Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13104 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2009 10:24 AM by SimonnR Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 6, 2009 7:20 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: August - 50 Plus Racing, Training, Running

Last Sunday night after church DW and I did the ab/core workout from p90x.   Monday no sign of soreness.  Tues soreness came and got worse.  Wednesday every breath I knew I had done the workout.  Still today I'm a bit sore.  And I didn't even do the whole workout nor the intensity that they did.   Last night did the leg/back workout.  Legs were tired when I finished and again I couldn't do it all or the intensity they did.   The only thing I kept up with was the calf raises.  hmmm  So we will see what this cross training brings.

With tired legs this morning I was expecting a ez run.  But the miles just seemed to float by.  Avg 7:22 pace running relatively ez.   Will run again tonight and then do my long run a day early/tomorrow.

I thought the rule of thumb for LT running was what you could run in an hour at a hard (but not race) pace.    In Hudson's new book he doesn't give a specific definition for LT; or if he did I missed it.   I am liking his mantra of changing speeds and not getting in a rut.  I always liked to run at what pace came to me but I see now I have force myself to run harder at times.   This heat is forcing me to modify even his workouts until it cools off.   p90x is similar in that they advocate changing positions for workouts and even alternating workouts etc so that the body is always adapting.  I think that's what Hudson would advocate.

Have a good one.  Ribz - you home?

Aug 14, 2007
    35. Aug 7, 2009 9:14 AM (in response to fred-urie)

That's a nice workout Fred.

Thanks for that piece on Amanda.  I LOVE that kind of desire.  That really can't be taught to that desire.

20 miles this morning on my 10 mile hilly loop.  first 10 cautious at 8:30 miles and finished at sun up.  second 10 alone at 7:51 avg pace.  Very happy with the results considering heat, humidity, hills, and last week's bonk.

Have been wanting to do some cross training for a while.  Bought P90X off ebay at half price and it sat around a week or so.   So Sunday last week I did the ab/core workout.  Mon no big deal. Tues a bit sore, Wed really sore, Thurs could feel it almost every breath.      So thurs night we do the leg/back  workout.  Lots of lunges, squats, wall sitting.  I substituted push ups for pull ups as no pull up bar.  Yesterday and today my rear end and hamstrings hurt like nobodies business.  Can't sit on anything hard or sit or get up from anything lower than knee level.    What a wimp I am!!

I wonder if Euphoric just got on her bike and never stopped?

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Aug 8, 2009 8:41 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Great educational posts Fred; thank you.

Yes, I am back.  This week just killed me with the travel and then coming home again to the heat.  As KS notes, it is brutal in TX and he has it worse than I do.  You just have to be patient with it.  I ran half the miles (25) this week, as I did last (50).  I head out again tomorrow (Indianapolis and Cincinnati) for the entire week, so I will run when I can.

I don't know if I mentioned I am running Hood to Coast end of August.  I run 3 legs totalling just 17+ miles, so I should be okay.  Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    37. Aug 8, 2009 9:23 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Ditto about the posts Fred.  Keep 'em coming.

Ribz - H2C sounds like a fun time.  Enjoy

Ran 11.26 ez miles this morning save for running over the harbor bridge and back.

Have a good weekend all.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Aug 9, 2009 8:40 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Entered a 15K race this morning with no high hopes but just to get some good work in.  Plan was 9 min/miles and actual was 8:58's so I am okay.  What was disappointing is how stupidly I ran it however.  I need to forget old paces and relearn where I am right now.  I should have run the first mile in 9:05, not 8:10 for example.  Because of the heat, the race started at 6:30 a.m., a great idea but I still needed a ton of water.  I stopped at every aid station, drank two cups and poured another over my head, so I spent anywhere from 15 to 45 seconds at every one and there were six of them.  I need to get my head out of my butt and think a bit better.

Flying out in a couple of hours.  Will check in from Indianapolis.  Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    41. Aug 10, 2009 6:02 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning all.

Sunday rested

Monday 5.75 brisk miles with one of my out of shape training partners. 

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    44. Aug 11, 2009 11:20 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi all! I always feel I am a day behind because I run at night, so I am reading about your Tuesday runs, and mine has not yet happened..oh well..

I liked the remark about the "real racing" from Tony; true enough, the first 3/4 of the race you are just putting yourself in a position to finish in a given time. In other words, you cannot win the race in the first 3/4 of the distance, but you can definitely lose it! 

Last couple of weeks have been slightly low mileage for me, around 40 miles each. My 16 mile long run on Sunday was shortened to 10.6 by a lightning display that had me running for home and keeping an eye on the ditch as I went. Fear is a great motivator, ran "lightning fast"!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...