Skip navigation

2049 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2007 6:57 PM by jjmjr RSS
little-t Amateur 12 posts since
Sep 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 24, 2007 9:58 AM

how to swim?

I am wanting to sign up for  tri next spring but fear swimming.  I am average on the bike and am in marathon shape for the run.  I can only swim with my head out of the water with my chin placed along the top of the water.  So, my question is there a technique that i could develop this form to be a better swimmer or do I have to just find a way to bury my head?

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Sep 24, 2007 10:25 AM (in response to little-t)
    Re: how to swim?

you're much better of learning to put your face in the water. you'll be faster and your neck will be less sore.  any particular issue w/ putting your face in the water?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Sep 24, 2007 11:32 AM (in response to little-t)

there's not much to afraid of. I think you should work on it this off season. it will make your life a lot easier w/ your head down though the view will be a lot less exciting. good luck!

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    4. Sep 24, 2007 12:03 PM (in response to little-t)

I would invest in some swim lessons with a good coach.  I was in the same boat as you earlier this year, marathon runner, ok on the bike, and couldn't swim 50 yards without being out of breath.  I finished my first Ironman a few weeks ago.  The truth is the swim should be the most relaxing discipline and should viewed as a warm up.  If you are not relaxed now, swimming in a croweded start is going to be a shock to the system. 

You should find a coach who is familiar with Total Immersion swim technique.   Basically its all about getting good balance in the water and swimming smooth with not a lot of effort.  Once you find balance in the water swimming is relaxing, even at a relatively hard pace, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of drilling, but if you stick with it, it pays off.   Good luck!

• kimmitri Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    5. Sep 24, 2007 12:27 PM (in response to little-t)

I had the same swimming technique as you.  I signed up for swim lessons and after two weeks, I am already noticing a big improvement in my swimming form.  I'm still a long way from the distance I need for a triathlon, but I can tell that I am a much more efficient swimmer with my head in the water and learning the proper breathing technique.  I am taking group lessons right now, which are really cost effective and especially for the basics, is good enough.  Good luck!

• jjmjr Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    6. Sep 24, 2007 6:57 PM (in response to little-t)

I have been training for my first tri for about 5 months now.  I took HOURS and HOURS of swim lessons and was in the pool for hours each week.  My swiming improved 110%.  I had no worries going into race day.  I had even taking an open water swim class to help prepare me.  Lets just say this, I almost gave up on my 1.5K swim within 1 minute.  I am not sure what it was...probably the salt water.  Seriously, pool water in and out of the mouth no problem, salt water..huge difference.  Lets just say that I completed my 1.5K swim in about 30 minutes and through all my hours and $ of swim lessons out the window.  Get in the water and just go foward.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...