Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9815 Views 82 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2009 12:52 PM by Linda48170 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • twistingpath Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009

I don't mind at all.  I weighed 205 on January 1 and this morning weighed 156 even. I'm 5'8".  I chose to use hcg to get my weight off.  It works, but it takes dedication and belief and a willingness to read the true information about it (the internet is loaded with false).  I'm not advocating it for anyone as the answer because for many it is not, but it was for me and my sister and her husband, and four co-workers are now doing it. Tthe information is out there for those interested at www.happilythinnerafter.com. (hope that doesn't get me kicked off here).  I did it with my doctor's full approval, and he (and I) are thrilled with it, just thrilled. Now my mission is to firm up, and get strong, and RUN!  So I am here for that.  I now follow a pretty strict diet of good fats, fruits, and vegetables and lean meats., water and tea, and NO frankenfoods. I eat around 1800 calories a day

thereabouts though I don't count calories, preferring to go intuitive.

Oh I eat almonds too. And chocolate.  And bratwurst now and then (boyfriend is German, gotta have brats!).  And ice cream now and then. LOL.  Cannot live without ice cream! Blue Bell IS the best ice cream in the country! Gotta have it!  

I ate pizza last Thursday and gained three pounds! Talk about punishment! Should've had the pasta. LOL.  Ah well, it's a lifetime learning process.  Got one pound off so am happy.

And yes, new rule--can only weigh mornings I am going to run! That way I don't freak out the day after running when I know I will be up from pumping the body with fluids. 

Week 1 Day 2 went great!  I was jazzed to realize I wanted to walk a little faster, run a little faster this time. Woo! So I upped both a bit. It was a little hard to get going (I was whiny!) but once I got going, at about the third interval I found my pace (when I sped up!) and did real happily after that.  

oh and no on the running, but I'm an avid walker with  my huskies.    So I know I will mostly walk at first, but it will be fun to see how I do. 

Until Sunday, have a good weekend!

• AmandaJCD Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009

"Someday your uppance will come!!"

Yep.  Smacked me right in the chest today.  Yeouch, W2D1 was a bear.  That said, I did it -- yay yay yay!!!   I'd go high-fiving the world but I've just now got my heartrate down to a more normal level.

But I did it!!!

Just a few more minutes and I'll peel myself off this chair and get a shower.  Note to self:  invest in clothing with wicking properties.

Sep 20, 2009

Woo hoo go you! I have my last week one in a bit.  Recovery was so much better after this one. Am excited that my weight has dropped back below 155. The running? Probably not yet, but I think relaxing and just enjoying has helped.

• robrob1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2009

Hey All-Hope you don't mind me joining in this late but I started c25k 2 weeks ago and just found this message board.  Here's my story.  I'm a 45 year old female with Lupus.  A year and a half ago (The end of May) I went to the PC with a little shortness of breath.  He did a chest x-ray and said I needed to go immediatly to the ER.  Totally freaked out- I went and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.  During the 5 weeks I was hospitalized I came down with a terrible stomach infection and kidney failure.  I came home from the hospital with about 35lbs of extra fluid in me..  My belly was so big people were asking me when my baby  was due.   I continued dialysis for 5 more months and was finally was taken off and weighed  in at 118.  Great right?  Nice to be thin (I went in the hospital at about 135) but I was extremely weak, I am just now getting back to "normal" (is there such a thing lol) but after being so sick I want an obtainable goal and a friend told me about this site. So, I've done week 1 and will probably repeat it one more time.  I really have no endurance and think the slower I go the better.  I love to walk but this jogging stuff is hard.  I jogged my longest last night and thought I was going to keel over in a neighbors yard but thankfully I sucked it up.  Yeah!!  I hope posting my story and my goal to run a 5k will hold me  accountable.  I haven't told any friends or family about this new goal for fear I won't succeed.  I can't wait to say or scream ( "I ran a 5K today!" )

I've loved reading everyone's stories and am more motivated than ever. 

