Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2278 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2009 5:42 PM by DCtoPgh RSS
zebUSCG Expert 38 posts since
Nov 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 8, 2009 3:59 PM

Worried about overtraining while prepping for Ultra runs? (Bit Long)

Hey how goes it; next year by the end of April looking to run a 50 mile ultra race. At the end of the year goal is to run the distance of a 50k. That is about fourteen weeks away in conjunction with a local marathon. Goal is mostly to complete it and finish it before 4 hours and thirty minutes. Right now working to allow myself to make it to 42 miles this week and completed an 18 mile run on Monday. Schedule for the next couple of weeks looks loosely like this:

Week

Sun.

Mon.

Tues.

Wed.

Thur.

Fri.

Sat.

1 = 42 miles

6 Mile Run

18 Mile Run

Bike Ride 1 hr.

14 mile run

Off

3 mile swim

4 Mile Run

2 = 40 miles

12 Mile Run

12 Mile Run

Bike Ride 1 hr.

12 Mile Run

4 Mile Run

3 mile swim

Off

3 = 44

6 mile run

18 mile run

Bike Ride 1 hr.

14 mile run

4 mile run

2 mile swim and 2 mile run

Off

4 = 46

12 mile run

14 mile run

Bike Ride 1 hr.

14 mile run

4 mile run

3 mile swim

Off

5 = 42

20 Mile run and 1 mile walking

Bike Ride 1 hr.

9 Mile Run

9 Mile Run

4 Mile Run

Bike Ride 1 hr.

Off

6 = 44

22 Mile Run

Bike Ride 1 hr.

9 Mile Run

9 Mile Run

4 Mile Run

3 Mile Swim

Off

7 = 48

12 Mile Run

10 Mile Run

Bike Ride 1 hr. or 2 Mile Swim

12 Mile Run

4 Mile Run

8 Mile Run

Off

8 = 46

12 Mile Run

10 Mile Run

Bike Ride 1 hr. or 2 Mile Swim

10 Mile Run

4 Mile Run

8 Mile Run

Off

9 = 50

24 Mile Run

Off

Bike Ride 1 hr.

12 Mile Run

2 Mile Run

12 Mile Run

Off

10 = 50

22 Mile Run

3 Mile Swim

12 mile run

4 mile Swim

4 Mile Run

12 Mile Run

Off

11 = 48

14 Mile Run

Bike Ride 1 hr.

10 Mile Run

12 Mile Run

Off

12 Mile Run

Off

12 = 46

10 Mile Run

12 Mile Run

4 Mile Swim

12 Mile Run

Off

12 Mile Run

Off

13 = 44

12 Mile Run

Bike Ride 1 hr.

10 Mile Run

12 Mile Run

Off

10 Mile Run

Off

14 = 44

5 Mile Run

5 Mile Run

3 Mile Swim

5 Mile Run

Off

Off

Race = 50K

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008

You did not ask any questions.  You just made a statement.  Your title makes it seem that you believe your training may be too much and cause over-training.  First everyone is different.  Some people can handle working out a lot, 10-20 hours/week.  While for others 5 hours/week may be too much.  A lot of outside influences (work, family, etc) can negatively impact your training.  Second you do not say much about your background.  Your previous experience will most likely determine how much you can handle.  4:30 for a 50k may be aggressive depending on your ability.  Third you do not mention your race, is it a road or trail race with lots of climb?  Some trails have lots of climb and 4:30 may not be attainable except by the elites.

IMO the schedule you posted seems reasonable.  But it would not be reasonable for a beginner with no running background.

BTW, where did you get this training schedule?  It is geared more towards triathletes.

James

James
  • koxirane Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 7, 2009

How does one know if they are overtraining?

