Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

34945 Views 296 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 6:08 AM by Suzanne84 RSS 1 2 3 ... 20 Previous Next
RainyDayRun Pro 71 posts since
Apr 20, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 29, 2009 3:40 PM

Penguin Support Group

After much discussion in the Newbie Cafe, it has been determined that Penguins deserve love, too. So feel free to embrace your PenguinHood and  speak your mind. Get some support. Ask for help. Whatever. Personally, MY goal is to love where I am. Right now. And if I enjoy my runs, chances are I'll keep it up!

-Jenny

Life is short. Running makes it seem longer.

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Aug 29, 2009 4:34 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)
    Re: Penguin Support Group

Hi; glad we started a group for us slow runners. I am on Week 7 of C25K and I only run about 17 min  miles. I hope to get faster once I can run 30-35 minutes at a time. I am also on WW and trying to lose 100 pounds so that is one reason I am so slow. I am almost 49 years old and have never ran until 7 weeks ago.

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    2. Aug 29, 2009 4:53 PM (in response to Donna914)

Penquins unite!!!

I started running in June for the first time. Never ran in my younger days. Believe me, there is hope. I had a 6 mile long run today. It was my second longest run since I started. I had to take a week off due to sickness and I have been playing catch up until today.

Like other Penguins, I am slow. My run today took over an hour and a half. Add an extra thrity minutes for warming up and stretching. But I feel a year from now I will be able to run some marathons and that is exciting.

The most important thing to me is doing something most people think is impossible. I am improving my health, losing weight and feeling good about my new passion.

The weight loss really excelerates the longer you run. However, don't try to increase your speed. Running slow takes more work. Once you get your endurance down, the speed will follow. Just be patient.

Penquins unite!!!

• kate_mac Legend 330 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    5. Aug 29, 2009 6:10 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Just browsed the thread in the newbie cafe. You are all too funny. Eileen47, your post about your 4 races had me on the floor - hysterically funny!

I'm 57, finished c25k on Wednesday and will run my first 5k tomorrow morning! I go with no great expectations, except I secretly hope to finish in under 40 minutes. I'm hoping that I'll get caught up in the current and be pulled along. My new best friend, my Garmin forerunner, tells me that I run about a 12 minute mile. It arrived this week  - kind of glad I didnt' know that while working through c25k! I ran a 2 mile race a few weeks ago and according to their timing system (used a chip) I ran it in 21:43. But  I've since learned it wasn't exactly 2 miles so there you have it.  I was disillusioned to believe I was actually faster than I am!! But who knows, maybe I'm just faster in race conditions. Tomorrow will tell the true story. Wish me luck!

Nice to meet you all.

Kate in CT

Old Wethersfield 5k ~ 36:00

Blue Back Square 5K Mitten Run (Dec 6, 09) ~ 31:58

Lake Merced Run 4.5 M - San Francisco (Jan 3) ~ 48:30

Baja 5000 5K - (May 2) ~ 36:39

Red Dress for Women (July 10) ~ 36:34

Hartford Marathon Relay (Oct 9) ~ ran the 4th leg (10k)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec. 5) ~ 32:25

Holyoke St. Patrick's 10k (March 19) ~ 1:08:41

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 5) ~ 2:25:13

Old Wethersfield 5k (Nov 2011) 30:40 PR

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 4) ~ 31:09

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Red Dress for Women (July 7) ~ 33:43

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

MxCC Scholarship 5k (Oct, 27) ~ 31:56 (2nd place)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 2) ~ 32.22

Quinnipiac University (CT) Physicians Assistants 5k (Apr 13) ~

Cox Rhode Race 5k Providence (May 11) ~ 32:12

Blum Shapiro 5k Cromwell CT (June 8) ~

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 8)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

• cynthesis Expert 95 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    6. Aug 29, 2009 7:10 PM (in response to kate_mac)

Good luck on your race tomorrow, Kate!  Just start off a little slower than you think you should, so you don't burn out quickly.  You're going to have adrenaline going, and a lot of people take off too quickly.  The good side of that is you'll probably run a faster time than any of your previous training runs.  I was running 12:30-13:00 min/miles before I ran my 5K this year and finished the race sub-12.

