Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

34905 Views 296 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 6:08 AM by Suzanne84 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    255. Oct 24, 2009 11:19 AM (in response to PJBE)
    Re: Penguin Support Group

You did yourself proud, Paula.

Way to go!

Finish well!

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    256. Oct 24, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Paula,

Once again, a Penpal shows the world that PENQUINS ROCK!  Way to go!

I don't know what was wrong with me this morning. For some reason, I woke up at 4:45 am. I didn't set an alarm.

I was planning a long run but no reason to get up that early.

Anyway, I warmed up over a half mile, stretched and then ran 4 miles. I stretched and cleaned up all by 7 am.

Then I went back to bed. Afterall, the sun wasn't up yet.

I hope everyone stays dry and has the run of their lives!

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    257. Oct 24, 2009 11:44 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

For those of us still new to running culture, would you telling us how one defines being a penguin? Is it a specific pace?

I'm active in a weekly thread for runners currently or formerly 200 lbs. or more over in the Newbie Cafe.  We do see a broad range of pace, however.  I've been shocked to see my time hit sub-14mm in Week 8 (I'm 5'8" and started over 300 lbs--I've lost 20 lbs. in the first 8 weeks, and have never been an athlete or ruunner), but I was nowhere close to that at the beginning--each goes at his/her own pace.

Good running, all!

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• eileen47 Expert 47 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    258. Oct 24, 2009 12:31 PM (in response to PJBE)
    Hey, PJBE, you ARE a real runner!
  • PJBE Pro 118 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    260. Oct 24, 2009 1:46 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)
    Thanks everyone! I hope to get closer to 40-I did about half run and half walk.

Starting C25K (5th time's the charm)

Cave Spring Road Race, June 2012,planned

• MsCoyote Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    261. Oct 24, 2009 2:08 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Well--the Bionic Penguin represented in her 5K today and came in last!  As I posted in another thread, I was the last to FINISH, since someone behind me didn't cross the finish line.

Right now my goal is to run the entire 3.1 miles.  I'm sure I can bump up a spot or two if I do that.  I felt I walked more, but ran faster whe I was running.  It all seems to even out in the end.

Looking forward to waddling through more races...keep up the hard work everyone, it's worth it!

MsC

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"WOO HOO!!! What a Ride!"

Jul 20, 2009
    263. Oct 24, 2009 5:21 PM (in response to MsCoyote)

PENQIINS ROCK!!!

PENQIINS ROCK!!!

PENQIINS ROCK!!!

PENQIINS ROCK!!!

MS C ROCKS!!!

Jul 20, 2009
    264. Oct 24, 2009 5:23 PM (in response to classicallytrained)
    Sorry, I misspelled PENQUIN four times!

• MsCoyote Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    265. Oct 24, 2009 9:38 PM (in response to classicallytrained)

Michael34634 wrote:

PENQIINS ROCK!!!

PENQIINS ROCK!!!

PENQIINS ROCK!!!

PENQIINS ROCK!!!

MS C ROCKS!!!

Thanks Michael! "Penguins Rock" sounds like the theme song of the Drew Carey Show!

(BTW--your second post made me chuckle...)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"WOO HOO!!! What a Ride!"

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    266. Oct 26, 2009 5:36 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Good Monday Morning!

Well I did it - I ran my first 5K Sunday and it was fantastic! I ran it in Chicago on the lake shore. WOW!! I had two friends and my husband run with me; my husband walked it alongside of me. LOL.  Then another one of our friends ran the 10K. It was sooo good. My pace was faster here and I met my goals; running the entire way and coming in less than 53 minutes (which had been my best time).  I came in 50 min 37 seconds (according to my garmin - haven't seen official time but my friend's garmin said the same).  I can't wait until the next one now.

I was surprised that yesterday I was sore - I have ran/walk 50 min quite a few times but we did have to ride in a minivan with 7 people after the race for about 30 minutes to get back to their house and then in the afternoon, my husband and I had to make the 5 hour trip back home. I was pretty sore last night; just sitting and getting up mainly; but I feel great this morning!

Jul 20, 2009
    267. Oct 26, 2009 6:12 AM (in response to Donna914)

PENQUINS ROCK!

PENQUINS ROCK!

PENQUINS ROCK!

PENQUINS ROCK!

DONNA ROCKS!

WOOHOO! WTG!

• Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    268. Oct 26, 2009 11:56 PM (in response to Donna914)

Donna,

I'm glad that you had such a great time.  So, are you hooked?  Can't wait for the next one?!

And meeting your expectations to boot.  You had a great day "fer shore."

Waaaay to go!

Finish well!

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    269. Oct 27, 2009 10:31 AM (in response to Donna914)

That's great, Donna!  And didn't you have a great time?  I've only been in 3 5k's (have yet to run a whole one, though), and had a blast at all of them.

My next 5k is this Saturday.  I decided not to wear a costume, but I can hardly wait to see what some of the others will wear!  It will be a hoot.   AND...my goal for this 5k is to run the whole thing.  In the last one I ran/walked, but I think my time will probably go down.  And I say...SO WHAT?!?  If I run it the whole way, I will be ecstatic!

In 2 weeks there is a 5k at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO.  Don't know if any of you have ever been, but it's an amusement park with LOTS of hills.  It will be really cool, because the Christmas season will have started at that time, and the 5k is after closing time, at 10pm.  It's called "Run to the Lights" if any of you are close enough and interested.

Then on Thanksgiving morning I am participating in a Turkey Trot.  That should be loads of fun, too.

After that I plan to concentrate on my distance over the winter, and my goal is to hit the 10k's in the spring (!).  But my biggest goal for now:  November 2010, San Antonio Rock 'n Roll Half-Marathon.  I'm gonna do it!  If I have to walk half of it, so be it.  It is very walker friendly, even for the marathon (can't imagine walking a marathon, though).

Have a great, and active, week!

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...