Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11981 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2009 10:24 AM by SimonnR RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Aug 11, 2009 1:53 PM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: August - 50 Plus Racing, Training, Running

One of my "rules" of running that I NEVER violate, is one I violated this week and again I was reminded, don't violate this rule!

If you are ever going to take a day off, NEVER take it the day after a race or hard workout.  EVER!  But yesterday I had a very long day, from early morning til late and I was beat, so I made up my mind that I was going to take the day off, even though I raced on Sunday.  So today is Tuesday and I headed out after work to do the recovery run I should have done yesterday.  A bit over 3 miles slow, and I could just feel the stiffness in my quads and calves.  I really should have forced myself to go out yesterday, take today off and then I bet I would run super tomorrow.  So I will see how tomorrow goes.

I'm in  a really nice Hyatt Regency in Indianapolis and I ran to the White River, then over a bridge to the other side, then along it on the far bank, over another bridge and back to the hotel.  The hotel "Jogger's Map" says this was 3.4 miles.  I would say it was about 3 miles.  A guy in the elevator said to me, "Yeah, it's like those executive golf courses that say the hole is 380 yards long and you drive the green."  Good analogy!   Spareribs

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    46. Aug 12, 2009 7:37 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

That's true about the distance, Ribs, although I don't play golf...

Here are a couple of photos of myself at my most recent 10k- the action shot seems to make the muscles in my leg look really weird! (Just above the knee.) I am near the finish so running hard, and have all my weight on one leg, but not sure if this is normal, I don't see other peoples legs look like that. Does everything seem ok to you guys, or should I get this looked at?

Thanks, Simon.

Attachments:
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    47. Aug 12, 2009 7:48 AM (in response to fred-urie)

SimmonR - Heck, I'd be bragging about those muscles.  Nothing wrong.

Ohhhh   Siiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrraaaa?

I posted this earlier and now it doesn't show up?   Maybe I didn't hit the post button?   Last night tried 3 mi warmup; 6 X 800; 3 mile cool down.  INstead ran 1.5; 2 X 800 and 1 x 400; and 1.5 cool down.  still 100 degree index at 6:00 p.m.   Will have to run tempos and a few surges till later in the fall.   12 miles of hills this morning in 7:58 pace.   72 degrees on it's way to about 99 plus index today.   come on fall!!

Aug 14, 2007
    51. Aug 12, 2009 2:23 PM (in response to fred-urie)

AOD new method?   Splain the graph Fred.

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    52. Aug 12, 2009 3:32 PM (in response to fred-urie)

wow, Fred. Hard NOT to be influenced by a guy like that.  He is like a 21st century Renassance man.

I will second KS question. what's AOD new method?

Aug 14, 2007
    57. Aug 15, 2009 12:25 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Hey all,  Tried to post Friday morning but I just couldn't seem to get it to work. 

Thurs. 5.75 a.m. between ez and brisk.  5.75 p.m. and got to smoking it a bit.  Fastest garmin pace was 5:18 for a short distance on mile 5.

Fri. 10 miles of hills at 8:10 pace.

Sat.  scheduled 22 miles ez.  Ended up with 17 at 8:38 pace.  Sun came up and just scorched us.  I'm hoping that these hot runs will convert to longer and a bit faster when we hit some cool weather.

• runninchicken Amateur 12 posts since
    Feb 8, 2008
    58. Aug 15, 2009 4:54 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Well I haven't been here for a LONG while. Getting ready to run a half at the end of Sept. Monday 6 at 7:45 pace, Wed 5 at 7:02 pace, Friday hilly 7 at 7:45 pace. Tommorow will run with the marathon training group 16 at 8:30 pace...Its going to be warm.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    59. Aug 16, 2009 8:46 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hope you post often runninchicken. 

12 slow miles for me today at 9:43's.  Can't even blame the temps (84) or humidity (65%), and it was breezy.  Just one of those days I guess.  Spareribs

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...