Skip navigation

65295 Views 115 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2009 3:58 PM by TriDave2 RSS 1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next
benditlikebunker Amateur 24 posts since
Jul 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2009 9:57 PM

What's wrong with racing in a speedo??

I just completed a sprint triathlon about a week ago. I finished third overall, but as I was leaving I was insulted(more like yelled and cussed at) for racing in a speedo. The gentleman who yelled at me wouldnt let up and I was provoked into an arguement(more like a fight) over racing in a speedo.

The question I have is, what is wrong with racing in a speedo? Are people that prude? 

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 29, 2009 5:45 AM (in response to benditlikebunker)
    Re: What's wrong with racing in a speedo??

sounds like the guy has issues. probably more upset he lost to a guy running in his underwear j/k

nothing wrong with it. it's old school and if you are fast enough to back it up 9and everything is tucked in/cover up) who cares?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Mumps McLeod Amateur 10 posts since
    Aug 25, 2008
    2. Jul 29, 2009 6:32 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

Yeah, I'd say the guy was a jerk.  If there's nothing in the rules against it, why not?  People run 5ks in little more than that all the time.

I agree that it's old school.  I got passed last year by a guy about twice my age in one, but had nothing but respect for him - racing in a banana hammock at 60 demonstrates confidence!

• masochist Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    3. Jul 29, 2009 9:39 AM (in response to benditlikebunker)

What's wrong with racing in a speedo? ... The fact that you would even ask indicates your level of cluelessness ... Tacky, outdated, lame and generally just plain "dorky" ... Get over the 80's and buy a 2xU body suit or two piece kit, much classier and better performance and instead of having someone attack you, you'll get compliments ... The only way you could possible get away with a speedo is if your first name was "Scott" and your last "Tinley"

"Remember, there's no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"

~ Mr. Garrison

• sweatequity Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 12, 2008
    4. Jul 29, 2009 9:46 AM (in response to benditlikebunker)

To each his own. As far as getting into an arguement over apparel with a stranger that is just redicilious and unsportman like. I can just see my friends now.... Its bad enough the abuse I get from friends and family over shaving my legs!!!!

We are generally a supportive community and if you want to go old school so be it. There is no place for that type of behavior in our sport.

Read my journey as a novice triathlete with a can do attitude at The Triathlon Optimist.
  • swimbackstrk4 Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 28, 2009
    5. Jul 29, 2009 10:13 AM (in response to benditlikebunker)

Nothin wrong with it at all!! I wear a speedo sometimes as well! I'm a swimmer though so I'm used to always wearing a speedo. Yeah it's old school, but old school is coming back! hah

• AlFrente Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    6. Jul 29, 2009 11:04 AM (in response to masochist)

This responder, like the original banana hammock objector, would do the community and himself a favor by lightening up. Your rant is in bad taste whether I happen to agree with your sense of clothing style or not. No excuse for bad manners, and your target is especially trivial.

Jul 29, 2009
    7. Jul 29, 2009 11:27 AM (in response to AlFrente)

Really?  Lighten up?  Just because someone offers a valuable tip ... i.e. Speedos look absolutely ridiculous ... Doesn't mean a personal affront should be taken ... There's are reason nobody wears them anymore.  They look goofy and lame ... really, really lame ... And I'm guessing no one on this board (including myself) is posting times that would allow them to wear whatever they want  ... Old school is considered old for a reason!  I'm guessing certain parties here still like women with big hair, stone washed jeans, and frilly socks ...  Get with the program ... You might as well look cool even if you're not!!!  LOL

Outta here ...

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jul 29, 2009 11:46 AM (in response to masochist)

LMAO! nice rant M but the origianl poster aka speedo boy was 3rd overall the speedo may be goofy looking but it works for him (and that scruffy Faris Al Sultan)  don't worry too much about doubt the speedo will ever make a big comeback - which is a good thing. wow didnt' think I'd be talking about men's fashion so much today.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• soraya s Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    9. Jul 29, 2009 1:40 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

My friend told her friends from England that here in the US Speedo's were illegal and marched them to the store!:^0

Jul 29, 2009
    10. Jul 29, 2009 2:51 PM (in response to masochist)

Last decade style might be worth a smirk or a witty jab if it's a friend. Rudeness from a dog slow wanker (just reading between the lines "M") obsessed with strangers' fashion  needs a work over.

Tip from a concerned citizen...  train harder so you can be ahead of the speedo dude and then you won't have to look. Or stare at people you do approve of and don't worry about the rest.

Does your superficial self inflate almost to man-size when you rail away at differently dressed 3rd place finishers? And you're calling him lame? Attaboy champ!

Get up to speed loser. You might as well be cool.... looking cool is only fooling yourself. Best of luck with that.

"Masochist?" you da man.

Jul 29, 2009
    11. Jul 29, 2009 3:55 PM (in response to AlFrente)

well, since a certain special someone wants to be personal ... I weigh in at 200 lbs but race in the open division.  with only 4 triathlons completed my worst finish in age group was .... 1st, overall 15th ... yeah, I sink like a stone when in the water but always come out of the water top third.  off the bike, never been lower than 3rd into transition ... So, to AlDente ... who's the guy that guy that says to himself as I blur by on my pinarello "Man, he could break me in half like a twig" ... Speedos are still a tragedy even if you do swing lumber and rock a 10 out of 10 ... Bottomline, you choose to dress like a dweeb, expect some abuse ... lol (lowercase because ripping you up isn't much of an accomplishment) ... Toodles ...

Jul 29, 2009
    12. Jul 29, 2009 4:27 PM (in response to masochist)

OK, M, you're sounding sadder all the time, sorry I encouraged that. Channel your aggression into something useful, son. And leave them kids alone.

Bottom line, if you choose to talk like a dweeb, expect some abuse.

Happy racing, and good luck with all your other "accomplishments"!

• jtzoom Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2008
    13. Jul 29, 2009 5:28 PM (in response to AlFrente)

Masochist, I too am impressed with your "accomplishments".  YOu sound so BBIIG and SSTRONG.

Speedos leave are somewhat immodest, but certainly a choice.  I suppose that a competitor who chooses to make a comment is one thing, the choice to enter into an altercation is entirely another.  I can imagine if the dude was following you around he ought to get popped in the kisser, but if only a comment is made then walking away may be easier.  Sometimes if we discover that our behavior draws uneccessary attention it may be best to do something different.  What do you think?

~woosh

• soraya s Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    14. Jul 29, 2009 8:47 PM (in response to jtzoom)

I guess if I ran in a bikini someone would complain!..:^0.And I would not blame him or her!

1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...