I mean if I could get away with it i would train 15-20hrs/week, but family and job prevent this(maybe that's a good thing).  Most of my running is on treadmill, because it's too dam hot outside.  I'm putting in 60-80miles/week, never run a marathon and thinking of doing one in Nov. It would be nice to BQ with this relatively flat marathon in Fla.  I frequently get gluteal and leg pains, but I just run through it with ibuprofen.  Anyway are there some more obvious signs of overtraining other than pure exhaustion?

Kayvon

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007

I just got into ultra running so am by no means an expert. I ran a 50K in June, a 6 hour race in July, and am training for a 50 miler in November. I also ran  5 marathons in the previous few months. I burned out in a big way at the end of August. My runs were slow and my body was beat to he!! so I took a week off and it worked wonders. My training program can be found here. I got the advice from a few sources to do back to back long runs. It seems as though your weekly mileage is similar to mine, but structured  differently. I also notice that a few times you have back to back recovery/cross training days- would it make more sense to break it up? I guess what I'm suggesting is that the content is fine but re-organizing it may result in more effective training. However, as I said, I'm a newbie and also learning, so take other people's advice before you take mine Good luck!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

Aug 15, 2007

koxirane wrote:

How does one know if they are overtraining?

Anyway are there some more obvious signs of overtraining other than pure exhaustion?

Some references for you to check out. Dead give aways for me are huge increases in irritability, trouble sleeping, increased resting heart rate and decreased performance.

http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/triathlon-training/overtraining-syndrome-000134.php

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm

My Blog | i2P

• koxirane Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 7, 2009

DCtoPgh,

Thanks for the links.  Unfortuantely my life as a surgery resident and now anesthesia resident put me in an irritable and stressed out mood at baseline.  I do notice however, if I do not get enough calories I will even get more irritiable (if that's possible-the ICU nurses would tend to agree).  I cannot say enough for you ultramarathoners...Hopefully some day when i have more control over my life I will be able to complete a longer race...

Good luck to you in your 50 miler endeaver.

Kayvon

Nov 25, 2008

zebUSCG - That schedule will be hard for you if you usually run 30mpw and your long run is up to 16 miles.  The first week already has two longish runs: 18 and 14.  Also the plan peaks at 50 mpw which would be a big jump for you.  Cut back weeks are used to allow your body to recover from previous weeks of hard workouts or increases in mileage; cut back weeks are not intended to minimize burn out. 

I am purely a marathoner that will occasionally do an ultra.  There are elements of that program that I do not like: too much XT (from a runner's perspective), taper is too long (4 weeks), last week is too low in volume.  Mostly minor quibbles.  IMO, most (non-beginner) marathon training programs will get you through 50k.

Personally I take time off between races to avoid over training and burn out.  Also I have no problems skipping workouts if I am too busy or tired.

James

James
    Nov 25, 2008

DCtoPgh - I took a look at the Annapolis Striders Plan you are following.  I am fairly surprised by the low weekly mileage and lack of length on the longest long run (26.2 miles).  I would not feel prepared to tackle 50 miles with that plan.  I like this plan by Hal Higdon better, but it requires more running: http://www.halhigdon.com/ultramarathon/schedule.html

I will also have to admit begin an ultra novice.  I have only done one 50k ultra (with over 5k climb) and most recently ran 33 miles (did a marathon race then added 7 miles to the end).  I do run a lot of marathons and lately my weekly mileage is around 70mpw.

James

James
    Aug 15, 2007

Good info, James, thanks for sharing. I wish I would have found this earlier, I love Hal Higdon plans. In all honesty, I'm a Ph.D. student in an incredibly competitive program so I don't think I'd have time or energy (speaking about burnout: it's not just running-related!) to tackle 50% more mileage. Sure I'd be better trained, but I'd never make it to the starting line. I've upped my longest run from 26.2 to 31 and plan to run before/after my marathons. May go longer than that. My understanding is that physiologically the Sat/Sun back to back runs in either program serve as one really long run (i.e. 20 on Sat and 10 on Sun roughly equal a 30 miler).

My Blog | i2P

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...