Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12275 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2009 10:24 AM by SimonnR 1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 2, 2009 10:35 AM

August - 50 Plus Racing, Training, Running

Aug. 1 - 20 miles plus

5:40 AM 5 mile warmup, 25  times 10 seconds hard with a 10 second float = HR 146, 14 mile warmdown

( 6 with Bill ), 62F and ground fog to start.

81 for the week with 4 speed days.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Aug 1, 2009 10:09 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: August - 50 Plus Racing, Training, Running

Good Fred.  I had 50 this week, no speed at all.  Today was 6 slow in a pouring t'storm.  Spareribs

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    2. Aug 1, 2009 6:45 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Way to go, SpareRibs.  Cant have a more solid year than that!

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Aug 1, 2009 7:38 PM (in response to BobTheNerd)

Wow - Fred is fast and even got his heart rate up a bit!!

Bonked big time today.  Plan was 18 at M.P. plus 10% or 7:35.   Was running avg of 7:38 at mile 13 and the wheels just blew up.  Finished running and walking another 2.5 miles.  Running avg. 7:45 per mile.     I think I've had 3 quality weeks plus heat and humidity were typical again today.  We have had 55 days over 95 degrees already this year. Last year we had 5 to this date.   Just now starting to feel okay after resting all day.  Will definitely cut back some intensity next week saving for the long run and also cut back some mileage.

cya tomorrow.

• SumoRunner Expert 36 posts since
    Aug 15, 2005
    4. Aug 2, 2009 3:39 AM (in response to ksrunr)

In upstate NY we have had zero days at 90 or over this year. Even 85 has been rare. It was the wettest July on record with 9.9 inches of rain. And the trend continues with storms moving in today as well. Since I don't run well in hot/humid conditions, it suits me fine.

Dec 14, 2007
    5. Aug 2, 2009 9:12 AM (in response to SumoRunner)

Sumo, I gather from that handle you are a big guy.  Where are you in "Upstate NY"?  In NY State, people in the City think that anything north of the Bronx is "upstate."  I am from Cornwall, NY right near West Point, on the Hudson River, but live in Dallas, TX now.

Nice weather for a change today, just 80 degrees and 72% humidity.  I thought I would be tired after  a 50 mile week but I felt good, probably because it was cool.  11 miles at 9:11 pace. 

I travel to Cleveland tomorrow and have two days of pretty intense work, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on my feet all day.  I will take Tuesday off I think.   Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    7. Aug 2, 2009 11:53 AM (in response to fred-urie)

You've had a terrific running year, Ribs. I think the heart surgery and its aftermath are well on their way out the door.

In a few days I'm traveling by Amtrak from here in Calif. to Vermont with my mom, and we'll spent a week there before returning by train with a stop over in Taos, NM for a few days. Back on Aug. 23rd. I'm attending a non-work related conference in Vermont. I'll check in when I can. They're having thunderstorms every afternoon there now but it looks like it may clear up some by the time we arrive. I hope notI love East Coast summer rains. It's only in the 70s as well. I'm looking forward to going back to a familiar town (my grad school is there)great place to run.

Last week I ended up with 28 miles as I took off from running on Friday unexpectedly as I spent the day with my husband before he left to go on a 10-day hiking trip in the Sierra, and by the time I went out for a run in the afternoon, it was hot and I was tired (still not sleeping much). It was fine, though---28 or 32, it doesn't make that much of a difference. I ran 5 yesterday on the HS track.

Today it was muggy by 8 am, but cool. I slept better last night than I have in 5 days. I ran a slow 7 miles in the hills around the Valley, with an increase in pace for the last couple of miles on the track. Then pushups and other upper body work and stretches. Like you, Ribs, I'm content to go slow for now. I'm planning to run the first three days of this week as I'll be sitting on a train (and loving it--we'll see some beautiful country) for 2 1/2 days.

Take care all.

Aug 14, 2007
    9. Aug 3, 2009 5:08 AM (in response to fred-urie)

It looks like no damage from the Saturday disaster.   5.75 mi at 7:11 avg pace this morning.  Not too hard and not too easy.   Will forego the evening run this week.

Have a good day all.

Dec 14, 2007
    10. Aug 3, 2009 7:44 AM (in response to ksrunr)

1.1 slow on the dirt, just enough to get loose, then a flex and core workout at the Y.  I'm all packed and off to Cleveland.  Tomorrow if my first day off in a couple of weeks, but I hope to get in a good run on Wednesday.  I work long hours when I travel.   Spareribs

Aug 15, 2005
    11. Aug 3, 2009 8:22 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Spareribs, I'm just north of Albany. I got that nickname about 15 years ago from a training partner when I weighed about 250. Yeah, I'm still a big guy, 204 lbs and 5'6". I have a long history running and writing about running in the Capital District.  I've been subscribed to this forum for many years but post very seldom.

Aug 15, 2005
    12. Aug 3, 2009 8:31 AM (in response to SierraLauren)

I can't tell from the statement

"I think the heart surgery and its aftermath are well on their way out the door."

whether it was Sierra or Spareribs that had the heart surgery. Whomever it is, I've been there as well. I frequent two web forums, valvereplacement.com and cardiacathletes.uk.co that specialize in heart related discussions and exercise. I have an artificial aortic valve since 1991 and have run more miles and more races after heart surgery than I ever did before. There's a meetup this October at the Wineglass Marathon in Corning NY, of a bunch of Cardiac Athletes, some doing the full, some doing the 3 person relay. In prior years we have had teams at Vermont City and Jersey Shore Marathons.

Aug 14, 2007
    13. Aug 3, 2009 8:58 AM (in response to SumoRunner)

Sumo - congrats for your health, recovery, and racing.  It was Ribz who had the heart work done.  We think they installed a washing machine motor in place of his heart.   He is well on the comeback trail.

Looks like there is a forum for everything if you can find them. 

Aug 15, 2005
    14. Aug 3, 2009 6:11 PM (in response to ksrunr)

health > My health has never been a problem. I had a valve defect from an early age that eventually needed to be replaced, but was always fit and was running for decades before valve replacement. I ran a mile the day before open heart surgery.

recovery > That took place in a span of just weeks 18 years ago. Scarcely a blip in my training logs that span 30+ years. I was out of commission longer due to plantar fasciitis once.

racing > I run about 1,000 miles and 10-20 races each year. I'm more a fan of track & field than marathon distances, never had the desire to do one. I'm also a shot putter, BTW. This summer alone, since the end of May I have done 18 events at 8 T&F meets plus two 5Ks and one 8 miler. I have another meet Tuesday night and two 5Ks next week, one on roads and one European style XC. That means rocks, logs, water crossings, etc.. My biggest race each year is 15k or 10 miles.

At 61 I'm not fast, just prolific.

1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...