Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

33500 Views 296 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 6:08 AM by Suzanne84 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20 Previous Next
  • slcekala Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 30, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Sep 2, 2009 7:11 AM (in response to classicallytrained)
    Re: Penguin Support Group

Thanks, Michael.  At this point I don't plan on joining a race, but I do plan to get out there and do it and I won't stop till I get there...no matter how long it may take! 

• slcekala Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 30, 2009
    32. Sep 2, 2009 10:05 AM (in response to Catherineoctober)

Congrats Catherine and Donna on the weight loss!  Thirty pounds is a big deal.  I lost a total of 66, but regressed about 17 pounds over the last year, so I'm netting out at close to a maintained 50 pound loss.  I need to lose about another 30 to be just outside my target range for my height / body type.  I'm focusing more on getting fit and being healthy instead of the scale number though - if I can achieve the first two, the third will eventually come (or come close).

Running is harder exercise than some other forms of cardio and therefore it will make you hungrier.  The trick is to eat good things to replenish you, and in small amounts at a time.  One trick I use is to eat a small portion of something, then wait about 30 minutes.  If I'm still hungry, I can have something else (or another small portion of the same thing).  I used to think "I don't feel full, so I should continue eating."  The criteria should be "I no longer feel hungry, so I will stop eating."  Adjusting to that is harder than it sounds - at least for me.

Keep up the great work ladies!

Sherry - age 32

Linden, VA

• kate_mac Legend 330 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    33. Sep 2, 2009 10:20 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

rainydayrun: good for you.  The only way you'll know if you can do it is if you try.  And remember, you're only racing against yourself. I ran my 5k in 36, faster than I normally run. I find it to be much more interesting than just running by myself. People to watch, new houses to look at, interesting clothing, crazy people! Lots of distractions. After the pack crosses the start line, the speed demons take off and those left in the dust take over the road. I think etiquette says to stay to the right so others can pass. If you're running with someone, don't run so no one can pass you.Run/walk  if you like. There are many who take walking breaks. But most of all, just go and have fun, acknowledge each mile as an accomplishment and jump for joy at the finish line! It's such a rush! DO IT!

Kate in CT

Old Wethersfield 5k ~ 36:00

Blue Back Square 5K Mitten Run (Dec 6, 09) ~ 31:58

Lake Merced Run 4.5 M - San Francisco (Jan 3) ~ 48:30

Baja 5000 5K - (May 2) ~ 36:39

Red Dress for Women (July 10) ~ 36:34

Hartford Marathon Relay (Oct 9) ~ ran the 4th leg (10k)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec. 5) ~ 32:25

Holyoke St. Patrick's 10k (March 19) ~ 1:08:41

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 5) ~ 2:25:13

Old Wethersfield 5k (Nov 2011) 30:40 PR

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 4) ~ 31:09

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Red Dress for Women (July 7) ~ 33:43

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

MxCC Scholarship 5k (Oct, 27) ~ 31:56 (2nd place)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 2) ~ 32.22

Quinnipiac University (CT) Physicians Assistants 5k (Apr 13) ~

Cox Rhode Race 5k Providence (May 11) ~ 32:12

Blum Shapiro 5k Cromwell CT (June 8) ~

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 8)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

• cynthesis Expert 95 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    34. Sep 3, 2009 11:48 AM (in response to kate_mac)

Great job, Kate!  Looks like you and I run about the time pace.  Races can really be a lot of fun once you get past all your fears.  My first one was a pretty big event with walkers too, so I wasn't so intimidated, and it was a lot of fun.  Like you said, seeing new neighborhoods, watching the people, and, for me, running on main streets through town is so interesting and cool. 

I actually ran for 50 minutes non-stop a couple days ago!  I'm on my last week of Gateway to 8K.  I'm combining it with my half marathon training plan until it's done.  I also have my first 10K on the 27th.  One day, I hope I'll be running the distances Cyndi does.  I know I won't be fast, but I just like doing it. 

Losing weight will help me speed up a little bit, I know.  I'm down about 25 lbs. myself with at least 30 to go.  Getting there slowly too!

5/10/2009 - Race for the Cure 5K 36:40
    9/27/09 - Great Race 10K
    11/01/2009 - Spirit of Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    01/17/2010 - Rock N Roll Arizona Half Marathon

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    35. Sep 4, 2009 4:10 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Hello all, I did my Week 7 Day 1 today; which is 28 minutes straight. It was great. I almost psyched myself out though because I wear a Garmin heart rate monitor and I measured myself for just the 25 minutes last time I ran (Week 6 Day 3) and my max hr was 179 and my avg was 171 so I wrote asking about it because my husband thought that was high. So today I was all worried about it. So I ran slower so it wouldn't go above 170 this morning. I felt fine both days and didn't feel like I was going to keel over or anything. I am not sure whether to be concerned or not. I am going to check with my doctor to see what she suggests. My friend that started when she was 100 pounds overweight (like I am now) said her heart rate was in the 180s when she first started the last few weeks of C25K when you run longer but it went down after a few weeks. So I did it! And i feel fantastic running 28 minutes but I guess worrying about my heart rate has ruined it a little for me.

