Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12878 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2010 6:46 AM by Ame J RSS 1 2 Previous Next
wende61 Rookie 4 posts since
Feb 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 13, 2009 2:35 PM

GI problems while running

Help!  I just finished a half marathon ... had to relieve myself in the bushes at mile 10 due to diarrhea  - ugh.  This is not a first.  I had taken two immodium pre-race and two more at mile 6.   Am scheduled to run my first full marathon in 3 weeks.Desperately seeking advice!

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    1. Sep 13, 2009 2:56 PM (in response to wende61)
    Re: GI problems while running

what are you doing the day of and before the race that you are not doing for your long runs ?

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    3. Sep 13, 2009 3:13 PM (in response to wende61)

ok what do eat the day before  ?

Have you tried a long run with no sports drink - maybe they are upsetting you

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    4. Sep 21, 2009 8:31 AM (in response to spicegeek)

Welcome to my world!!!  Say hello to the "runner's trots" You should look up that term, there is a lot a good adivce about what to do.  It is a quite common experience for distance runners.  I have troubles all of the time.  I have found running routes that have port-o- potties around...or I run where I now there is somewhere I can stop in case of emergencies!!!  It does help me run faster, though (to the toilet)!!!  LOL

Good luck!

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

• taylormade050 Pro 77 posts since
    Aug 24, 2004
    5. Sep 23, 2009 7:13 AM (in response to wende61)

You need to start your long runs with an empty gut.  If I do a long run or a race in the morning the last thing I ate will have been about 11-12 hours before the run.  If you run other than in the early morning you need to put as much time between eating something and running as possible.  I have also heard (and agree with) that everyone is lactose intolerant on long runs.

• marley mission Pro 65 posts since
    Jul 2, 2009
    6. Sep 23, 2009 8:44 AM (in response to taylormade050)

i feel for ya - i had this problem for awhile and only recently it has gotten better -

first - i learned that i MUST move my bowels before i run - so i must get up early and eat and have coffee to stimulate this - my runs vary between 9 and 21 miles

second - i learned that i must watch what i eat to stimulate my bowel movement - i have found that 3 tablespoons of peanut butter work the best - other things bothered my stomach

third - i learned that milk in the coffee was causing the 'second bullet' effect - meaning i was going before my run and during - so no more milk - no more problem

and last - i would watch how late and how much i ate the night before - especially before tlong runs and races

i also have a small carry pack  and in it always is a small roll of TP - for piece of mind only lately - i hope you find success as i know that this issue is very distressing for runners - for me it was 2nd only to injury as a concern

anyway - good luck

now running in...

Vibram Five Fingers KSO and KSO TREKS

come ck out the vff enthusiast community birthdayshoes.com

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/marleymission/bobrunnercopy.png

• runningdreamer Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    7. Sep 23, 2009 3:26 PM (in response to wende61)

Hey, this sounds like a form of Irritable Bowel Syndrome!  Same thing happens to me when I am stressed out about work (not when running, thank goodness).  Since running is clearly a physical stress on the body, it makes sense.  BTW, do you think you are eating too much fiber?

• bih2227 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 22, 2007
    9. Sep 24, 2009 11:08 AM (in response to wende61)

I solved that problem by waking up an hour and a half before the run and eating carrot with peanut butter on it  with hot lemon water first thing. I also take probiotics - friendly baterica with the meal also. That helps empty bowels fast plus the probiotics binds them for later. Barry

• BPS1976 Amateur 34 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    10. Sep 24, 2009 12:00 PM (in response to wende61)

I can't speak for anyone else, but here's wha's helped me.

1) Don't eat before a run

2) Get up earlier than you think you have to

I know some people -- better runners than I -- who insist on eating and drinking before a race.  For me personally, I disagree.  I generally try to make sure I drink plenty of water the day before so my body's hydrated, but not eat or drink anything that morning so that my stomach is not upset. (I do drink a little at water stations during races)

My exception to that is if I've got a long drive to get to my race. (I run some races in baltimore 1.5 hours away) Then I eat before I leave.

Getting up early has really helped me a lot, too.  I try to make sure I'm up like an hour to an hour and a half before I run.  I wake up, go to the restroom, then read and relax for awhile before trying to use the restroom again.  Unfortunately, during the summer this means getting up at 5 or 5:30 in the summer when I try to beat the heat, but it's a better alternative to starting my run and then feeling like I had to use the bathroom again.

(FYI, my longest run to date is 10 miles -- so maybe "don't eat before" isn't an option for a marathon

http://earnyourdonuts.blogspot.com/

• run50yrs Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    11. Sep 26, 2009 11:43 AM (in response to wende61)

Before training runs, I always wake up two hours before and have a couple of cups of coffee.  On race days, I give it three hours and get to the race an hour early.  The adrenaline rises when I get there and that stimulates me again, leaving me empty.  Haven't had a problem in many years.

• mqsmith Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 7, 2009
    12. Sep 28, 2009 5:14 AM (in response to wende61)

Hopefully, I can offer you some help.  I understand the jittery stomach and I do run on an empty stomach also.  I've had running partners each while we run but I can't do that, it makes for a very uncomfortable run.  Recently, I found some products that have increased my running endurance and improved my run without upsetting my stomach even though I still don't eat before a run.   www.advocare.com/09083680.  If you go to the active line, the spark is the endurance product, the O2 gold increases the amount of oxygen that gets to your muscles while running(awesome!!!) and in the trim line, the catalyst preserves all muscles while you train, train, train.  They even offer a wide variety of products through the wellness line that would help with GI health.  I hope I have helped.

• mqsmith Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 7, 2009
    14. Sep 28, 2009 5:40 AM (in response to wende61)

i just started with them about a month ago.  my husband and I have been in the health club business for the past 12 years and in the fitness industry for the past 18 years.  we have tried any and all supplements that we have sold and nothing compares to these products.  the medical advisory board, the endorsers and just the "real" people that are involved with advocare has blown us away.  I love the variety that they offer and the customer support.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points