Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2756 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2009 9:46 AM by Silky__4
OS2-USNR Amateur 17 posts since
Dec 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 31, 2009 9:54 AM

Good anti-fog stuff?

Happy Monday all!  Hope everyone had a productive weekend, particularly if you were racing. 

Could the community give me some suggestions on a good anti-fog solution?  The factory stuff has worn off my favorite goggles.  I tried some stuff called "Cat ****" from REI but it really isn't doing the job.

Thanks in advance!

• Marzipan16 Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007
    1. Sep 7, 2009 10:59 PM (in response to OS2-USNR)
    Re: Good anti-fog stuff?

The best stuff is free and always readily available...it's your saliva.  I know it sounds gross, but just lick the inside of your goggles, quick dunk in water, and your good to go.

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    2. Sep 8, 2009 6:21 AM (in response to Marzipan16)

I couldn't agree more. Every cent spent on any anti-fog-liquid etc is not worth it. Saliva is the solution, although I wouldn't actually lick the goggles, I usually spit and then distribute the saliva with my finger.

Hope this helps

Gunter

• Lovin2TRI Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 31, 2007
    4. Sep 8, 2009 6:27 AM (in response to OS2-USNR)

A tip that I have personally found to work great is one I found on a Tri Web site (can't remember which one) that suggested using cooking oil (i.e., canola) to coat the inside of your goggle lenses.   Use a miniscule amount rubbed on the inside of the lenses with a microfiber cloth, and wipe off the excess to leave only a very thin, smooth coating.  It doesn't hinder your vision at all and lasts through countless swims before you need to replenish it.  Only use a simple cooking oil -- DO NOT use petroleum based oils OR cooking spray; ingredients in those can break down the goggle materials.

• GboroMike Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 20, 2009
    5. Sep 8, 2009 1:17 PM (in response to OS2-USNR)

I use green rubbing alcohol as a lenses cleaner/ anti-fog remedy. When I ran the enduro circuit on motorcycles we had a problem with goggles fogging when

we got into the woods and green rubbing alcohol really helped. The more times you use it the better it works. I keep some in a small spray bottle and clean my swim goggle lenses and sunglasses before each outing and have no problems.

Your Life is an Adventure, Train for it !!
  • Tri - Luis Angel Amateur 31 posts since
    Sep 25, 2008
    6. Sep 10, 2009 6:37 AM (in response to OS2-USNR)

Saliva is the best like the other triathletes said.

Probably you need to wash the goggles with soap and warm water first.

Try to clean them up very well once a month. Don't leave them with lake water or pool water.

I hope it helps.

• Lovin2TRI Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 31, 2007
    7. Sep 10, 2009 9:03 AM (in response to GboroMike)

Tried the green alcohol suggestion and WOW - it does work great for both cleaning and eliminating fogginess.  I found that saliva did not work for me, even once I got past that "EEWWW" factor.... It would work temporarily but not through an entire swim.

• Archer4Life Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 11, 2008
    8. Sep 24, 2009 11:22 AM (in response to Lovin2TRI)

I had that problem with an old pair of SCUBA goggles. What I ended up having to do is remove the initial coating that the factory put on with toothpaste (not gel) and a finger. Cleaned them off, used saliva for year with never a fog problem.

• Silky__4 Expert 34 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    9. Oct 8, 2009 9:46 AM (in response to OS2-USNR)

I picked up a sample at a race last weekend.  This product worked well on my ocean swim. 

http://www.tri-swim.com/

Below is the info from the manufacturers website:

FOGGLE is the only anti-fog, cleaning towelette! Simply paint a thin film of FOGGLE onto the inside surface of your lens then let dry. Two seconds later the layer of FOGGLE disappears and there is no film or smudges left after the application. All you have now is a crystal clear lens that won’t fog up, even under the most extreme conditions.

FOGGLE has been endorsed by elite and age group athletes! Everyone loves the way their goggles remain clear during practice workouts and, most importantly, competition events!

Available in individual use wipes, convenient 6 pack or case of 48. Now buy FOGGLE at these Retailers and Online.

Park City Utah Vacation Condo Rentals

PC poster.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points