Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11158 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2009 10:24 AM by SimonnR RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    91. Aug 26, 2009 5:27 PM (in response to Spareribs823)
    Re: August - 50 Plus Racing, Training, Running

Hoping you enjoy yourself with H2C, SpareRibs, and good luck.

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    92. Aug 27, 2009 9:06 AM (in response to BobTheNerd)

Hi all!

Nice cool day today, I am looking forward to running after work  did 10 miles at a relaxed pace last night, and though I have shortened many runs this month because of heat the monthly total should be not too bad; better than last year anyway.

Ribs, I saw on RA that you had a birthday a couple of days back, Happy Birthday!

Fred, I am always amazed at  what elite can do, in training as well as racing, they are so far above the norm it is incredible. I think this is true of all sports, sometimes, as in tennis, you can see it on television, but often you need to see the sport live.

Incidentally, I spoke to a women recently who used to be a decent rower, not elite but club level. her lightweight four could row 5k in 22 minutes, as fast as I can run the distance.

• runninchicken Amateur 12 posts since
    Feb 8, 2008
    93. Aug 28, 2009 5:48 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Goog morning

Intervals this morning at a comfortable 54F. 1m warm up, 1/2 mile in 3:00 1/2, mile in 4:00. Repeated 6 times over a relativly flat course 1 mile cooldown.  Average pace 7:15. Did some stretching and core work. Tommorow bar-b-que for 400 people and run long on Sunday.

Good runs to all

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    94. Aug 28, 2009 11:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Nice runs R.C. and SimonnR.

Thurs 5.75 miles a.m. at 7:01 avg pace.   5.75 miles p.m. at 7:35 pace

Fri. 10 miles of hills at 7:40.

Hopefully tomorrow 22 getting progressively faster the longer I go.

Temps are a few degrees cooler in the morning and humidity is down to about 70% but the afternoons are still breaking records.  Well over 100 index this afternoon.

Read about the 2008 masters runner of the year.  Can't find the article or his name right now.   47 or 48 years old and he ran 14:3X for a 5k.   I have a long way to go!!

I think Ribz starts his HTC race today.  Go Ribz

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    95. Aug 28, 2009 1:30 PM (in response to ksrunr)

I'll second all the good runs everyone (Fred, Simon, RunningChicken) has had lately. It sounds like you've gotten some good runs in, KS, in training for your next marathon. AND, in that 100 degree index heat. I found in Vermont how draining the humid heat can be. I'm glad to be back in the dry heat, though I don't run in it....it's going to be 105 today.

I feel like I've been on the slow boat but that's just the way it is right now. I feel I should be doing my intervals in the 8:00 range. Last weekend, before my cold/flu set in, I did an 8:30 pace for a couple of 400s on the treadmill, and they felt OK.  I think I generally run slower than I'm capable of but I'm accostomed to that and it seems to work for me. Still, when I read about the pace that you all run, I think I should pick it up more often than I do. As a measure, I use my fastest times in my late 20s, 30s for half-marathons, which averaged 6:15-7 mpm.

I ran 5 miles on Wed and 4 miles yesterday on the track. It didn't worsen the cold/flu any but today I may take off.  I sliced my finger yesterday too while opening a can of dog good. It probably required stitches but I just bandaged it and ran. Got a tetanus shot just in case. The Santa Clarita half marathon is in November so I'll have to pick things back up again soon.

Good runs to all, and look forward to the race report, Ribs(z)

• runninchicken Amateur 12 posts since
    Feb 8, 2008
    98. Aug 30, 2009 6:42 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Ran the same long run as last week 12.6 hilly miles at 8:20 pace. Felt very good at the end. Time for some free range eggs and ham . Thanks chickens.

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    99. Aug 30, 2009 8:13 AM (in response to runninchicken)

It was a beautiful morning here in north Austin, even now only 71 degrees.  I have been wanting to get off of the treadmill and do some neighborhood running instead. Ramping up a weekend "long" run seems like a good way to get there.  Did one mile walk/run with Nerdlet  and a hilly five mile slow run.

It's all good.

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    100. Aug 30, 2009 5:57 PM (in response to BobTheNerd)

It's a hot Sunday afternoon here in the Ojai Valley (96 degrees now, down from a peak of 100). It was cool this morning, though. Yesterday the virus seemed to ebb and I ran 5 miles on the rubber track. This morning was 2 miles on the track, and 6 more on the roads. Both were steady state slow with some spurts here and there of 8:30 or so. It felt good to go for a longish run again.

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    102. Aug 31, 2009 10:24 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi all!

Sierra, that is just too hot to run, time for a swim!

Al Salazar should know all about training too hard!  I have been reading "Lore of running" by Tim Noakes, which has most of a chapter on this subject, quite interesting.

Runninchicken, I liked your speed workout with alternating 800s, though I would have to "adjust" the pace!

Very cool yesterday, did my long run at 61 degrees/16C. First 17kms(10.6 miles) at 5:30/8:50 pace then the last 10k in 51:09. Best run in quite a while!

Simon.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...