Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

912 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2009 9:48 AM by Solsenz
Solsenz Amateur 14 posts since
Apr 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 18, 2009 2:44 PM

Vacation and staying fit

I have had a great season and carried out my New Year's resolution of doing a 5K for the first time and have done 4! Last one 26:03, which is better than I could imagine starting out at 30:05! I'm going on a vacation that will be about 2 2/2 weeks that does not allow for much working out-no walking/running or weights etc. Might be able to swim, but am disappointed at losing what I've gained thus far (and it doesn't take much from my experience). Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions on trying to maintain something while gone? I would love to do another 5k at the end of October, but imagine I'll be huffing and puffing when I return to the treadmill/weights. Thanks

• campi_mama Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    1. Aug 18, 2009 6:26 PM (in response to Solsenz)
    Re: Vacation and staying fit

I'm just curious...why won't you be able to walk/ run?  Couldn't you get up early/stay up late and go out?  Is it unsafe?  I guess some clarity might help answer the question.  If you are in a hotel, you could find a stairwell most likely and do stairs.  Without more info I'm shooting in the dark right now...  Congrats on your 5ks 

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    3. Aug 19, 2009 7:58 AM (in response to Solsenz)

take a resistance band and jump rope with you

You can do any of the following pretty much anywhere

push ups

dips

jumping jacks

squat thrusts

lunges

squats

squat jumps

split squats

crunches / hips lifts / oblique crunches etc

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• pixey Amateur 28 posts since
    Aug 18, 2009
    4. Aug 19, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to spicegeek)

I think going on an African Safari is grounds for suspending running for one week. You can make future gains when you return.

Just have fun. If you can find a treadmill, great. If not, don't sweat it. You have a lifetime to run.

Runners can be so obsessive that we forget to enjoy things like AFRICAN SAFARIS! I doubt any long time runner would fret over missing one week for that experience, so you shouldn't, either.

Next time, you theoretically could plan your vacation around your training (find a hotel with a treadmill, at least, if not design your whole vacation around fitness, as I have often done), which is also fun. But sometimes life is just telling you to sit back and relax.

• pixey Amateur 28 posts since
    Aug 18, 2009
    5. Aug 19, 2009 8:51 AM (in response to Solsenz)

Oh, yeah, and swimming is awesome cross-training.  You probably would feel totally fine if you swam 30-60 minutes per day while gone.  I've replaced running with swimming when injured for one week and felt almost the same when I went back to running.  So, if you absolutely MUST, first swim, then relax and enjoy!

• bellsway Legend 343 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    6. Aug 19, 2009 9:29 AM (in response to Solsenz)

Spicegeek hit the nail right on the head.  Jump ropes for cardio and tubing/bands for resistence training.  Don't panic if the first couple of bouts with the jump rope don't go as planned.  Getting the rhythm takes a while so there are a lot of starts and stops.  You can do jumping jacks instead...no rope and you'd be amazed how cardio vascular that is.  You could also do some speed work , 50 meter sprints between the tent and the facilities.  Finally, you won't lose everything in 3 weeks.  It will come back surprisingly quickly.  Just don't plan a race the week you come home.  Think of that vacation as a "recovery" after a long race and begin to build again when you come home.  Cut back 10 - 20% from your regular distance and speed and gradually pick it up.  You may discover that the lay off both mental and physical gave you a boost.  By the way, post a picture when you come back.  Most of us will never get to do something that great.

Plan your run and then run your plan.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points