Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2280 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2009 12:01 PM by tmiller06 RSS
jayazusa Legend 337 posts since
Jul 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2009 1:46 PM

New Runner Diet and Exercise Question

I am a new want to be runner, I have just completed week 1 of the Couch to 5K program and am feeling good.  I began to track what I am eating June 1st because I was unhappy with my overall Physical Fitness.  June 1st I weighed in at 217, I am 5'11" and 41 years old soon to be 42, it was time to make a change.  I did lots of research on line and figured out I should be at about 1800 Calories a day, further I am trying to keep the calories in the following break down, 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% or less fat.  The first 4 weeks I lost about 10 pounds so I thought time to add exercize, so I started walking my two dogs about 2 miles a day.  I then began to run in intervels with no structure.  After more time on line I have Discovered the C25k Program and decided this is the structure I need and want.  I have downloaded and tested varioud applications for my iPhone and decided I really like RunKeeper Pro tfor it's data capability, distance, speed, calories burned etc...  So over the last week I have been following the program , with the exception I did the program every day.  And after I complete the 30 minutes of Run/Walk I walk the dog an additional mile, all and all I am burning about 500 Calories per day onthe metered walking and jogging.  But I have started to plateau weight wise.

My question is as follows:

Am I getting enough Calories per day?

Is my body storing energy, insted or using it?

Finally if the break down of calories a good blend to support running?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Jay

Upcoming events:

• 6/6/2010 - San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon
  • ???

Completed:

• 4/17/2010 - 6th Annual Pat's Run 4.2 Miles, Tempe / Finished 29:34
  • 3/27/2010 - 4th Annual Laura's 5K Run/Walk, Scottsdale / Finished 22:46
  • 3/6/2010 - Run for Ryan's House Half Marathon, Scottsdale / Finished 1:47:03
  • 11/08/2009 - 34th Annual Phoenix 10K / Finished 51:56
  • spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    1. Jul 14, 2009 2:12 PM (in response to jayazusa)
    Re: New Runner Diet and Exercise Question

you need to eat less - if you are comsuming 1800 cals per day you are more of less breaking even with what you eat and what you burn - You are over estimating what are burning with the running plan -  you have to cover about 4 - 5 miles to burn 500 calories - even the last day of the C25K is only 3 miles - about 300 - 350 cals at most.

You have to weight / measure everything you eat to count the calories - to loose 1 lb per week you need a DAILY deficit of 500 cals - 1000 to loose 2lb per week. I would suggest you eat 1500 cals per day -  High protien low carb / fat - you are not doing that much exercise that you need a ton of carbs, eat 6 - 7 meals - every 2.5 - 3 hours you should be eating something. Don`t skip breakfast, drink lots of water

I`ve been following a 1250 - 1500 cal per day high protien diet for a few months and have lost a lot of weight and maintained all my muscle mass as swell as being able to run 15 mile training runs

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Shellerina Expert 47 posts since
    Oct 21, 2008
    3. Jul 16, 2009 4:15 PM (in response to jayazusa)

Jay:

I am assuming you are male based on your name, correct me if I'm wrong. According to the online calculator I use, a 41 y/o male who is 5'11" and weighs 209 and exercises five times per week needs about 2745 calories per day to maintain weight, 2196 for "fat loss" (their term). It sounds to me like you aren't getting enough calories so your body is storing what you consume. You also burn more calories than someone like me, a 48 y/o woman who is 5'2" and weighs around 102. In thirty minutes of running at an 11.5 minute per mile pace you will burn around 450 calories. I only burn around 220 calories at that pace in 30 minutes! (and I only need a little over 1500 calories a day to maintain my weight). I'm constantly having to remind my husband of this when he questions why I say no to foods when he doesn't. I keep telling him I don't need as many calories a day as he does! I'm no nutrional expert though so hopefully someone else can help you out with the breakdown of protein, carbs and fats.  Good luck and keep running, it will pay off in a lot of ways.

• tmiller06 Amateur 13 posts since
    Aug 17, 2009
    5. Aug 24, 2009 12:01 PM (in response to jayazusa)

I was reading through this thread and then found this article from Cool Running. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/162.shtml "Cool Running: The Runner's Diet." It says:

A healthy diet is one that is high in carbohydrates, low in fat, and

sufficient but not excessive in protein. That translates to about 60

percent of your calories coming from carbohydrates, 25 percent from

fat, and 15 percent from protein. As in all things, of course, every

individual is different and may respond better to slightly different

proportions. There is a significant minority of people, for example,

who are insulin resistant to some degree. For them, a diet of 60

percent carbohydrates will create big swings in insulin levels and too

much fat storage. In that case, a diet of 50 percent carbs, 25 percent

fat and 25 percent protein may make more sense.

The rest of the article has a bunch of really good information. Check it out!

Hope this helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points