Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9952 Views 82 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2009 12:52 PM by Linda48170 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Ware713 Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009

That's good that you pushed through even though you did not feel well. Hopefully, your not coming down with anything. The FLU is everywhere! I try to eat a Special K bar or granola bar before I work out just to help me get through the workout. On W1D2, I forgot to eat anything and I felt like I was starving afterwards. I didn't overeat, but I wanted to. Lesson learned! I hope you feel better.

Veleka

Sep 20, 2009

Hey Lin! I think it is great that you are doing C25K outside instead of on a treadmill. One of our other C25K posters wrote there was a big difference between the treadmill and outside. For right now, I  am on the treadmill, but that is mostly because I workout at 5am and it is still dark outside. I know I am going to have to do some of the workout outside just to get a feel of what it will be like doing a 5K.

I thought D2 of W1 was better too! I still huffed and puffed, but not as bad as D1. Keep us informed of your progress!

Veleka

Sep 20, 2009

Twistingpath, weighing at night is horrible. You have to think...... during that day, you have eaten and drank different liquids. All of that plus your original weight is really what you are weighing. I have started weighing in the mornings and not everyday. The scale can be very discouraging. I like to see the difference in the fit of my clothes. I have learned that sometimes your body changes shape before it is seen on the scale. If your going to weigh, DO NOT weigh at night. That sabotaged plenty of exercise routines for me in the past.

I will complete W1D3 tomorrow and I am actually looking forward to it. Especially since the burning in my lungs was not as bad on D2. Keep us up to date!

Veleka

Sep 20, 2009

Hey Natalie! First of all, congratulations on completing the New York marathon. I understand what you mean by stress, but I have come to realize that you have to have and take time out for yourself. If you are not happy with yourself, it is hard to be happy for and with everyone else. If running is a passion, you should definitely write down your schedule and see where you can squeeze it in. I would hate for you to get older and that be your only regret! That is why I decided to run at 5am. It is before everyone is up in the house and after my workout, I still have enough time to shower and dress before waking the kids up to start our day. If I tried to run in the afternoons, I know I would never get the workout done. I am a nurse too and I am just too tired by that time. Plus, I am usually cooking, helping with homework, and listening to everything that went on in my kids day. You can add my husband into that equation also!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sep 20, 2009

Hey SarahCole. I think it is great that you are averaging 2lbs a week. That is a great accomplishment considering you could not lose not one pound before finding a medicine dosage that worked! At that rate, you may even pass your goal weight by December 31!

I am trying to decide whether I want to walk on the treadmill on my off days. I have not done anything so far, but after W1D1, I needed that next day break! LOL! Not to bad after D2, but I'll have to let you know how I feel after D3. If I feel ok, I may start walking to try and help increase my endurance. Maybe the huffing and puffing and burning in my lungs will go completely away, LOL!

Veleka

Sep 20, 2009

Good job finishing your workout before the confusion began, LOL! So, you walk on the off days of the workout? Does that make you sore? I was thinking about doing that, but I think your the first person I have read that is actually doing some working out on the off days. I will complete D3 tomorrow morning and I was thinking about walking on Saturday morning. If I walk on my off days, then Sunday will be my day of rest.

I'm glad you were able to fit and complete your work out with everything you already had to do!

• AmandaJCD Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009

Hey there, Ware

Yeah, I tend to walk on my off days.  So far at any rate!  I'd been walking for about three months prior to starting the C25K program, and had also included some running intervals in that (although not with the frequency of this program) and some incline intervals as well.

So on my off days I'm continuing with my incline walking.  I do my standard 60 minute walk.  5 minutes 3 MPH warmup, 10 minutes 3.5MPH, then the incline begins.  I back down to 3MPH but ramp up to 10% grade for 2 minutes, down to 5% for 5 minutes, repeat for 30 minutes (ending up with 5  10% intervals for 2 minutes each and 4 5% intervals for 5 minutes each), and then I drop back down to 1% (which passes for "flat" on my treadmill) and walk at 3MPH for the last 15 minutes of the hour.  I can cut the end of the walk down or extend it, depending on how busy any given evening might be.

So far it's not making me sore, which is a plus.

My big worry is that I'm supposed to be doing Day 3 of Week 1 today, but I don't officially start Week 2 until Sunday and I'm really a bit skeeved out about having two entire days off of running before I have to start a more challenging set of running intervals.  Yipes!  So I'm considering walking again tonight and doing Day 3 on Friday so I'll only have one day off between Friday and Sunday.

Or maybe I should go ahead with tonight so I'm well rested for Sunday?

And yes, yes I do overthink things.  How could you tell? 

Sep 20, 2009

That's a heck of a workout program! And you call that your day off? I feel like a wimp compared to you, LOL! I guess I can start adding some walking on my days off. I was just holding off to see what my body would feel like on my off days. I had some soreness after W1D1, but I've been much better since then. That's why I wanted to know if anyone else was doing anything on their off days. You have motivated me to do ANYTHING! I am due to start W1D3 tomorrow. I was thinking about just walking on Saturday so that I would not have two days off before starting W2. Depending on how I feel after D3, I may repeat W1 to help build my endurance.  I will be able to tell after tomorrow.

I really have to put in my town and find a local race. That would definitely help motivate me to move along in the program. I just hate to push myself too fast. If I am not satisfied with my endurance after a work out, I am going to be realistic. I will still look for a race. That would help me reach for a specific goal.

Let me know how your strenuous walking schedule holds up since you started C25K!

