Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5634 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2009 7:07 AM by dcsport77 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Avchops Amateur 17 posts since
Jul 27, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 27, 2009 7:54 PM

Sore knees

Hi, I've been running on and off for a year now but only consistently for the last 4-5 months. I am training for my first marathon but recently experienced very sore knees on my weekly long run. Sore enough that I had to stop and even hobbled a bit before I could walk properly. It's very concerning as I am only 2 months from the marathon and should be doing a 30k  training run in 4 days time. I can feel my knees now just sitting at my desk - and I can feel them when walking, especially downhill. They aren't overly painful now, I'm just aware of them, but when I was running it was too painful to continue. Are there any tips for me to fix this fast ????

• MonicaJergs Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 10, 2009
    1. Jul 27, 2009 9:43 PM (in response to Avchops)
    Re: Sore knees

I have the same problem with my right knee.  Are you icing after every run?  Be sure to stretch really well also - a good quad stretch will help.  Also, my orthopaedic doctor told me to take 3-4 ibuprofen twice a day to keep inflammation down.  If you don't have an ortho doctor - get one and ask for help.  After all your training, you don't want to have to sit this marathon out!  Best of luck!

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. Jul 28, 2009 5:39 PM (in response to Avchops)

It could be the surface you run on, the shoes or your training regimen that lead to this. Your problem is probably chondromalacia also often called runners knee. The pain is usually in and below the knee cap. This can be caused by inflamation of the patella and under surface of the knee cap. Avoid doing squats, lunges, jumping for now as it will exacerbate the problem. Alieve (sodium naproxen) is better than ibuprofen as it doesn't slow healing. Get yourself a chondromal strap for each knee that hurts, (basically a thin strap with a notch for the knee cap) to help the knee track straight and decrease tenderness. Again can be found at good sports stores. I use one for my right knee and it does the trick. At this point nothing may help until you let your knee heal, at any rate try to run on dirt and make sure your shoes are no older than 6 mos and right for your foot. Once the pain has diminished you will need to do strengthening exercises for your quads and hamstrings to prevent re-occurance.

Personal Fitness Trainer LA

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    4. Jul 28, 2009 7:44 PM (in response to Avchops)

Sounds like IT band issues - if so it`s going to get worse - you need to foam roll - a LOT - 2 -3 times a day - see a chiropractor for active release therapy - also try a good sports massage as frequently as you can afford.

You canalso stretch out yout IT Band every few hours - you cross your legs and lean over - google IT band stretch

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    6. Jul 29, 2009 3:24 AM (in response to Avchops)

My IT Band was so bad I was practically unable to walk after a 10K - 2 visits to a chiropractor and I was running again - a week later I ran 15 miles - last week 17 - Don`t mess about go and see a doctor and a good chiropracter

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• phoofy73 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    7. Jul 29, 2009 5:13 AM (in response to Avchops)

<span class="jive-thread-reply-body-container">Thanks so much everyone. 'In and below the knee cap' is exactly right eek!! Eek is right! I'm totally new to running (started C25K this month) and am starting to get a slight dull pain in and below my (left) knee cap. I got fitted for running shoes, run mostly on concrete. I'm on Week 5 of the program, so the sensation is still mild, not painful, but I can feel it while at rest. I'd like to try and prevent it from getting worse if possible. Eek!

My Training

My Races

2009 Susan G. Komen Orange County Race for the Cure : September 27, 2009
    2009 Dana Point Turkey Trot : November 26, 2009
  • PcExpert Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    9. Jul 30, 2009 7:48 AM (in response to Avchops)

You're going to get a lot of suggestions on this topic. I would suggest you visit a doctor before you damage your knees any further. I ran my first marathon with ITB problems and finished, but my knee took years to recover. If I had it to do over again I would have taken two weeks off when the pain started, then instead of running I would have used the Eliptical machine for a week and then started running the week after that.

Glucosamine - works great, but it takes atleast 2 weeks to notice the difference.

I would NOT, do any deep stretches especially those that put pressure on your knees or run on hills. In addition to replacing your shoes you might want to have someone check you gait and stride. (local running club should be able to help)

http://www.crossloop.com/images/badge-sm-black.jpg  Affordable Computer help.
  • PcExpert Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    12. Aug 1, 2009 8:49 AM (in response to Avchops)

Chops,

Good to hear you're getting some treated for your knees. To answer your question about the treadmill. In my opinion I think it's easier on my joints than road running. It's an even surface and there is a lot more give when your foot lands on it. Even though it's too hot for me to run outside during the weekdays I think I will continue to run on the treadmill on my easy days to allow my legs a full recovery from hard runs.

Good luck with your training!

http://www.crossloop.com/images/badge-sm-black.jpg  Affordable Computer help.
  • dcsport77 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 21, 2009
    13. Aug 21, 2009 9:10 PM (in response to Avchops)

I must know how the running is going after these last few weeks.  I happened upon this thread because I was having the EXACT problems with my left knee.  I am training for my first marathon in October and have been struggling with the longer runs.  My knee hurt me today so bad that I had to stop at mile 7 of 16.  I was so disappointed in myself.  It is so difficult to deal with because my mind wanted me to keep going, yet my knee wanted me to stop.  I worry that if I take some time off I won't get the miles in to complete the marathon. 

Please let me know what things helped and if you're back to running the longer distances.   

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points