Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4033 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2009 7:51 AM by frannie1!nycap.rr.com
honguito Pro 135 posts since
Dec 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 11, 2009 5:12 PM

2010 Half Ironman 70.3 - special event

Dear friends !

I have been into the tri - "business" now for over two years, I have done lots of Olympic distance and Sprint distance events, and I will be doing my first half Ironman (locally) on Aug 29. I live in Guatemala, Central America.

Now for next year I plan to do a really big and nice event, anywhere in the US, Canada, Mexico or even South America. It should be a special event, nice scenery, good organization, interesting program, etc.

Can anyone recommend an event ? I understand that for most of these competitions you have to sign up really early, that is why I am asking already now.

Thanks for your help

Gunter

www.triatlonca.org

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 12, 2009 6:10 AM (in response to honguito)
    Re: 2010 Half Ironman 70.3 - special event

check out timberman in new hampshire in august www.timbermantri.com and the half vineman in northern california in late july/august. I love both these races.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• lsutriguy Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007
    2. Aug 12, 2009 10:17 PM (in response to honguito)

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans was amazing!  It is the biggest half in the world with 3000 athletes and more spectators than I have ever seen at any other event.  The city is so welcoming to any event and everyone loves to party and cheer on the athletes.  The 09 was it's first time, so it was a little disorganized at the end but they should learn from last year to make 2010 even better

• TriBri71 Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    3. Aug 14, 2009 12:50 PM (in response to honguito)

If you are looking for something unique, consider Wildflower Long Course (Lake San Antonio, CA). The course is crazy hard (especially the run!), but for a weekend you'll camp out with thousands of other triathletes. It really is "Woodstock" of triathlon.

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    4. Aug 14, 2009 7:24 PM (in response to honguito)

2 thoughts:  1. Rev3 in Middlebury CT in early June.  A very beautiful course but rather difficult.  Matty Reed won this year and claimed it was the hardest race he had done. Very nice swim, brutal bike and then a hard run.  2. If you have family and want to make a vacation, do the Florida 70.3.  Its in Disney and if you can deal with the heat, you can do very well. The rest of your time can be with the family at all the parks.  Both races are very well run and organized, but the geography is dramatically different.  Florida - flat and humid, Rev3 - hilly and cool.

• spoonio Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    5. Aug 15, 2009 6:54 PM (in response to honguito)

Hands down... you must do the Half Silverman in Las Vegas which will probably be November 7, 2010. You will be in a tough race with Chris McCormack and will have Dave Scott on hand hanging around spreading his aura.

http://www.silvermannv.com/

Remember.... and I will put this in futbol terms... Silverman is like the World Cup... you can taste the anticipation and energy in the air.

You can watch last years race here...

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&ATCLID=3642898

(I am in orange during the intro when it shows the words across the screen "Worlds Most Grueling Triathlon")

• frannie1!nycap.rr.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 22, 2008
    6. Aug 17, 2009 7:51 AM (in response to honguito)

I'm also a huge fan of Timberman.   Not only is it a great race, but it's a fun, party atmosphere which lasts the entire weekend!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points