Skip navigation

2386 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2009 12:46 PM by pacificfit RSS
honguito Pro 135 posts since
Dec 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 13, 2009 6:30 PM

Breakfast before 70.3 Ironman

Dear friends !

I have been doing many triathlons before, all of them starting in the early morning, usually between 7 and 9 am.

I usually eat one or two slices of white bread with jam or honey in the early morning before a competition, and I have no problem with that.

Now I will be doing a 70.3 Half-Ironman in two weeks time, and the starting time is 12:00 noon !!!! I have no idea what I should eat in the morning. My usual two slices of bread in the morning will be too little to keep me going.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Gunter

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    1. Aug 14, 2009 4:16 AM (in response to honguito)
    Re: Breakfast before 70.3 Ironman

Consider eating what you eat before a long afternoon ride.  I'd try to go low fiber and slow the water intake about an hour before the race to reduce the chances of extra bathroom breaks.

• HWKICVO Pro 51 posts since
    Nov 21, 2008
    2. Aug 14, 2009 7:26 AM (in response to honguito)

Over the next few weeks be sure to try out some food before a long ride to see how you feel.  I did a 70.3 a few weeks back and I ate a peanut butter sandwich and a granola bar about an hour before race time.  Also, since it's a longer race be sure to get some actual food in you while on the bike.  Gu and Gatorade is great but I find that some solid food definitely helps...be sure to practice with that as well.

Good luck on your race, is this your first one?  That's an unusual start time for such a long race but at least you wont be rushed in the morning!

• Silky__4 Expert 34 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Aug 14, 2009 10:28 AM (in response to HWKICVO)

I did a 70.3 with a noon start.  It was awesome. 

Plenty of rest - woke up ate a normal breakfast at 8:30.  Kept eating small things, yogart, bananas , PB&J and hydrating up to an hour before the race.  FYI - ate a gel before the swim and drank a 2 hour mix bottle of perpetuem on the bike and gel before the run.  Gel as needed during the run.  Stay light - you don't need to bulk on food prior to a 70.3.

Enjoy!

Park City Vacation Condo Rentals

Park City Utah Vacation Condo Rentals

PC poster.jpg

• TriBri71 Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    4. Aug 14, 2009 12:36 PM (in response to honguito)

I'm pretty typical when it comes to nutritional needs.It shouldn't really matter what time the race is as long (assuming it is not in the evening!) I imagine you won't need to get up at 4am, so if you can, get up three or four hours later.  Adjust the last meal of the day in the day prior to the race a few hours later if you would feel more comfortable. I seem to do fine with a bagel two 1/2 hours before the start, another one one hour before the start, and a Rockstar or similar drink about a half hour before the start. On the bike, a Powergel every hour and Gatorade every 10 mintues. On the run, a swallow of Gatorade every mile. If it can work on the Wildflower Long Course, I guess most persons don't need any more than that.

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    5. Aug 16, 2009 12:46 PM (in response to honguito)

Gunter,

I recently competed in the Boise 70.3, which had a similar 2:00pm start time.

I record my nutrition and exactly what I did over at my blog, http://bengreenfieldtri.blogspot.com . check the June archives...

Best of luck!

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points