Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

66419 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 36 Previous Next
  • SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Oct 13, 2009 2:44 PM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    Re: Uh Oh - this aching knee ain't good

PeeWee--- that is good advice---really,Really,REALLY good advice.

I have learned that lesson in the past

In previous forays into running programs-- I would start out too fast---day one run 1 lap.walk a 1/2 lap-run a lap--maybe do 2 miles like that--day 2 run 2 laps-walk 1/2 lap ... day 3 run 3 laps-walk 1/2 lap- and so on--- I would push myself along way too fast--and within 2-3 weeks I WOULD be slogging through  almost 3 miles---one winter I ran indoors almost the whole winter on an indoor track like that---but usually after a few weeks---- I would have some kind of injury like you have now--and i would be out of it.

that's why i like the C25K plan---in stretches building a base out over 8-9 weeks--which is about triple what i have done before

now-- I gotta point out----- the C25K plan isn't a perfect fit for me in that  I am not really starting out as a true couch potato.-- i am a roofer/carpenter by trade-- my  daily work---is considerably more strenuous than most peoples----- up and down 28 ft. ladders dozens of times a day--usually carrying about 100#'s at a time.-After EVERY full work day I am stiff,sore-really feel beat up--been that way for 20 plus years

but my season is winding down--work much slower this year anyhow-------so i am well rested.- tell you the truth--- i haven't been the least bit stiff or sore  from running since starting the C25K program----but from the very beginning I could see week 3-,week4,week 5 would be interesting-- because those were closer to what I was USED to starting out at

that's why I have been really interested to get to week 3--because the week 3 work out  is quite  close to what I formerly started D1 of previous programs.

I DO appreciate your advice--- I think it is absolutely spot on.---- on the other hand---taking it slow-- is relative to the people involved------ what is slow for me- might be to fast for someone else----and a total waste of time for yet another person.

i must admidt--- I am really impressed with the enthusiasm and support the particiapants in this thread show for one another

Hey-- besides the ICE- try taking 2 ALEVE tablets-- I couldn't roof at age 47 without them!

Best wishes,

stephen

• NewMom954 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009
    136. Oct 14, 2009 10:10 AM (in response to deniden)
    Re: finished Week 2!
    I just purchased my shoes this past weekend at a running store here in south Florida.  The woman used the very last lacing option on that page.  It creates a tight tie and helps stabilize the ankle and prevent rubbing on the back of the foot.  It worked great for me! I think it was the lock lace.
  • lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009
    137. Oct 14, 2009 12:20 PM (in response to NewMom954)
    Week 3 day 1 completed!

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

• ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    138. Oct 14, 2009 12:51 PM (in response to lauraw721)
    W2D1 for me today - not easy at all! I stopped 20 seconds short on the 5th interval, but managed to make it through the last interval. My legs were feeling really heavy and tired during the 90 second runs, I hope day 2 goes better for me... although I'll be working out after a 12 hr shift at the hospital!

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    139. Oct 14, 2009 2:30 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Thank you all :)
    The knee is much better.  Yesterday was my rest day and I added today as a second rest day.  I popped my favorite vitamin 'I' and have been stretching out the knee.  I'm going to attempt to do a bit of running tomorrow to check out the situation.  At least I can now say that I know the difference between pain to just run thru and pain to stop immediately.  I think I'm okay with this taking longer than the program has scheduled.  We shall see
  • disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    140. Oct 14, 2009 5:27 PM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    week 3 day 2 in the books! light up the halo!!

I finished wk 3 day 2 and it feels great!  It's not easy.  Last night I did a fast paced 7 mile walk with my hiking club so I could feel it in my thighs today.  But after warming up I was able to complete wk3day2  with a decent pace.  Light up the halo for my awesome California Angels baseball team.  They have heart, determination and belief.  Keep with it one step at a time everyone.

Pee Wee.. glad your knee is somewhat better.    I hope your able to ease back into the routine.

I couldn't post yesterday as the reply button took the day off again...

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

Oct 3, 2009
    141. Oct 15, 2009 9:39 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: week 3 day 2 in the books! light up the halo!!

I completed the W2D3 outing today-----and I am incredibly proud of myself.

Like you, I think- I have been cheating just a bit-- going a bit beyond the scheduled workouts--- I usually do four sets OUT and then 4 sets Back

this morning  after the 5 minute walk-- i did (90r,120w) (,90r,90w) (120R,90W (120R90W) (120R,90W) (120R,90W) (120R,90W) (120R90w) and then-what I am really jazzed about (180r and then about 180 w back to my  vehicle)

really happy with myself---- because if I did the math right I ran 16 minutes and walked 14 minutes- which means I am running further and longer than I am walking and finally on the  proper side of the run/walk divide!!!!!

