Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1247 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 2, 2009 8:30 AM by AsphaltRunner
REDjulieg Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 2, 2009 7:55 AM

Recovery Time after First Half Marathon

Hi - I just ran my first half Marathon on Sunday the 30th. It was great and am already signed up for another one in October.  My question is how much time do I need to take for recovery before i begin running again. Today my quads are a little sore but other than that i feel great. I would really like to run today but also don't want to risk an injury. Any suggestions and your experience would be helpful.  Thanks.

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 2, 2009 8:30 AM (in response to REDjulieg)
    Re: Recovery Time after First Half Marathon

The general rule of thumb is one recovery day for each mile of your race.  So half marathon would mean 13 recovery days.  This does not mean do not run for 13 days.  It means listen to your body, if you need to rest then rest.  If you can run then run.  If you run make sure you are running slowly and less than you normally do.  Also if your leg muscles are too sore to run you could always cross train - but do the XT easy (low intensity).

I tend to run the day after my races, I feel it helps in the recovery process.

Good job on your half and good luck on your next one.

James

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points