Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

63106 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36 Previous Next
  • WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Oct 19, 2009 12:15 PM (in response to deniden)
    Re: completed W3D1!

Hi Deniden,

I have chronic lower back problems and I've also found that the muscles feel better after I've run. Interesting, because back pain is the main thing that kept me from starting the program sooner. Hope yours stays happy.

Shell

Oct 5, 2009
    151. Oct 16, 2009 10:40 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

W3D1 done! I thought it was going to suck a lot worse than it did. Definitely an effort, but doable. And, it made those 90 second runs seem like a break. Funny how the mind sees things sometimes.

Shell

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    152. Oct 16, 2009 11:17 AM (in response to WetSneakers)
    Just finished week 3!!

I just finished week 3 day 3.. so on Monday it will be on to week 4.   I work at Disneyland all weekend so don't run on weekends but I do get lots of walking in!!  It went well.. I thought of all of you because I was running in 85 degree weather with my sunglasses on.   When I hit a shady part of the run it sure felt good.  Stephen I could use a little bit of your drizzle!!    I do the sequences for 30 minutes... the lake I run around is one mile around.  Usually I've been covering about 2 1/4 of the path..then turning around and going back to my car.   Today I just kept going the full 3 miles to get an idea of how long it will take me to do a 5k... it was 39 minutes even today.   I am curious to see how much if any time I take off of that in the next 6 weeks before my 5k...   I would hope i will take off time because I'll be running more.   My very last 3 minute run sequence I did 5 minutes to see what next week will be like..  it was a lot more tiring for sure!   But I'm ready for the challenge.

Stephen I enjoyed your report about your workout and how your doing.  You should be proud!

I think it is important not to compare ourselves to other people.  We are all different shapes, sizes and experience levels.  That is the great thing about this sport... we are all winners by improving our individual fitness and making our own progress.  It is all so good!!   I'm so happy for everyone here that WE are doing this.   Keep at it and please keep sharing.  You all motivate me so much!!

PS... because it is so warm I was tempted to stop and get a Wendys chocolate frosty on my way home!   BUT I need to lose 40 lbs and I made the right choice to settle for a diet coke at home!  I'm so glad I passed on the temptation.   I worked too hard to just put the calories burned right back in.   I have managed to lose 5 lbs since starting this by making better food choices.  Now I need to stay away from the vending machines at work tonight!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    153. Oct 16, 2009 3:48 PM (in response to Tika417)

Hello I did w2d2 today. I had to skip it yesterday, with an dentist appointment and fillings I wasn't in the mood to do anything,. Today seem much easier on my legs.

My shins didnt hurt till the vedry end. Maybe my legs are getting use to it.

Also stephen thanks for posting the shoe lace website. I have tried a new lace and a new way to tie my shoe and it really has helped. Not only with heal pain but support on my whole foot.

Keep up the good work. Today as I was almost done, two runs to go. I was not into it, but I thought of all of you who are in this with me and it kept me going, Thanks

D

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    154. Oct 17, 2009 4:03 AM (in response to drinkup)

Drinkup,

this web site is an amazing resource------

i found the shoe lace tieing link while exploring other sections of this web site.

I ALSO found a couple stretches and an exercise that might help with your heel pain

If you go into the "med Tent" section-- a lot of good stuff there.

I have had Plantar Faeceitis(sic) in the past---and am anxious NOT to repeat the experience. the stretched DO help---and you can do them in BED before you get up in the morning and even while watching TV

gonna do W3D1 in a few minutes--and let every one know how it goes

Best wishes,

stephen

Oct 3, 2009

Well folks-- I did the W3D1 run this morning-- no problems

I would like to say that I did it exactly as outlined--- but just between us-- I may have slipped in a few extra 3 minute repeats

a little disappointed in that----as I have started running programs in the past-and did too much too early-and ended up getting hurt--- but I am impatient to get ON with it.

I was actually thinking this morning while I was walking my dogs---that I have goals to reach-and logically the only things that can prevent me from accomplishing the goals--would be injuries--and so I should just stick to the work outs as outlined-----and then I go and run the extra repeats---- but so far- no ill effects.

i run on a tow path--and I switched the stretch of tow path I am running on to an area with consistently better "knee friendly" surface.

most of week 1 and 2  I ran on an area with a mix of asphalt,crushed stone, STEEL  plate and believe it or not a floating boardwalk which goes across a lake---- this part of the towpath goes through an industrial/post industrial area---and I made sure that the asphalt stretches I run in the grass beside the towpath---- but I notice I like  the crushed stone the best--so i switched to an area i can run excluisively on crushed stone. I really haven't run more than a few steps on pavement since I started the C25K program.

also working diligently on some heel stretches--and I think i might start icing down my heels after runs---- I am not currently having any  heel problems--- but better safe than sorry- i have had heel problems in the past--and 20 plus years of roofing means I don't have the knees(or anytrhing else) of a 19 year old.

temp. 40 degrees exactly- spectacular fall color- no rain but over cast--with glimpses of sun through the clouds-- sort of like some Baroque Era paintings- if you know what I mean.

my wife and I took one of our Labs to my sons' college XC meet--a great outing for everybody---- team ran well  but a little melancholy for us- my son only has one last college race of his career. We are also looking forward to the start of the high school post season next weekend-we are pretty dedicated High school XC fans. "our" girls team is ranked #1 and the boys are #4 in the state Plus our neighbors son looks set to qualify for stae as an individual.

best wishes to all---and talk to you after W3D2!

stephen

• lorilb Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 17, 2009
    156. Oct 17, 2009 6:45 PM (in response to Tika417)

Hello!