I have my very first 10K coming up at the end of September and my first half marathon on November 1st.  It's kind of stupid, but I'm extra nervous about the HM because you have to run an average of a 15 min/mile, or they pick you up and cart you to the finish line!  I know I'll run slower than my 5K pace, but I suppose I deserve to be picked up if I slow down that much.

It all started for me (this time) with the C25K in late January!

5/10/2009 - Race for the Cure 5K 36:40
    9/27/09 - Great Race 10K
    11/01/2009 - Spirit of Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    01/17/2010 - Rock N Roll Arizona Half Marathon

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cynthesis Expert 95 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    9. Aug 30, 2009 7:47 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

I haven't run all that many races, and this will be my first half, but I don't know that it's normal to have the "pick-up truck" as I have named it.  The explanation was that they only are allowed to have the streets closed for a certain amount of time, which makes sense.  I imagine it would cost a lot more to keep the streets open longer.  The really interesting thing about this race is there is a "race walker" category, and to qualify for that, you have to walk a 14 min/mi!  You know I am going to be watching the backs of a lot of race walkers!  LOL

I have no problem coming in last, though it's not a goal of mine.  I will just be happy to finish, and I will take pride in that no matter where I finish.  I always try to keep in mind that there are lots of people out there who wish they could finish or wish they could start.  I have another running friend who came in second to last in a race, and she too placed in her age group.  That is great!  I say sign up for that 5K!

5/10/2009 - Race for the Cure 5K 36:40
    9/27/09 - Great Race 10K
    11/01/2009 - Spirit of Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    01/17/2010 - Rock N Roll Arizona Half Marathon

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jul 4, 2009
    10. Aug 30, 2009 6:20 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Just back from my 5k. They didn't use chips and I think the timer said I finished at 36.48 but I hit my garmin when I crossed the start  (way back in the pack!) and finish lines and I clocked 36:12, so just around a 12mm.   I kept pace with and talked to a woman running her first 10k (used same route with 10k's running it twice) which I think was very helpful in keeping me steady. I intentionally go slow to start and pick up when I'm well into the 2nd mile. I'm ecstatic about my time. My goal was to come in under 40, and only dreamed of 35. Now I have something to work towards. I don't see myself ever going faster than 35mm but who knows!. Some of the people who started out like bullets at the gun struggled to finish so I know I paced myself successfuly.  Funny thing was when 2 of the 10k runners lapped us! Serious runners

Kate in CT

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

Aug 2, 2009
    11. Aug 30, 2009 11:18 AM (in response to kate_mac)

Great job KateMac!! That is great! I am getting a little nervous about my first 5K October 25th. I am so slow. 17 min miles.

I have a garmin and I love it but I had a polar I was using and it seemed to calculate my calories burned by using my heart rate. The garmin uses distance and your age so I am not as happy with the calorie part but the distance and the heart rate monitor are great!

Aug 2, 2009
    13. Aug 31, 2009 12:36 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Today I ran my 25 minutes straight for the third time (Week 7 Day 2) and it was fabulous!  I did great; I improved my speed even and I was just trying to concentrate on finishing the 25 min but I think I could have gone longer. I did 16 min miles and some did even faster. I was so happy that I can see now that my speed can increase.

Jul 4, 2009
    14. Aug 31, 2009 1:00 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Day after 5K: no let down. No soreness. Slept very well. Actually looking forward to more training. It has me psyched!  If I don't I'm afraid I'll let it fade.  i'm going to download Gateway to 8k ~ looks like the kind of workout I'll like.  Mix it up. I really don't intend to do the 8k but I'm hoping this will strengthen/improve my 5k time. Not that I don't like being a penguin, but I also noticed that a 59 year old acquaintance won her division coming in at 26 minutes. Didn't even know she ran! Kind of has me inspired to shave a few minutes off my time. We'll see.

I was talking to a young (30ish) girl in the office today and she is an occasional runner and might come with me to the fun run on Wednesday. I really think it helps to have someone else to run with.  I just want this to be fun, not serious. I do however have a new goal. i just saw the official race results and to my horror, an 88 year old man beat me!!!!! Only by a few seconds. I saw his picture and it sure looks like this wasn't his first race so I shouldn't be too horrified.

Kate in CT

1 2 3 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...