Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2286 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2009 3:52 PM by Cuneiform RSS
Elara Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 21, 2009 1:07 PM

Newbie - Shin splints came with new shoes

I'm in the last week of the C25K program and up to the 3 mile mark.  I had been running in a pair of Merrell trail shoes that I had on hand when I started the program.  Last week I went to a local running store and they helped me decided on a pair of good running shoes.  They are the Asics Gel Kayano 15's and I love them.

Problem is after my first run in them and the last two as well, I'm getting shin splints on the inside of my calves.  They do seem to go away before the next run (every other day), but I'm concerned.  Is it more likely that this my new shoes not fitting properly, or just new muscles being used as I get used to how my new shoes fit?  How can I know? 

I'm planning on giving it through Saturday, which will be 2 weeks and 6 runs, if it doesn't quit by then I'll go back to the running store and see what they say. I have 21 days to decide on the shoes.

Thanks!

• EM88FR Amateur 21 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    1. Sep 21, 2009 2:45 PM (in response to Elara)
    Re: Newbie - Shin splints came with new shoes

Hi Elara. I'm not sure if this will help but I have to post given that I bought some Asics and I hated them because they tend not to be the shoe for me! I bought them because I've heard there supposed to be some of the best. I did have shin splints as well as the bottom of my feet falling asleep as if they were too tight only in certain places. However when I bought them the store gave me also 30 days to return but some how gave me a hassle and kept saying I had to break them in. I finally broke them in and I'm not sure if there GREAT! However the best piece of advice I can give you is to ice up afterwards and lay off while you're having pain b/c it will just get worse if you don't rest. I'm going for New Balance next time! Good luck and hope all is well.

Happy running.

michelle

• zuelz Rookie 4 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    2. Sep 24, 2009 8:37 PM (in response to Elara)

I used to get shin splints a lot when I used to play a lot of basketball.  A little icing trick I used is, to  fill a Dixie cup 3/4 full of water.  Then put in freezer, when frozen massage the ice on your shin splints.  If I were you I would  talk to the people at your local running store and explain the problem you are having with your new shoes.  I'm sure they would be very understanding and try and find a shoe that will work for you.  I hope everything works out for you.

- Mark

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    3. Sep 25, 2009 3:57 AM (in response to Elara)

sounds like posteria shin splints , if its not over use its flat feet /arch support, or your leaning too much,or your strike moved forward with light shoes. Dont run through the pain (stress fracture)... Ice always even after hot showers

• Eleanorv Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    5. Sep 25, 2009 6:58 PM (in response to Elara)

I just began running two weeks ago, and use asics sneakers as well. Have serious shin pain. Hmmm is it the shoe? I think my arches collapse a bit too though. Interested in the out come.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,324 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Sep 25, 2009 8:36 PM (in response to Eleanorv)

Read both articles here on shin splints to get a better handle on what is going on and what you can do about it.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml

Shinsplints are frequently an "overuse" injury: increased speed, increased mileage, increased frequency.  When I had problems with them they would only bother me in races or fast-paced training. On slower runs I would be fine.  Shoes with inadequate support or incorrect amount of motion-control might contribute, but are probably not the cause.  The trail shoes you were using likely had less support and motion-control than the Kayanos you are using now.

Len

Len

• CoRunner09 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    7. Sep 27, 2009 11:24 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaq that article is great. I currently have skin splintz but only on my left leg and it only recently started. Taking a break will be hard since I am now addicted to racing.

Thanks

Follow Me on Twitter http://bit.ly/HVBk | I use mp3 training to stay fit http://bit.ly/iTrain and Mapmyruns.com http://bit.ly/La8EJ to find a place to run!
  • Cuneiform Amateur 27 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    8. Sep 28, 2009 3:52 PM (in response to CoRunner09)

Motion control shoes gave me shin splints. I had Asics Gel 8's.  I tried several versions of the Asics, and the more control (and higher the price) the worse the shin splints got. Time to try another shoe!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...