Skip navigation

1799 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2009 12:25 PM by FLKaren
badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
Jan 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 23, 2009 3:14 PM

I need help......

I have a major dilemma here.

I'll give you the facts and am hoping for some miracle advice, otherwise I'm going to have to defer to next year.

The last long run I had was the 20 miler a month ago, and then a 5 miler (almost hit by the biker) on Sept 5th, and since then no long runs. A couple short run attempts between now and then. It's mainly because when I breath I feel like I can use 75% of my lung capacity, which then makes me winded, which makes me stop even before the end of the first mile...and as you can see, it's not a good situation for running.

So since I haven't been able to run for the last couple of weeks, I feel my endurance level dropping off, and I quite frankly dont know if I could even finish the marathon even if I wanted to.

This whole situation is making me feel demoralized, frustrated, and NOT enjoying running.

Does anyone have any miracle advice (either for my situation, or for my breathing)? What are your thoughts on whether it's a good idea to defer or do I just try and suck it up and run?  

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Sep 23, 2009 4:11 PM (in response to badgergrl)
    Re: I need help......

The breathing problem sounds strange.  Do you have asthma or allergies that might be causing problems?  (You should be "belly breathing" - are you?)  In any event you face the dilemma of trying to get a couple good runs in before Sept. 30, and deciding from those whether you'll be OK for the marathon.  You've missed most of three weeks, which means some lost conditioning.  But you still could do it if you get your running groove back.  If you decide to go for it, you could do a long run on Oct. 4, and about 12 - 14 the following weekend.

And if you can't get your groove back, then by all means, defer.  It's not worth beating yourself up over it.  There will be other marathons.  And a lot of folks to cheer for at this one.

Good luck.  Len

Len

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 23, 2009 7:23 PM (in response to badgergrl)

Shell, hon, I'm totally there with you, except mine is all my fault, LOL! Seriously, this summer was AWFUL weather on the east coast, as you well know, and mold, pollen, spores galores, and all sorts of happy ragweed horseshit are at record highs. If you've ever had anything even REMOTELY resembling allergies or asthma, I'm sure you're feeling it now. Lord knows I am. It seriously feels like breathing through a wet sponge, no?

Like you, I've got (basically) one more long run to decide, since I won't get my 20 in before the 30th. And, like you, I'm freaking out about it. You're probably in far better shape than I am. I'm not worried about YOU in the least, if that helps your morale any.

Let's make a pact to have a HAPPY run this weekend, shall we? No matter what? There's nothing more awful than beating yourself up about a run while you're still running it.

On Saturday I ran a completely FANTASTIC 4 miles along Lake Michigan with my dad, up to the campus of Northwestern and back from the monastery where my sister lives. It was fast, flat, and awesome. (Ok, so "fast" is relative. They were 10-minute miles.) I felt restored and like I could totally do this.

And then I thought about the other 22 miles.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    4. Sep 24, 2009 6:24 AM (in response to badgergrl)

Good luck with the breathing, the doc and the dam insurance.  I've seen more docs in the past 2 months than I've seen in a long time. I'm hoping it gets better in time. 

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Sep 24, 2009 6:31 AM (in response to badgergrl)

Oh no, Shell!  Sorry to hear you aren't doing well.  I think you're smart to see the doc to get your lungs checked out.  It could also be the meds.  As far as conditioning, I don't think you've lost much at all.  Hope your long run goes well, so you can join us.  Do take good care of yourself and make the best decision for you. 

Sending you healing vibes.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    6. Sep 24, 2009 6:56 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

I know that it is easier said than done, but don't fret over it too much.  You will figure it all out and we will see you out there.

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Sep 24, 2009 6:58 AM (in response to badgergrl)

Meds - I didn't think of meds!  Some antibiotics, cholesterol lowering drugs (statins), some blood pressure meds, I've had problems with some antihistamines, even the non-drowsy kind.  Hope you figure it out.

Len

• Andrew... Legend 273 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    8. Sep 24, 2009 12:53 PM (in response to badgergrl)

Shell,

Sorry - it sounds like life is getting into the way of running.  Make sure you are taking care of Shell FIRST. Let alone from any medical issues, I know when I don't get enough sleep or eat crapily, my runs suffer.  I also can worry-myself into a bad run (or bad weeks of running).   

Google side effects for the Med, and see if any of the side effects relate to what you're seeing/feeling. Also google the diagnosis and marthoning - see if any others have the same thing and have/had experienced what you did. Not a substitute for talking to a real doctor, but may give clues as to what's happening.

Just some thoughts.

• Camille 77653 Amateur 26 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    9. Sep 24, 2009 1:56 PM (in response to badgergrl)

get your blood count checked - my hemoglobin dropped a few years ago and it felt like someone was sitting on my chest when I started to run......everything else felt fine -

• Bodacious Pro 653 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    10. Sep 24, 2009 4:02 PM (in response to badgergrl)

I hope you get it all figured out.

I just found out on Monday after running for 3 years that I have exercise induced asthma.

During many runs I would have this funky little dry cough but on Saturday during my hellious 10K my cough was almost constant and my heart rate averaged a 173 which was too high for my pace, ifigured the heat and humidity probably brought on some extra heart load work, but I was concerned enough to take myself to the clinic to get checked out, I feared something was way off heart or lung function wise.

I had never heard of exercise induced asthma and would never have guessed I had asthma, I associated asthma with wheezing and I had none of that. I used the inhaler they gave me before my run on Tuesday and it seemed to work wonders, just a couple of coughs and I just felt stronger.

Good luck

Dream Big Always :)

• FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    11. Sep 25, 2009 12:25 PM (in response to Bodacious)

Shell, two years ago, just before the 2007 MCM, we moved. The new house had never been lived in and had been closed up for about 2 years. There must have been construction dust or something hidden in the air ducts. My training up until then had been right on track. Then I started the dry cough that was constant. I went to the Dr. every week. Xrays, CT scans were all clear. After about 4 - 5 weeks, it went away. I never understood it. But, I didn't run the entire month of September. However, all my plans were in place to go to DC I went and ran and didn't seem to suffer from the illness or lack of training. (It was just that darn wall I hit at mile 22 that did me in!) 

I know you have to decide by 10/1 whether to defer but since you are younger than me and likely in better shape than I was, you could probably run the race and finish, assuming you feel better.

Dig deep, people, you can do it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...