Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1641 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2009 1:03 PM by leftyluckycat
achtungbaby Pro 132 posts since
Jun 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2009 6:16 PM

Heat Training Tips?

I have to be in Phoenix for work for the next three weeks and am wondering how reconcile the weather with my training schedule.  I was there for only a day about three weeks ago and was amazed by how absolute the heat was (around 100 degrees by 2pm).  I'm pretty adverse to running in the heat, which is why I'm thinking this might be a good opportunity to help change that.

Tips?  Is this even safe?  I'm only thinking of doing my easy runs (5 - 9 miles) in the heat and doing my speedwork on the treadmill (cuz I'm not like, crazy - crazy).  My long runs on the weekend will be done back home.

• 08/08 Nike Human Race 10K:  1:08:00
  • 11/08 Torrance Turkey Trot 5K:  26:20
  • 02/09 Surf City Half-Marathon:  2:06:12
  • 05/09 Santa Ynez Half-Marathon:  2:06:00
  • 10/09 Nike Women's Marathon: 4:46
  • 03/10 Los Angeles Marathon: 5:25
  • 10/10 Chicago Marathon: 4:12
  • 11/10 Torrance Turkey Trot 5k: 21:11
  • 12/10 California International Marathon (3:56)
  • 01/11 Kaiser Permanente Half-Marathon (1:50:10)
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jul 16, 2009 6:32 PM (in response to achtungbaby)
    Re: Heat Training Tips?

I talk to someone who lives and trains in Phoenix. He does most of his hot weather training in the very early morning, sometimes starting his long runs at 2:00 or 3:00 AM. I would either run on the treadmill or outside in the coolest part of the day / morning. Drink extra fluids. Sweat dries fast enough you may not realize how much you're sweating.

Len

Len

• cwarizona Amateur 80 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    2. Jul 16, 2009 8:06 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Unfortunately the LOW in Phoenix last night was 92 degrees.  Kind of hard to find a cool time to run when it's like that.  I live in a cooler part of AZ, but if I was in Phoenix I think I would have to move my runs to the treadmill, especially when it doesn't even get below 90.  Good luck!

C25K - Started March 16 2009, Completed May 14 2009 

Events:
    May 16 2009 - Armed Forces 5K, Fort Huachuca, Arizona - Time - 39:42.4; Pace - 12:46
    July 11 2009 - Steelhead Triathlon (800m swim, 13 mi bike, 5k run - team), Ft Huachuca, Arizona - Total Team Time 1:55:59.5

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Jul 16, 2009 8:27 PM (in response to achtungbaby)

One of my running friends used to live in nearby Tempe, AZ, whose weather is comparable to Phoenix's. In the summer he'd ALWAYS run before dawn and carry more water than he ever thought he'd need. By the way....you probably don't want to hear this, but summer daytime highs in the Phoenix area can (and do) often hit about 115 deg. A 100-deg day is relatively cool!

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    5. Jul 17, 2009 9:00 AM (in response to achtungbaby)

achtung - Just some general running in heat advice: bring lots of water/electrolyte and hydrate well, run in morning/evening if you can, go slower than normal, wear light (weight) running gear (light color if running in sun), sunscreen, etc.

I have never run in temps above 90F.  Let us know how it feels.

My only real experience running in heat is a marathon I ran last month in South El Monte (Whittier Narrows park).  Temp was about 70F at start and reached high 80s by the end.  I drank a lot more than usual.  I didn't go easy because I was racing.  My HR was higher than normal for the paces I was running.

BTW, just in case you are interested there is another marathon in Whittier Narrows park this weekend, July 19: http://www.charliealewineracing.com/

Small race of 10+ people doing loops in a park.  Cost is only $35!  Can't beat that

James

James
  • crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    7. Jul 17, 2009 9:04 PM (in response to AsphaltRunner)

Two additional thoughts on running in the heat - (1) If you wear a cap to shield against the sun, note a cap will tend to trap heat unless you keep it wet with water. (2) If there's shade along your course, take full advantage of it. Especially in a climate as dry as Phoenix's, temperatures will be noticeably cooler in the shade. And...When the National Weather Service reports forecast temperatures, those are shade temperatures.

I usually run in the Pasadena area and on summer weekends it's often up to 80 deg by 10 AM. My experience is that up to about 80 deg, I can run relatively normally except needing to drink more. Between about 80 and 90 deg, I can still run but definitely slowing down (up to a minute per mile slower than usual). Above 90 deg, the best I can do is "junk miles" at best, and I'd much rather be indoors. 

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• leftyluckycat Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 14, 2009
    9. Jul 27, 2009 1:03 PM (in response to achtungbaby)

It's safe if you do it right. I live in Austin, TX and I've been running in 90+ temps since late May. It'll be cooler if you go in the morning, but I go out right after sunset when it's still around 95 degrees out, and I haven't had any trouble. Be properly hydrated, wear light clothing, and let yourself get acclimated. I also never run in direct sunlight... that saps my energy instantly. At dawn or after sunset only in the summer. The heat definitely affects my endurance, but I'm gonna kick *** when the temperature finally drops later this year : )

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...