Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3853 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2009 6:51 PM by trod72
trod72 Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 9, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 20, 2009 5:57 PM

Training two times a day with biking or running?

Hello active community i am a triathlete who has done about 8 triathlons two at olympic distance the rest were sprint tri's, but i was wondering if i can get some input from you guys on my traing. I have been training two times a day every day of the week except sunday for about 30 to 45 minutes for each session, and have been running in the morning, then switching off with bicycling or swim training in the day._ My question is to whether i should switch from running every morning to cycling every morning? _Reason being is running has always been my strentgth in my triathlons and happens to be where i actually pass people in my triathlons, and my bicycling just being mediocre i was told to work on my weakness of triathlons in the sport the most. I was also told that bicycling would be better because its less impact on your legs, even though my legs seem ok after running every morning.

• mom2miglets Rookie 1 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    1. Aug 24, 2009 12:34 PM (in response to trod72)
    Re: Training two times a day with biking or running?

If your body is fine with the running I would not change things on that end.  I think that you will see improvement if you do some longer biking sessions.  45 minutes is probably not doing you a whole lot of good.  I would find the time to do one to two biking sessions of at least two hours.  If you don't have the time I would skip the run that day or just plan on doing a short 15 minute transition run after the longer biking session.

• J-Olin Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    2. Aug 24, 2009 12:50 PM (in response to trod72)

Something else to consider, if you simply can't find the time to ride 2 hours a couple times a week, is to do your 45 minute ride in some nice steep hills to build strength.  45 minutes in the flats isn't going to do much other than a good cardio workout if you can keep your heart rate up.

• triathlonlvrz Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 19, 2009
    3. Aug 24, 2009 9:46 PM (in response to trod72)

Keep in mind that the bike portion of the race is the longest, where you can make up or lose alot of time. If I the luxury to, I like to train with this in mind, spending most of my trainning on the bike, then run, then in the pool.

But if you have a real job,family,school etc.. your going to have to get in what you can when you can, but definately spend some time on that bike. Also keep in mind that you have to build up a seperate strength and cardio base for each event, as they all differ. Example: I came from a marathon background, and figured adjusting to the bike and holding a respectable pace would come naturally, WRONG! I was very surprised how quickly I bonked on my first trainning ride with my cycling buddies.It's just a different thing which requires road time, so have fun with it and let me know how it goes for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...