Skip navigation

1779 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2009 11:55 AM by RunDaddyRunx4 RSS
Noel90298 Amateur 13 posts since
Apr 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 4, 2009 4:40 AM

Maximum Heart Rate

I am a 41 year old first time marathoner and I have a question about heart rate.

I am a 'slow' runner, but I'm improving each week.  My concern is my heart rate.  Right now I stop running and start walking when my heart rate hits 153.  That usually keeps my rate under 160 (it goes up a little even after I start walking).

Is that a safe zone to be in for a few hours?  Should I keep it lower?  Can I run until it reaches 160 and then start walking (which would allow it to raise to 165 or so)?

I'm not in excellent shape.  I'm using this marathon to help me get there.  I don't have any chest pain or anything when my heart rate goes high.  I'm just concerned with it be so elevated for so long.

Noel

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Sep 4, 2009 5:46 AM (in response to Noel90298)
    Re: Maximum Heart Rate

When I started my heart rate was high thoughout my training.  I ran some long runs with it 170-180 (that not where you want to be) but it is a fitness thing.  I have been training fairly hard for about  a year my fitness level is a lot better and my heart rate is a lot better.  Your problem will be with lactic acid and fueling yourself with a high heart rate for a marathon.  You need to learn your max heart rate to find where you need to train:  for me 65-70% is 143 (recovery runs) 70-75% Max aerobic benefit Most training 150, 75-80% temp runs 160, 85 % fast tempo runs 165 and 85-95 % speed work or 5k pace 170.  I like to keep my heart rate for a marathon between 150-160, with hills it's okay for it to go up it just needs to go back down.  It would help your training to teach your body to recovey while still running, just take the pace down until you hearth rate goes down (try it without walking some).    You should be able to find a heart rate caculator on line to help find your #'s  Good luck.  Heart rates will tell you a lot (overtraining, undertraining, ect).

• HanHail Legend 219 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    2. Sep 4, 2009 6:08 AM (in response to Noel90298)

Noel -

This topic has been discussed before and because I'm too lazy to type, here's what I had posted then:

"When I run, my HR goes upto insane levels, close to 200! As much as I like the thought, it's NOT 220 minus my age Then I read what Hal Higdon had written about a girl he was coaching. Her HR would run upto 240, but she was an awesome runner! Apparently there are some variations in people that are medically inexplicable. So these days, rather than get bogged down by these empirical guidelines, I just go by my feel - as stupid as it may be!"

I've run 10 marathons in 2.5 years as a mid-pack runner and am training to run 3 more between September and October.

The formula for max HR was apparently computed with a small sampling and even the inventor admits it's flawed. It's probably a good idea to get yourself checked out if you feel uncomfortable, but otherwise, I'd say just go by your feel!

Hope this helps. Happy running!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Sep 4, 2009 7:16 AM (in response to HanHail)

The real question is what is your maximum heart rate?  Your zones are figured from your maximum so until you know that you can't tell if 160 is reasonable.  Unfortunately the usual formulas (220 minus age for instance) are statistical in nature so are incorrect  for a large percentage of us.  Without testing for your maximum, the best you can do is to go by feel or perceived exertion, like Zoom said.  The other thing that I agree with is to check with your doctor, and let him know what you're doing, so he can do a good evaluation.

Len

• PersianP Legend 468 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    4. Sep 4, 2009 2:20 PM (in response to Noel90298)

Since this is your first marathon I suggest to have a doctor visit. I saw a 27 year old girl dropped and died at mile 23 in Dallas White Rock marathon last year. Later it was determined it was a heart failure! I talked to her coach and she said, the girl was in excellent condition and was trying to do 3:30 marathon.

Don't take your heart lightly.

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    5. Sep 4, 2009 8:46 AM (in response to Noel90298)

I have never paid attention to heart rate to determine pace.  During a marathon I know that I have to pace myself in order to finish.  I adjust pace based on  my breathing and how I feel.  To finish a marathon I have to run at a speed that feels comfortable.  My pace varies throughout the race based on weather conditions, difficulty of the course and how I feel at the time.  It is something that I figured out while running long runs (>8 miles).  If I can't finish a long run at a comfortable running pace then I know that I started too fast.  I will adjust my pace accordingly for my next long run. 

During training my pace is based on breathing, but I have objectives:  easy or hard, speed, time, distance, or hills.

If I am doing hill training or sprints then I will really push myself because I know when I am going to be able to slow down or reach the end of the upslope.  Even when doing long distance speed training I can't go any faster than my breathing will allow.

There's a training recommendation that states you should be able to carry on a conversation during the run.  I think if someone is having a conversation during a run then they aren't really running to their potential.  I hate it when talking people pass me early during a marathon, but I always catch up and pass them by mile 22.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• RunDaddyRunx4 Legend 1,037 posts since
    May 12, 2008
    6. Sep 4, 2009 11:55 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    lenzlaw wrote:lenzlaw wrote:

The real question is what is your maximum heart rate?  Your zones are figured from your maximum so until you know that you can't tell if 160 is reasonable.  Unfortunately the usual formulas (220 minus age for instance) are statistical in nature so are incorrect  for a large percentage of us.  Without testing for your maximum, the best you can do is to go by feel or perceived exertion, like Zoom said.  The other thing that I agree with is to check with your doctor, and let him know what you're doing, so he can do a good evaluation.

Len has a good point, you need to figure out your own max.  By calculation mine is 182 but I have reached 196 several times during a run.  I use 196 as my max to  determine my zones.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points