Skip navigation

2785 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2009 4:27 AM by silvereagle RSS
JoJake Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 20, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 31, 2009 8:40 PM

26.2 under 4 hours and a Marine?

My brother Michael "Mike" Giroux registered for the Marine Corp Marathon and sadly passed away June 27th.  Mike had run the Marine Corp Marathon at least four previous times.  We do not want to transfer his registration to another runner.  We want his name to appear with the results.  The Marine Corp Marathon has given us permission for someone to run with two bibs and two d-tags.  Mike's goal was to finish the race in under 4 hours.  Our hope is to find a Marine who is registered for the race that can finish in under 4 hours and would be willing to do this for us and for Mike.       After his family, three things my bother loved most was having been aMarine, running and riding his Harley Davidson Motorcyle, which he dieddoing on a mountain road in Tennessee.       My brother has run many marathons, but the Marine Corp Marathon was his favorite.  He was so proud to have been a Marine.  We would not make thisrequest otherwise.Please respond if you can do this.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    1. Sep 1, 2009 3:26 AM (in response to JoJake)
    Re: 26.2 under 4 hours and a Marine?

I would so do that if I were going to be running this year.  I am so sorry to here of your families loss and if you find nobody let me know and I will check my resources.  You might ask Rick Nealis if he can put you in touch with somebody.  Like I say if not post back on here or send me an e-mail and I will see what I can come up ith for you.

jimmy.shields@usmc.mil

This place is like home!!!!

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Sep 1, 2009 4:19 AM (in response to JoJake)

Jo,

I am truly sorry to hear about the lost  of your Brother.

My Name is Dennis Younkin and I was a Active Duty Marine from 1985 to 1989, Im not sure if your looking for a current Active Marine or not but It would be a Honor to be able to Carry your Brothers Number during the MCM this year.

I am currently registered for the event and ran it last year, I will be running it under 4 hours this year.

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• zoom1 Legend 288 posts since
    Jan 22, 2008
    3. Sep 1, 2009 6:21 AM (in response to silvereagle)

Jo,

Just a thought to take this one step further.  If you blow up a picture of your brother on a big cardboard, you can give it to any runners at the end of the race (i.e., Dennis or someone else), they can put the bib number on the picture at the end of the race where folks take the finisher's photo.  It could just be a picture of the cardboard with the bib number hanging on it.  That way your brother can be part of the official finisher's photo and you can purchase that picture as a memento or you can ask one of the many marines that are there to hold up the card board and the bib number as the picture is taken.

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    5. Sep 3, 2009 4:27 AM (in response to JoJake)

Joann,

Your very welcome and if you need anything just ask........

See you there......

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...