Untill my next walk/run,

Robin

Sep 20, 2009

You have been through the ringer, haven't you!  How is your heart doing?  My spouse had a great deal of heart trouble (aneurism) so I know alot about congestive heart failuremore than I want to, honestly.  I definitely would repeat the first week until you feel stronger, even if you have to do it more than two weeks, or threeuntil you are sure you are handling it well.  Just take it slownothing wrong with that!  Glad you are here!  <!Session data-->

Sep 20, 2009

Hey Mugsy! Hallo!

Woo you can do it! I am real excited to go ahead and move forward on Wednesday. I'm doing Wed/Fri/Sunday.    I felt really good and strong yesterday so decided week two was a go.  6 intervals, 90 sec/2 min. We can do it!

Just told my sister all about this!  

• Linda48170 Amateur 30 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009

Congratulations on your weight loss, twistingpath. I'm not at all familiar with hcg but sounds like it worked great for you.   You and your huskie are doing great with your walking and some running!

Apr 13, 2009

Robrob1...you've been through a lot. I admire your decision to run the 5K! You sound like the kind of person who will definitely do it.

Apr 13, 2009

Well...it's my 2nd week day 1...and I am  repeating Week One again.  I'm thinking I need to get comfortable with running the 60 sec firstor at least be able to run it wihout feeling like I'm dyingbefore moving on.......Also my husband is now officially doing this with me, and he only got to run once with me once last week.. So technically this is his first week. So anyway, I said all of the above to say...I'm doing week 1 again. 

So.........today I found it easier to run the 60 second intervals. Not real easy, but easier. 

I'm happy to have my husband join me, as I think he needs to be exercising.  Previously he would not even walk with me...but he seems to like the idea of running. He says he is just doing it to help me out. ha.

• Gregorykicks Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009

I'm with you linda I don't know if I'm pushing my run speed to fast, or if my cardiovascular system just plain sucks but I'm redoing week one.  I hit some hills on the "run" portions today and man it made it so much harder. 

I'm going to my local running store to see about some shoes... I'm going to have to give up something to buy them, but my feet tell me I need them.. badly.. My knee isn't too happy either.. I've been feeling pain in it for the first time in a long time.. I may have to start wearing my brace for runs, but it's so uncomfortable on the back of my knee and leg...  but I actually feel more energetic during the day and the weather is sooo perfect to run right now. I think we picked a good time to start.  I used Robert Ullrey's podcast today and I think it helped. easier than looking at a watch. 

Keep up the good work guys! I'm planning on a 5k on nov 21st so I best get a move on. 

Apr 13, 2009

Gregory, it's nice to know I'm not the only one repeating week 1.  

I do think it's crucial to invest in running shoes...and that podcast sounst interesting. I will check that out.

Actually having the goal of runnig in a 5K race sounds great too.  There is one in our area, in December, I think--called the Jingle Bell 5K.  hmmm. I haven't quite set that as goal yet...but maybe I will...when I get to the run 5, walk 5 week...maybe then I can see myself running in an actual race. 

• AmandaJCD Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009

Glad to see so many folks are still here (and what's up with this "currently being moderated" heading?  I've not seen that before -- is it standard or have we been bad in some way?)

Finished W2D2.  It was pretty much as ooky as W2D1, LOL.  There was improvement in that I knew I would make it through all 6 intervals this time, but that's about it.  In fact, I procrastinated so long that i didn't get started until nearly 7:30, and then I managed to get a lovely migraine (the vision issue is just now fading so at least I can see)...

So all in all?  NOT a banner day, LOL.  Oh well, at least I got it done

Sep 20, 2009

I don't think we're being moderated now? I didn't see anything...  Maybe it was temporary!

I really had to fight not to run tonight.  I'm doing Wed-Fri-Sun, but I was itchy to get on the treadmill tonight, real itchy.  Here's to tomorrow!  I can't wait--I am hoping I do well.

Apr 13, 2009

It's day 2  of my Week 1 repeat. I was happy to find that I could run the  60 sec interval more eaily this time around on this second day. My husband also ran and I was not happy to see that he can run faster than me, and literally run circles around me. How can that be when I've been the walker in the family and he  has been the real couch potato? hmmm.

Lin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...