Skip navigation

2691 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2009 3:24 PM by jasonmellet RSS
jasonmellet Pro 77 posts since
Jul 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 7, 2009 6:07 PM

pain in my abs for the entire run

did my first tri. it was awesome. came 11th in my age group and 102nd overall out of about 600 people. i had just come out of the transition area, did 15 miles on the bike. got an aweful cramp in my ab area. hung around for the entire run. what could it be. did recently just get aero bars for my bike. thought it might be that as i might not be used to being cramped up yet and then the lengthening of the abs when the run started forced them to cramp up.

look forward to anyones knowledge.

thanks

jason

Jason Mellet

Im racing my first full ironman in may 2011. I am raising money for alzheimer's whilst im training for it. You can find out more in my blog on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/2e8sazl

Here is my Alzheimer's donatation page.

http://tinyurl.com/23fqnhf

• Marzipan16 Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007
    1. Sep 7, 2009 11:04 PM (in response to jasonmellet)
    Re: pain in my abs for the entire run

I don't think it had anything to do with your aero bars, but more along the lines of nutrition during the race.  Did you drink enough? too much?  Gatorade or water? Any gels?  Your body is like a mini chem lab and if something is off kilter, and your making it output alot of energy, it will single you something is wrong i.e. cramps.

• Solar Guy Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    2. Sep 8, 2009 10:55 PM (in response to jasonmellet)

Congrats on the 1st tri. Well done.  I had the same situation at Oceanside 70.3 this year.  After the swim I had pain in my stomach during the 1st 10 miles. It was awful.   Around mile 15, ***** that felt like tennis balls relived the situation, then I was fine for the rest of the race  Sometimes  swimming causes me to inadvertantly swallow air.  I think that's what happened, or maybe too much protein powder, that does it too.  You didn't mention when/if/how the cramps went away.

Dec 19, 2007
    4. Sep 10, 2009 12:38 PM (in response to jasonmellet)

You had 2 bottles of water on your 15 mile ride?  Personally, I think that's way too much and you potentially over-hydrated.  I did that during a marathon and have also read that over-hydrating is worse than under-hydrating.  If I have a a 20 mile ride, I usually drink 3/4 bottle of gatorade and maybe a little water and I'm 5'5 and 180 lbs.  With sweating so much you really need to have something like gatorade to replenish your body, water only dilutes your system even more.

The pain in your abs now, maybe just soreness post-race and after reading your comment again, I think you had too much in your system.  Like you said you had half a bottle of gatorade - about 8 oz - before your run, coupled with 2 bottles of water - about 32 oz - that's 40 oz, over a quart of liquid your body needs to process in less than 2 hours.  Try to back down on how much you are taking in and I bet the cramps will go away.

Dec 19, 2007
    6. Sep 10, 2009 9:57 PM (in response to jasonmellet)

Heavy Sweaters Unite!!  ok that sounded gross, but I hear ya brother, I know the feeling of sweat residue after a workout.  That's why I can't stress enough the importance of a Gatorade-style drink.  Recently, I am testing out Gatorade Endurance.  It's a little more "beefier" than gatorade, and most long distance tri's (I am in the final weeks of training for my first 70.3) offer this drink.  If you don't want Gatorade, you could check out Hammer or Accelerade.  These all come in powder form, I've seen GNC have Accelerade, or you could try REI...or just order from the internet.

Sprint and Olympic tri's I don't think I would take any extra supplements.  The distances are too short and if you are taking gel packets and drinking properly, in my opinion, that should be plenty.  I have considered taking salt tablets only because I, genetically, have low sodium in my blood coupled with sweating like a snow cone in Phoenix, but I have heard mixed reviews on tablets.

All in all, start mix and matching.  Try gels, gel blocks, sports beans, different kinds of drinks, and listen to your body, it'll let you know when you got a good balance going.

• Rehab United Pro 42 posts since
    Feb 16, 2009
    8. Sep 17, 2009 10:22 AM (in response to jasonmellet)

I agree that nutrition was likely the culprit, but I do think the aero bars could have factored into the equation (especially if the cramping lasted beyond that day).  Do you have aero bars on a road bike or is it a tri bike?  When you purchased the bike, did they fit you to it?  Was the pain just in the abs - what about the hip flexors and hamstrings?

I also agree that an tri lasting about an hour does not require much more than a bottle of water or sports drink, but that's assuming you start the race well-fueled and well-hydrated (so there's more to it than just rolling out of bed and starting a sprint).

Cheers,

Justin

Rehab United
    Physical Therapy
    RU Sports Performance Center

"Where Athletes Become Champions" (TM)

San Diego, CA

www.RehabUnited.com

• Rehab United Pro 42 posts since
    Feb 16, 2009
    10. Sep 21, 2009 9:05 AM (in response to jasonmellet)

I hear you about working with a tight budget - and congrats on the new addition!

Just some general info - Bit fits usually cost ~$150 and are worth every penny.  Many shops will go through a fitting process before you purchase a bike and credit the money you spent on the fit towards the bike.  They can also fit you to your current bike -adjust bars, stem, saddle position, etc.  The major issue with aero bars on a road bike is that it often closes the hip angle too much, leading to a decrease in force production.  If you feel that this might be the case, a quick, temporary solution is to raise the bars slightly (it may take you a little out of the aero position, but could open up the hips).

Hope that helps.  Cheers,

Justin

Rehab United
    Physical Therapy
    RU Sports Performance Center

"Where Athletes Become Champions" (TM)

San Diego, CA

www.RehabUnited.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...