• NewMom954 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009

Hi Everyone!  I'm a 27 year old new mom of a 5 month old baby girl!  I'm about 5'7" and 170lbs.  I'm just not a "thin" girl but would love to tone up.  I'm back in my pre-pregnancy pants but it's just not the same! My husband and I are both teachers so are schedules are a little hectic lately.  He is an avid runner and has completed up to a 10K at one point in his running.  He regularly does about 3-4 miles.  I just did W1D2 yesterday and feel great.  I occassionally would go for walks or walks with short running intervals but nothing like this.  I'm feeling pretty good! I think I might go for a walk tonight and take the baby in the stroller - She loves seeing everything.  I'm glad to hear such positive feedback on the program. 

I downloaded one of the iPod podcasts and loved it - The music was ok but I really liked not having to pay attention to a watch or something. 

• AmandaJCD Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009

Re: the intensity of my walking workout, please remember I've been walking for about three months, so what's intense for some folks is more normal for me.  It definitely gets my heart rate up and there is massive perspiration, but it doesn't have me cursing the day my brother was born (he's the one who suggested the higher intensity incline intervals) the way I was back when I first amped it up.

But yeah, I'd say it's fine to go ahead and walk on the days you aren't running.  Just pick something within a comfortable range for you, and save the true "pushing" for the C25K days (sayeth the total newbie runner -- so please take my suggestions with a grain of salt!).

W1D3 went well, although I screwed up and didn't stretch like I should have afterward so I'm a bit sore through the glutes and calves today.  It's funny -- I can bust my butt on those walking inclines and have zero effects the next day, but just stick me running for 8 minutes and I'm one of the walking wounded, LOL.

Now I can obsess about the 90-second intervals on W2D1.  Yes I'm freaked about those.  I tried a few 90-second interval runs about 3 weeks ago.  I only managed 3 intervals, and I was even taking 3.5 minute walks in between each interval.  So... yeah.  Panic is setting in.  Yipes!

Have a good weekend, folks   And before I forget,  welcome NewMom and everyone else!

• Linda48170 Amateur 30 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009

Valeka...interesting about the big difference between the treadmill and running outside.   But it does make sense because the treadmll is even and steady. The streets in my neighborhood are curvy and slightly incline-y.  Anyway, went on my 3rd day of Week 1 this morning with my husband and 3-yr-old Claire (adoreable granddaughter) who is spending the weekend...well Claire's pretty fast when running in the house, but not so great on a real "run". lol.  So.......I am the one who finished today while my husband ended up walking  the distanceand picking dandelions with Claire.  Yes, we did kind of expect that would happen

I'm gonna repeat Week 1 next week as I'm not running the 60 seconds  segments so easily.  At least I think I am.  Will decide for sure on Monday morn, which is the beginning of Week 2 for me. 

Will be back later to catch and cheer some others here...

Lin

• zandrah Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009

i started a week before you on the treadmill.  i am really looking forward to it.  i've found that it's "my time" no phones, no other distractions, it's so nice.  i'm a 30 yr old female and hope this is a life long experience.  hows it going so far Megan?  i also found that the links for the mp3s downloads of the c25k have been extremely fun and helpful.

zandra

Sep 20, 2009

Hey Zandrah and welcome! I was wondering where you got the MP3 downloads? I am looking for new songs for my MP3 player, but I am having a hard time finding songs. Or, maybe I am just not putting the time and energy into searching like I should. I completed W1D3 today with no problems. I am still not happy with my endurance level while running so I think I am going to repeat W1 again until I feel sure I am ready to move on. Considering how well things went this week, I feel like one more week will do it. I just do not want to go to W2 and get discouraged because I cannot finish. Better safe than sorry!

Veleka

• twistingpath Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009

W1D2 is tonight for me. I was going to yesterday but I was still a little knee-sore. I have a gripey knee and am not impressed. LOL.  So I may be doing more every-third-day just to pamper my knee and give it adequate rest time.

Veleka--I am behaving!  I have told my daughter to take the scale upstairs and hide it!  She brought it back down today and I am down a pound, so I am thrilled. AND I feel better for not obsessing. That is so NOT zen to obsess. So, no more. I know I am eating right as I have been doing this since January 1, and I know running at night will increase my weight.  So, since I am at goal (between 150-155 is my range) I seriously need to chill and trust.

I now have 3 possible 5k's for October, one of which I can take my dog. Yay!  Looking forward to that! (He is too, I swear.)

I have also been eating slightly less protein, and more vegetables and fruit, and am feeling much better for it.  Am so looking forward to pasta on Sunday after my morning run. Mmmm...Pasta Sundays! 

Sep 20, 2009

I am glad to hear that you are behaving Twistingpath! Good job on keeping away from that scale! See what happens when you weigh, but not obsessively! You lost a pound, congratulations! I am curious to know, if you don't mind telling me (or us), how much did you weigh in January and how long did it take you to reach your goal weight? I think it is interesting that you gain weight if you run at night. I would like to know why? I'm not saying that you have the answer, but it would be an answer I would like to know.

Anyway....have you been running before C25K? The only reason I ask is because you are thinking about signing up for a 5k in October. There are some local runs that I could join in October, but I was not sure if I would be ready yet. I was just talking on an earlier post about repeating W1 because I was unsure about my endurance, but you have me thinking. I would really like to complete a 5k, but I don't want to push myself too hard too fast. That's really why I am asking about whether you participated in any other exercise before now. Good luck if you decide to run next month. I have a Shih Tzu so there is no way I will be running with my dog. Not unless want to add another 5lbs to my load because before the race is over, I will definitely be carrying her! LOL!

Veleka

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...