• kate_mac Legend 330 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    37. Sep 5, 2009 7:58 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

RainyDayRun: love it. I think you figured it out! If it isn't fun, you just won't do it. I have used podcasts from the beginning(mostly ullrey's) and without them I don't think I could have done the program. I love This American Life podcast (on NPR) - I'll have to check out the New Yorker fiction.

As for HR, I think the issue becomes this: if you're running so hard that your HR is over your calculated MaxHR, then you're wearing yourself out, and you also move out of the fat burning range and maybe even the cardio fitness range. I know for me that if I go too fast, esp to start, I just don't last.  Yesterday I tried doing intervals of 6 minutes. I only allowed a one minute rest. Way too short. I know the ratio should be 2:1 but thought 6 minutes wasn't all that much so I'd go for a shorter rest. AND, cocky me thought, if I'm only running 6 minutes, I can push it. WRONG. Learned two things. Until I've been doing this a while, I shouldn't push it. And the longer rest interval is necessary. So, I'll do it again, but with a 6min run to 3 minute recovery.  Also will monitor my HR and try not to go over my MaxHR.

Kate in CT

Old Wethersfield 5k ~ 36:00

Blue Back Square 5K Mitten Run (Dec 6, 09) ~ 31:58

Lake Merced Run 4.5 M - San Francisco (Jan 3) ~ 48:30

Baja 5000 5K - (May 2) ~ 36:39

Red Dress for Women (July 10) ~ 36:34

Hartford Marathon Relay (Oct 9) ~ ran the 4th leg (10k)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec. 5) ~ 32:25

Holyoke St. Patrick's 10k (March 19) ~ 1:08:41

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 5) ~ 2:25:13

Old Wethersfield 5k (Nov 2011) 30:40 PR

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 4) ~ 31:09

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Red Dress for Women (July 7) ~ 33:43

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

MxCC Scholarship 5k (Oct, 27) ~ 31:56 (2nd place)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 2) ~ 32.22

Quinnipiac University (CT) Physicians Assistants 5k (Apr 13) ~

Cox Rhode Race 5k Providence (May 11) ~ 32:12

Blum Shapiro 5k Cromwell CT (June 8) ~

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 8)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

• Catherineoctober Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    39. Sep 5, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to slcekala)

Thanks Sherry, that means a lot. I did the entire 3.5 miles yesterday out on the road for the first time yesterday. No stopping, just running. It felt great and I had amazing energy all day. It helps to know that I'm not the only one that gets hungry, and with your pointers I'll beat it I know I will. My 5k is this Saturday. I've done one before, but because I gave myself more flexibility this time I think I actually ended up being more prepared. I think my next thing will be training for a 10k, but my next race will be an adventure race in November and a turkey trot on Thanksgiving day. I like all the activity I've been getting involved in. I no longer feel like I'm not good enough to join. Who cares right? I want the experience.

Thanks for your encouragement. I'm getting a lot out of these posts.

Catherine

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    40. Sep 5, 2009 3:13 PM (in response to Catherineoctober)

Hello Pen pals

Everyone is having an exciting week. I tried Kate's idea about the intervals with a different twist. After warming up and stretching, I started off at a faster speed for five minutes and backed off to my normal pace for five minutes. Then I walked for 1 minute. By repeating this process, I finished the 5 kilometers at a faster pace than I normally run. I get bored real easily and mixing up my running and walking help keep things fresh.

I ran another mile and a half later this afternoon trying to play catch-up for my weekly totals. I was a little sore from this morning so this run was sluggish. Not every run will be perfect.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Labor day!

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    42. Sep 5, 2009 6:05 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

In a race situation, there is a tendency to start too fast because of adrenalin. By practicing a faster start and then slowing down by a time period, you will be using the adrenalin to your advantage but with control. I don't know if I would use the walk breaks on a 5k unless there are hills. However, on a longer race, the breaks keep the faster tempo steady and keep the runner refreshed.

I have also done intervals starting slower and speeding up. Some people even sprint for a few minutes. There is no one way to do it. You just have to find what works for you.

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    43. Sep 6, 2009 10:39 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

HI all, I did Week 8 Day 2 this morning. My husband went with me and he just walked fast. He is 6'5" but still.   OH well I am getting better and faster and he gave me some tips to improve so that was good.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...