Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2695 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2009 5:57 PM by YeahJohn
YeahJohn Pro 103 posts since
Jun 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 11, 2009 10:36 AM

Sprint Tri Destruction. Help me understand.

I had a fun training race over the weekend. The only issue was it did not end up being that fun. I put up my worst race time ever and experienced more pain in places I never new existed. For starters, the swim was brutal, the surf was rather large and the current was ripping. Coming out of the water my legs were in extreme pain. I have no kick so I am not sure what the deal was, any ideas? To add to my poor time I came into the bike racks and could not find my bike (kind of good because I was out of the water faster than most but really bad beacuse my T1 was almost 3 minutes!). When I got on my bike my legs were already in pain and with in seconds my bones under my butt started to hurt really bad. I am strongest on the bike and have never felt pain in my butt until Saturday, nor have I ever had leg fatigue at the begining on the ride. What was going on with my body? I struggled through the bike but it all ended up coming down to a brutally painful run in which I was so glad it was only a sprint and not anything larger. I wanted to stop so bad on the run, it literally felt like someone took a baseball bat and hit me between the legs as hard as possible. I have never felt pain leg that before during a brick workout or race. All of this equaled my below times and I am still sore! Any advice? Have you ever experienced similar pain? Thanks in advanced.

Age 25

Age group 46/88

Overall 373/968

500m Open Water Swim 0:15:03

T1 0:02:42

30k Ride 1:00:07

T2 0:01:28

5k Run 0:27:14

Finishing time 1:46:34

• TIME LORD Amateur 26 posts since
    Aug 26, 2008
    1. Aug 11, 2009 12:13 PM (in response to YeahJohn)
    Re: Sprint Tri Destruction. Help me understand.

Just a thought but  maybe the answer is in your first comment. You called it a fun training race so I am wondering if it was your original intent to treat it as a training race rather than say an "A" race that you tapered for. I have found in the past that training races can leave you feeling down especially if you then compare your time to everyone elses.  Sure every race can't be an A race so we call some training races and we don't modify our training around them,  we just train normally and do the race like it was an everday  training ride/run/swim. If the race was on a Sunday maybe we kept in a hard key session on the Saturday. Maybe as it was a training race we didn't prepare quite the same way we would normally, maybe we decided not to use our best equipment - ie for me in the past this was using my training bike rather than my best bike for a cycle race.  At the start maybe you didn't pysch yourself up like you would for an A event , maybe you started at the back of the swim as you were approaching it from a training race mentality, ie you may have had some training objectives but winning wasn't one of them.  For a training race this is all maybe justified but like I said at the start the problem comes when afterwards you start comparing how you did to everyone else, the majority of whome may have been racing for real and of course they would have done better than you. Like I said just a thought. Alternately maybe you are coming down with a cold or something. Whatever the reason don't dwell on it and move on.

• tripolson Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    2. Aug 11, 2009 2:53 PM (in response to YeahJohn)

I'd check my training log with an eye toward the possibility of overtraining. It's one thing to be a little flat during a race if you haven't tapered for it. To experience serious pain, on the other hand, indicates that you have injuries that are not healing. Look at your training volume and intensity as well as how much rest you've been getting. If you've gone more than about four weeks without taking a rest week, it's probably time.

Secondly, as Timelord mentioned, you might have been coming down with a cold or flu. If that was the case I assume you've figured it out by now. A couple of days off is definitely in order if you're sick.

• tripolson Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    4. Aug 11, 2009 3:56 PM (in response to YeahJohn)

With the usual caveat about diagnosing problems via internet...

A full day off per week is great, but every four weeks or so you should be scheduling a recovery week in which you scale back volume and intensity to about 70 percent of the previous week's training.  After the recovery week you start up again at about the level you were at prior to the recovery week.  Just increasing your workload every week will eventually tear you down.

The pain you're talking about could be pulled muscles, tendonitis or any other microtrauma that gets lumped into the category of overuse injuries ( I assume you're talking about something different than normal muscle cramping).  If you haven't been scheduling recovery weeks, try one now.  If I'm in a hard training cycle, I also like to get a massage during the recovery week to help loosen everything up.  I also usually schedule a longer brick workout at the end of the recovery week - generally a longer race pace ride followed by race pace mile intervals.  My performance on those bricks gives me a pretty good feel for whether I'm sufficiently recovered to start another build cycle.

• TIME LORD Amateur 26 posts since
    Aug 26, 2008
    5. Aug 11, 2009 5:29 PM (in response to YeahJohn)

Okay looking at this logically , what we know is you did your slowest time ever , your legs hurt , the tide/current was strong and we also know you came out the water faster than most. Taking these one at a time , how did your time compare to other triathletes whose times you watch was it a bad time in relation to other competitors times or maybe everyone was slow. If you came out the water ahead of most maybe it was actually a comparatively good swim . Maybe your legs hurt because you actually did use them to fight the current. Maybe the consequent hard bike ride was then only to be expected?.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...