Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

34935 Views 296 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 6:08 AM by Suzanne84 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Previous Next
  • kate_mac Legend 330 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Sep 6, 2009 2:27 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)
    Re: Penguin Support Group

several reasons for trying the intervals. Yes, increase speed. Not that I'm anxious to be faster, but if you look at the C25k program, it's kind of a 2 steps forward, one step back thing.  Run long, then cut back. It's a mental thing. And it has to play a physical part too. Look at any interval program - one workout will be long (maybe the last workout of a week) , then the next is shorter. The progression helps us to work harder (this is hard for me to explain!!). Michael did a good job. For me, I get bored very easily. To run 3 miles day after day just isn't exciting.  Variety is key. It's kind of like any teaching lesson. Introduce  the whole, break it down, learn each part, then teach the whole again. The whole now seems to make sense.  Practice each part over and over and when you put it together again (i.e. run 3 miles, after running spurts or intervals) it's easier. Building blocks. It's how the c25k program was built, why not continue.  probably mumbled on here. Any other thoughts?

Kate in CT

Old Wethersfield 5k ~ 36:00

Blue Back Square 5K Mitten Run (Dec 6, 09) ~ 31:58

Lake Merced Run 4.5 M - San Francisco (Jan 3) ~ 48:30

Baja 5000 5K - (May 2) ~ 36:39

Red Dress for Women (July 10) ~ 36:34

Hartford Marathon Relay (Oct 9) ~ ran the 4th leg (10k)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec. 5) ~ 32:25

Holyoke St. Patrick's 10k (March 19) ~ 1:08:41

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 5) ~ 2:25:13

Old Wethersfield 5k (Nov 2011) 30:40 PR

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 4) ~ 31:09

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Red Dress for Women (July 7) ~ 33:43

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

MxCC Scholarship 5k (Oct, 27) ~ 31:56 (2nd place)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 2) ~ 32.22

Quinnipiac University (CT) Physicians Assistants 5k (Apr 13) ~

Cox Rhode Race 5k Providence (May 11) ~ 32:12

Blum Shapiro 5k Cromwell CT (June 8) ~

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 8)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    46. Sep 7, 2009 8:43 AM (in response to kate_mac)

Happy Labor Day!!!

My bride and I started the day off right. We basked in the fresh NC air and enjoyed the refreshing Carolina breeze. Karen walked around the half mile loop and I ran. I logged a total of 2.5 miles and then walked a 1 mile cool down loop with Karen. BTW-We celebrated 32 years of marriage in July. And she hasn't traded me in newer model.

I hope everyone has a great holiday!

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    47. Sep 7, 2009 9:13 AM (in response to classicallytrained)

That is sweet Michael!  You sound like a great couple!!

Aug 2, 2009
    50. Sep 7, 2009 10:04 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Jenny that is wonderful!! 39 min for 3 miles. You are doing great!!!! You will be ready for your 5K. A bobcat and a snake; wow I would be inside in a flash if I saw those. I guess I am a city girl.

I hope to do that someday. I am still running more like 50 minutes for 3 miles but I am getting better. Today was my off day and I took a walk and just ended up running 10 minutes just to do it. It is great to know I can run 10 minutes or 1 mile when I feel like it.

Jul 20, 2009
    51. Sep 7, 2009 10:26 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Way to go Jenny! Can you even find a level place to run? I grew up in the northern mountains and miss the summers up there.

Your time is very respectable. That may put you in the middle of the pack. 

Now enjoy your afternoon and put your feet up.

Aug 2, 2009
    53. Sep 8, 2009 6:57 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

I finished Week 8!! On to Week 9 and 30 min runs! Now I can work on my speed and distance. My heart rate has been going down so that is a good thing.

• eileen47 Expert 47 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    54. Sep 8, 2009 5:16 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Yesterday (Labor Day), our daughter, her husband, and I ran in a large (1100+) local 5K race while my hubby watched a grandson and took pics. Son-in-law was happy with his under 30 minute time. Daughter ran with me as an "encourager," at the tail end of the race. We ran/walked/ran/walked, were passed by young and middle-aged and even moms with strollers, and had fun all the way. As someone wrote on another thread, the route was great: we went through nice old neighborhoods with overhanging trees, watched people as they watched us, and almost made it back to the finish line before the big Labor Day parade began (same route).

I wanted to better my time from last year but probably matched it. As we went past the EMTs, I was feeling just a bit "funny" and stopped to my have blood glucose tested (I'm type 2 diabetic): it was a fairly good number so I thought my funny feeling was from the carbs I ate for breakfast (which I almost never do).  My stop probably used a couple of minutes.

I finished 8th-out-of-8  in my age group (60-64).  And for my time - very, very slow - a bit over 45 minutes. But before C25K in February '07, I couldn't run 30 seconds.

For those of you who have never been in a race, go for it - it's fun and a great motivator.

Tomorrow I'm on to week 5 of C25K! (I'm doing it by distance so it takes longer than 30 minutes. I figure I'm just building up endurance.)

PS - My daughter told me I need new "running pants." She said they are so big and floppy that they look like "clown pants." When I saw the pics my hubby took, I agreed. I'll never wear those pants again. ; )

Aug 2, 2009
    55. Sep 8, 2009 5:18 PM (in response to eileen47)

Wow Eileen that is great and so encouraging!!  Congratulations on the 5K and on the new pants!

Aug 2, 2009
    58. Sep 8, 2009 5:43 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Not yet. But it has been dropping steadily and I have done some research and alot of people have that high of heart ates and it is fine. I feel fine when I am running and after though. I get tired sometimes but nothing like I am going to keel over.

My insurance company cancelled the health system that my doctor belonged to so I have to find another doctor and it isn't as easy as it looks since everyone is looking for a new one.

Jul 20, 2009
    59. Sep 8, 2009 6:04 PM (in response to eileen47)

Eileen - Wahoo!!! Way to go! I laughed when I read about the "clown pants". I tried on some running shoes the other day. They fit in the heels but the toes were too wide. I told the store owner they felt like"clown shoes".  The owner just laughed and said he would have to remember that one. Needless to say I didn't buy them. Maybe we are starting a trend...NOT!

Jenny-I read your post about the black bears. Since you are encountering various predators on your routes ( bears, bobcats, rednecks), I would suggest you get a metal referee whistle. It is small, easy to carry but delivers an ear shattering blast. You can blow it to scare the rednecks or if you get in danger.  Also get some pepper spray if they get close.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...