Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

666 Views 296 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 6:08 AM by Suzanne84 Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    241. Oct 22, 2009 6:26 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)
    Re: Penguin Support Group
    I opened my Snapple and it had the fun fact of "Penguins can jump 6 feet"...and I thought of you guys.

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    242. Oct 22, 2009 11:20 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

RainyDayRun,

I hope that you got a handle on your pace problem.  I want to talk about building "speed".  Can we say "getting just a little bit faster"?

Michael made some good points, but as he said,everyone is different.  For starters, I doubt that you can do 1/4 mile sprints.  Am I wrong?  Forgive me if I assume too much; I only know what I was capable of when I could run the distance and time that you mentioned.

I tried sprinting the straight-ways on a track and walking around the curve.  That seemed to be doing its job until I landed wrong once while slowing down.  It took a few months for the dull ache in my ankle to go away.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is to find a hill and run up it at a good pace.  Pick a short climb at first, a short hill or part way up a longer one.  You don't want to sprint up, but go at a quick pace.  You want to repeat the climb maybe 3 times.  And that's why the hill should be short at first; you don't want to be gassed after one trip.

Take it easy going down!  It's okay to walk or jog easy.  Just be sure to take care of your joints.

Like Michael said, do not do hills and a long run on the same day.  Run the hill one day a week.  I park the car far enough from my hill that I can get warmed and loosened up before the first climb, then I have an easy run back to the car to stretch out a bit.

When running the hill 3 times seems "easy" enough, try to do it 5 times.  After that find a longer hill.

This has worked well for me.  The long runs build endurance and hills (speed work) increase speed.  You can work on both.

Kim921, I recommend this workout for you.  Use your hill the same way.  Keep on conquering that beast on your long runs, but mingle in some hill work.  Use half or 1/3 of that hill as I described.

This workout will be a lot shorter time-wise than a run.  But it is great for your quads, which will help both endurance and speed.

[If you have not been running long or cannot sustain a 20 minute run, then I suggest that you really do build endurance first.  This can stress your ticker.  You don't want to hurt something by pushing your body beyond what it can do right now.]

Good luck!  Stay well.  And, take care of your joints!

Finish well!

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    243. Oct 22, 2009 5:02 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)
    I have been having a rough week after the wonderful 3.1 mile run last Saturday. I ran Tuesday for 2 miles and Wednesday for 2.5 miles. My first 5K is Sunday and I feel so unprepared. I haven't felt good at all this week and lots of personal stuff going on besides. I am hopingto get away from everything - I am going up to Chicago for the 5K. It is Sunday but we are going Friday and spending the weekend with friends. I hope it will be a good run for me, but we will see. I am running about 16.5 mm right now. pretty slow but I am overweight (lost 30 pounds so far). I think it is just an accomplishment to be able to run 3.1 miles.

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    244. Oct 22, 2009 5:08 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Donna- I was hoping to hear from you again before this weekend.  I think that you will do fine for your first race.  You may find that you are swept up a little faster than your pace at the beginning, but just settle in and have a great time.  I think you'll do better than you expect.  So - have a great race, I'll be thinking of you.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    245. Oct 22, 2009 5:15 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)
    Thanks Jo Ann! Appreciate the good vibes.

May 6, 2009
    247. Oct 23, 2009 5:16 AM (in response to Donna914)

Donna,

Have a GREAT TIME, no matter your time.

Finish well!

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    248. Oct 23, 2009 7:20 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

There's a horrible article in today's New York Times on elite runners who think penguins shouldn't be in the race. They quote two particularly mean-spirited people saying so. They also quote Bingham.

I never knew such attitude existed. How discouraging.

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• MsCoyote Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    249. Oct 23, 2009 8:56 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/sports/23marathon.html?_r=1&ref=sports

I can see where both sides of the argument are coming from. If I'm training my butt off and see other people not taking it as seriously but still receiving the same recognition, I'd get a bit ticked.  If I trained hard and am slow by nature, I'd be ticked that my race isn't deemed as really racing.

It's a matter of respect for the event itself.  Those who walk the entire length, stopping for lunch in the middle are NOT respecting the marathon, it's a 26.2 mile "fun walk"!  All of us could probably walk marathon distance with unlimited time and unlimited breaks.

"Marathon" to me is 26.2 miles.  How you finish it is a different story.  "I ran a marathon" and "I completed a marathon" are two different things in my book.  If I run/walk the distance with just the intent of finishing as an accomplishment, I completed a marathon.  If I run all 26.2 miles, even at my 12mm pace, trying to do my personal best, then I sure as heck "ran" a marathon!

Looks like people on both sides of the argument need to get over themselves.  What ever happened to running your race for you?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"WOO HOO!!! What a Ride!"

May 6, 2009
    250. Oct 23, 2009 10:06 AM (in response to MsCoyote)

Neither do I see a lot wrong with the article.  Because of all the reasons stated, I doubt that I will ever enter a marathon.  A half?  Some day probably.

Not only should we respect the event, as MsCoyote says, but I think it is a little selfish to expect the workers (course monitors, finish line, all of the other support) to hang around waiting for me to amble in.  A lot of races have time limits, so I see no reason for a marathon not to have one.

I am amazed to see the numbers of people in marathons when there might be a more suitable shorter race on the same weekend.  It's just my opinion, but we should enter events that are suitable to the level of runner that we are.  It's part of our progression as runners.

Finish well!

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    251. Oct 23, 2009 10:11 AM (in response to MsCoyote)
    Looks like people on both sides of the argument need to get over themselves.  What ever happened to running your race for you?

Well said, Ms C.

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    252. Oct 23, 2009 10:47 AM (in response to MsCoyote)

As a fairly new runner, it's a dream of mine to..."complete"... a marathon.  I can understand why the "racers" might be upset by all of us penguins, but that should give them the incentive to train that much harder to get that much faster.  Then they can qualify for Boston and not have to worry about slowpokes.  Or they could branch out to Trail Runs.  I don't think there are many walkers and/or plodders in those!

On the other side of the coin, the "fun walkers" should stick with 5 and 10k's unless it is designated as a run/walk, such as some of the Rock 'n Rolls.  I know that San Antonio designates run/walk for the half-marathon, if not the whole.

But the main thing is that we are out there moving!  Wherever it may be and however long it takes. 

Plod on everyone!

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• PJBE Pro 118 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    253. Oct 24, 2009 1:44 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Hey, Penguins, today I completed the first 5K that I have ever run in. I alternated running and walking (esp. for hills) and came in around 43:57. That may sound bad to "real" runners, but it is my fastest time ever! I have done the Gamecock Gallop at Jacksonville State University (AL) for most of the nine years it has been held, and I have come in at the end, walking around 50 minutes. The year I had plantar fasciitis, I helped a grad student pick up orange cones. I ran the last small hill. and across the finish line--though I had to be redirected as I was looking at the clock. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Paula

Cave Spring (GA) Road Race, 5K, June 13, 2009--51:47

North Central AL Race for the Cure, 5K, October 10--approx. 1 hr.

Gamecock Gallop 5K, October 24--43:57

This year's shirt is cool, too.

Message was edited by: PJBE

Attachments:

Starting C25K (5th time's the charm)

Cave Spring Road Race, June 2012,planned

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    254. Oct 24, 2009 9:51 AM (in response to PJBE)

Congratulations Paula!   That is terrific.

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...