Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5559 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2009 7:57 AM by SpeedGirl
Paiges78 Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 3, 2009 2:32 PM

Water in my ears?

I'm fairly new to swimming and I'm training for the swimming leg of a triathalon.  I feel a lot more confident in the water than I did, but I'm concerned about my ears.  Sometimes they faintly ache and I think it's from getting water in them.  I looked up swimmer's ear and per google, don't have it.  I bought a swimming cap but it doesn't completely cover my ears and water still gets in.  I end up shaking my head almost like a dog to get the water out of my ears after a workout. Is there a better way to handle this?

• swimr4JC Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    1. Sep 5, 2009 7:49 PM (in response to Paiges78)
    Re: Water in my ears?

I've heard of many ways to get water out of ears after swimming. My friend, who has been swimming competitively for 15+ years always swabs some rubbing alcohol in his ears... He says it can sting, but gets all the water out.

Other than rubbing alcohol I've heard some stuff about vinegar, but I'm not sure. You'd have to Google it.

Hope this helps!

• robolton Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    2. Sep 12, 2009 11:13 PM (in response to Paiges78)

I have the same problem and have had a lot of trouble with swimmer's ear. I wear ear plugs when I swim. I've found that silicon ear plugs work best. I do what they tell you not to do - insert it in the ear canal a bit and only use about 3/4 of one. If water gets in my ear anyway jumping up and down until it comes out is the best way to get it out. I use a mixture of 50% vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol applied with a q-tip to dry out my ears after showers and swimming.

• don hoover Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    4. Sep 21, 2009 12:05 PM (in response to Paiges78)

I've used the wax ear plugs and they work well for me.  I use them especially in colder water since cold water in my inner ear adversely affects my balance when coming out of water. 

I usually get water in my ear when training without the wax ear plugs.  After swimming I merely pour a tiny amount of alcohol into my ear with head turned up sideways allowing alcohol to run into my ear.  Then reverse the head allowing alcohol to run out--which it does freely taking any water with it.  No sting at all.  Also, good way to kill any fungus or bacteria lurking in some lake waters.

• SpeedGirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    5. Oct 27, 2009 7:57 AM (in response to Paiges78)

When I was a young swimmer, my coach told us to use a eardrop mix of 50% alcohol and 50% vinegar because alcohol alone is too harsh.  Now you can buy over the counter drops to dry out the water.  After the bottle is empty, it is easy enough to create your own drops.  Using them consistently after each swim has helped me avoid swimmer's ear.  Once you get swimmers ear, it isn't only painful but hard to keep away, so prevention is key. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points