Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4402 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2009 8:13 PM by New Runner 2008 RSS
New Runner 2008 Amateur 31 posts since
Dec 10, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2009 9:31 AM

Plantar Fasciitis Leading to Peroneal Tendonitis

Can anyone out there help a complete idiot?

About a month ago I started to develop plantar fasciitis in my right foot - it was a classic heel spur.  By way of background I run in Asics 2130s with prescription orthotics that I had removed then reinserted after the PF symptoms started (did I mention that I'm a complete idiot?).

To continue the trend of lunacy, I decided that I'd run through the plantar fasciitis, although I conceded that road running was not a good idea and did my work on a slightly inclined (1%) treadmill.  I dropped my pace and mileage too.

About 10 days ago, the outside of my right foot started to hurt badly.  A little internet work led me to self-diagnose peroneal tendonitis.  It makes sense - the plantar fasciitis on the inside part of the heel caused me to strike on the outside of my foot, leading to the second problem.

I've RICEd it, stretched it, cross-tissue massaged it, cursed it, prayed for it, just about everything but chop my foot off and replace it.  Ironically, all the aforementioned rehab has just about cured the heel spur, but the peroneal tendonitis continues to lag and nag.  I've got a 5K coming up on Labor Day.  Can anyone suggest anything other than "live and learn?"

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009

Ok, now you sound like me....self-diagnosis is great but you might want to consider talking to someone who has a bit more medical school training.  Just a thought.

Mine cleared up with acupuncture.  It took a couple of months but it worked great!

susan

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• PhysioAdvisor Expert 36 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009

I would definitely recommend seeing a physiotherapist for a proper assessment and treatment.  Correct diagnosis is essential to ensure appropriate treatment and the fastest recovery.

Check out the following links on Plantar Fasciitis and Peroneal Tendinopathy (also known as Peroneal Tendonitis) for your information.

Hope that helps and good luck with your recovery,

PhysioAdvisor

www.PhysioAdvisor.com

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,154 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

New Runner, you've chosen a sport that delivers growing pains like no other. I went through the same process, as many of us have.

It's frightening when these symptoms occur, but they are often misdiagnosed. As you have found, they can often be handled by rest and TLC.

You're not an idiot, because you paid attention to the "idiot lights" of your muscles and took action. You were also wise enough to ask for advice from other runners. I'd like to oblige by adding my two cents:

When you transition from life as mortal to Runner, there are muscles on the calf that must work harder and faster than ever. These muscles work in opposition to each other at speeds and time intervals never asked of them before. Even a vigorous basketball or tennis game does not compare.  Muscles on the rear and side of the calf get you airborne and propel you forward approximately 3 times per second, and muscles on the front and side of the calf pull the toe up to clear the ground in preparation for the next footstrike.  Muscles are firing constantly and there is no rest until you stop. Of couse they're going to experience pain!

Just as you found that rest, ice, and massage work to relax the muscles and control inflammation, your body will gradually adapt to the load you've placed on them. The best runners in the world are doing the same things right now! Who are we to get away with less? It's not a problem, it's the sacifice we make when we decide to run. Nevertheless, there is always something to learn about the body and running is a great introduction. Let me explain a little more:

When you run on an incline, you are asking more from the primary calf muscles (soleus, gastrocnemius). Ditto for any calf-strengthening exercises. You need to move in the opposite direction. Don't make the mistake of beating yourself up to heal, or you will become "muscle-bound." The tougher those muscles become, the more pain you will feel and the more you will ask of opposing muscles to return them to position for the next footstrike. In fact, the pain produced by a wound-up gastroc is felt directly in the arch and is often misdiagnosed as plantar fasciitis!

Massage is good, particularly toward the top medial (inner) side of the rear calf muscle (gastroc), which has solved many a case of faux p/f. Real plantar fasciitis (possibly requiring surgery) would take longer than the time you've spent running. As for the tendonitis, it can be difficult to distinguish inflammation of a tendon sheath from a sore muscle in the same area. I massage my own calves with soap and water every time I take a shower, starting with cold water. I do this proactively and rarely have a problem anymore. If you do this, pay particular attention to the achilles (massage from the side, not straight down or you can rupture the bursa), the entire peroneal area, and of course, deep into a relaxed gastroc and the deeper, lower soleus, penetrating to the underlying toe flexors which extend nearly to the back of the knee. Make sure you support yourself because I don't want you suing me if you slip and fall! This daily ritual will help break up new scar tissue and excess pre-adhesion collagen, and insure the circulation that all healing requires. For me, the cold water forces me to rededicate myself to the sport. It's almost a religious experience...

Lastly, you should perform unassisted stretches near the end of the day while your muscles are still warm. By unassisted I mean in the air using each muscle to stretch the opposing side. When the muscles are relaxed use your fingers to check for tight spots and massage them out before bed. You will begin to recover overnight.

Remember - you chose to become a runner, but if you try too hard you will beat yourself back into mortality, where you'll spend your time watching the rest of us run. The choice is yours.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points