YEA  ME!

plus-- I did it in temps of low 40's and steady rain---which turned out to be FANTASTIC--after the first set-- I didn't even notice the rain untill I got back to my vehicle.

the whole process was some much freaking fun- I feel like a kid with a brand new toy--" can I do this?--- yes- how about THIS- sure-what about this?" and so on

i was never gasping for air--- but the respiration was definitely increased-------at NO time did I feel  that i NEEDED to stop--and after walking for 50-55 seconds I felt ready to run-and after 90 seconds EAGER to run.- Even after the 180 second run--- my respiration was up--but comfortable and I was tempted to run farther------- but I am pleased at my self controll which didn't permit myself to run further.

so-- how did i feel afterwards?-- well no aches or pains--- but actually my rear and upper legs definitely felt like I had worked them---and my lungs felt a bit different----but neither were unpleasant sensations.--- a shower and a little self congratualtion protien treat and then I went out to run some business errands---now at lunch time I feel like I could do it again--but I won't

i am sorry for writing so much---and I would like to apologise if this posts sounds to self congratulatory. I understand that some of the people in this  group have struggled the first few weeks here--- but they have been making real progress!-------- I haven't felt like I have been making really any forward progress untill today

tommorrow is a weight lifting day and then I will do the W3D1 workout EXACTLY as outlined either Saturday or Sunday. I will have to do it a bit earlier on Saturday because my wife and I are driving to Oberlin ,Ohio to see my son  run one of his last cross country races in college( he is a senior)

I am really really pumped up to start W3

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    142. Oct 15, 2009 9:48 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

I finished Week 2 on Tues and move on to W3D1 this evening. The only speed bump is that my calves are started to get really tight and sore, even 2 days after my last run. Does anyone have any calf stretches that work well for them?

Thanks for the help,

Shell

• deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    143. Oct 15, 2009 9:50 AM (in response to lauraw721)
    completed W3D1!

I finished W3D1 last night! I didn't think I'd be able to do it because my lower back and thigh muscles had been killin me... but I did it and they actually felt much more loose afterwards. I was kind of huffing and puffing during the 2nd 3min run, but other than that - loved it!

Am I nuts for already looking up 5Ks in November in my area? LOL

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

Oct 3, 2009
    144. Oct 15, 2009 10:25 AM (in response to deniden)
    Re: completed W3D1!

I don't think you are nuts at all.

thanksgiving looks like it will be W8D3 for me--and then the saturday after that is W9D1---- so I am looking at  working out at the 5K level through december--and then running my first official 5K race in about 8 years on New Years Eve

I figure New Years Eve-- no one will take it seriously---half the runners will be in costumes-the other half will be drunk---so there is no way I can come in LAST---?----- so it would be a fun,low stress outing-- plus it would be cool to  possibly PR.- my last race was in 2001, I finished #305 out of 361 runners with a time of  32:25---and missed an award as a clydsdale by 1 freaking place!

I am still bummed about it--- because my then 13 year old son WON the 19 and under category with a time of  20:38.  He was 34 over all

That was probably our only shot at Both of us winning an award in the same race.

as you might imagine- I am pretty proud of my son-- he now runs in college-- and trains at times that would have  WON that race over all.

I didn't really train for that race back in 2001---- but I intend to work pretty hard at it between now and New Years Eve and if by some miracle I can break 32 minutes as a 47 year old-new years eve drinks are on me!!!!!!!

BTW- I still have the race BIB---AND the results program they mailed us after the race-- I hope they are the first of a  HUGE collection of race Bibs i want to accumulate.

Very best wishes to you-- if you race in November-- please be sure to tell us all about it so we can live vicariously through your success!

stephen

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    145. Oct 15, 2009 10:47 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

Ran W3, D2 last night and completely loved it from beginning to end. My partner was struggling, and has requested a fourth day this week of running, which I don't have a problem with. I felt like I could stretch my stride last night; it was very pleasant.

And for the poster who asked about a November 5K -- I started the day before you did, and we're running on Thanksgiving morning! A 4 mile run (we thought it was a 5K, but it's a little longer). So we're right there with you! Go for it!

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    146. Oct 15, 2009 3:38 PM (in response to LibbyColorado)

Stephen,  You sound determined!   Be sure and tell us what bar you'll be at for our free drinks!!   Your son is going to love it that you are doing this~!   New Years Eve sounds like a fun time to plunge back into the racing world.  I'm going to be burning calories at the Turkey Trot Thanksgiving day for my first in a long time!      

Libby.. I am on week 3 with you.   I have one more wk 3 run tomorrow morning and then its on to week 4.

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009
    147. Oct 15, 2009 4:50 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Congrats week 3ers! Just got back from W3D2. So I had to google it before I posted because I thought I would sound stupid, but my jaw hurts after my run. Apparently I'm either clenching my teeth or it's from the cold. I feel like such a pansy . It's only 53 degrees. Anyway, yay everybody! Keep it up!

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

• PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    148. Oct 16, 2009 10:17 AM (in response to lauraw721)
    Gotta Love Those Endorphens!!!

It's amazing when the endorphens kick in, isn't it? 

Today was great.  The knee is feeling much better.  I ended up taking 3 days off from running but yesterday did a 7 mile hike with about 1000 feet elevation gain with no discomfort.  So today, I repeated the 4 min x 6 intervals for a total of 24 minutes.  I took it easy adding in plenty of walking time between intervals.  On the last interval, I felt a bit of pain in the left knee and stopped running immediately.  My total run time was 22 minutes. 

I'm going to repeat the 4 minute intervals again instead of moving up to the 5 minutes.  I'm in no rush any longer as the endorphins make me feel like a thin trim athletic machine, eh?  I guess that's what is called the runner's high 

Someone else mentioned stretching exercises.  I'm going to spend some time today looking for and practicing appropriate for running.  I'll let you know what I find.

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    149. Oct 16, 2009 10:35 AM (in response to deniden)

Hi Deniden,

I have chronic lower back problems and I've also found that the muscles feel better after I've run. Interesting, because back pain is the main thing that kept me from starting the program soon.Hope yours stays happy.

Shell

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...