Can I join you all?  I just completed w3d3 of the C25K and I'm looking for a place to check in.  I do most of my run/walks on a treadmill at home and on the weekends that my kids stay with their dad I run outside.  I live in SD and just made my firt puchase for outdoor running in cold weather gear.     I plan to run on Monday, Wednesday and Saturdays and on Fridays and Sundays I will cross train with the Firm or Chalean Extreme.

How are you all doing on your progress?  Looking ahead, w5d3 scares me.  LOL!  I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Oct 5, 2009
    157. Oct 17, 2009 6:20 PM (in response to Tika417)
    W3D2 complete

Hey all,

I just finished W3D2. I just missed the torrential downpour that left my my running route flooded. I think I need to invest in some non-cotton socks.Something that won't hold all the water during rainy season. It wasn't my best run ever, but I finished it. Felt a lot more tired and winded by the end.

• LB82 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    158. Oct 18, 2009 7:48 AM (in response to WetSneakers)
    Re: W3D2 complete
    I also just finished W3D2, and am exhausted!  I lapsed since my last run, due to an out-of-town trip w/cold and rainy weather, and went a week without running.  And today I felt every single day that I skipped.  I hope that W3D3 goes better!  With no planned trips for the next month, I should be able to get back on schedule.  Happily, however, I went apple picking yesterday, so have lots of healthy snacks around the house.  : )
  • deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    159. Oct 18, 2009 8:03 AM (in response to LB82)
    Re: W3D2 complete
    I finished my W3D2 on Friday, today is my W3D3... kind of excited.

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    160. Oct 18, 2009 8:15 AM (in response to lorilb)

Welcome to the group, lorilb!

I finished w3d2 on Friday.  Will be doing day 3 today, I think.  My knee is starting to give me some pain, so I took the day off yesterday.

I'm happy to see that everyone is keeping up the schedule as much as possible, and it sounds like we're all starting to make some breakthroughs in stamina and ability.  Week 4 looks pretty tough, but I'm still looking forward to it.  I'm starting to actually develop some calf muscles, and my weight training is also helping a lot.

I really noticed how tired I was last night with no exercise.  This program gives me a good boost of energy that lasts all evening, and when I don't do it, I feel it.

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

• ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008

Hey everyone and Welcome to lorib!

I had to take some days off these week because I've been sick with a bad cold that's been working it's way through the hospital! I was nervous at first that it might be h1n1 - we have a few patients on my floor with the swine flu - very scary!! Thankfully I didn't get too sick, but I wasn't able to run on Friday or Saturday as I had planned. I completed w2d2 today, and although I'm still feeling pretty bad, I wanted to do the run so I don't fall even further behind. It sounds like all the week 3 people are doing really well! I can definitely tell my body sometimes needs 2 days off instead of just one. I didn't have to stop short on any of the running intervals today, which made me feel really good. I was worried because of my chest cold that I might not be able to breathe as well and would have to stop short again - but thankfully I made it through all 6 runs! I feel more energized now, better than I've felt in the last 2 days. I'm hopeful that the run will boost my immune system to beat back this nasty cold too! I'll be running day 3 on Wednesday, as I have 2 double shifts coming up on Monday and Tuesday at work - definitely no running after a 16 hr shift!

Keep up the great work - I'm hopeful that I can handle week 3 at the end of this week- it looks scary but I know I'll make it!

It's snowing here today in Massachusetts - I'm very thankful to have a gym at my condo complex because running outside would never happen for me in this weather! Go Patriots

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!!

Christina

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    162. Oct 18, 2009 2:05 PM (in response to Tika417)

Hi. Just finish w2d3, On to w3 on tuesday.The running is becoming easier, but I have a long ways to go. I really had no energy today, I think its from the cloudy cold weather.

Im looking forward to w3. Keep up the good work!

D

Oct 3, 2009
    163. Oct 19, 2009 4:46 AM (in response to drinkup)

walking the dogs this morning--- temp about 30 degrees--- good covering of frost.

not a cloud in the sky----and the stars are so bright! My block is kind of funny shaped so when I walk out of my house and look up in one direction- i see a constellation-maybe "the hunter?"--anyhow-- the block is funny shapped and so when I turn around and walk in the opposite direction---after a slight curve----THERe is the same constellation----it seems to lead me all around the block.

air is so fry and crisp- the leaves so crunchy---- I was thinking what a GREAT day it would be for a run-----but today is a lifting day( already done0---and  in a few minutes i am going to go climb up on a customers frost covered roof and install a new skylight---let's call that cross training.

tommorrow I finish up W3--it is also going to be great weather- maybe warmer as well.

those of you IN or FINISHING W4 must be so excited-- you are almost halfway to our goal of running 5K-- I hope you all have good runs today

best wishes,

stephen

Oct 5, 2009
    164. Oct 19, 2009 12:20 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Something strange is happening

I had to do a quick trip out of town and it means that I have my first two day gap in between runs. I'm actually disappointed that I couldn't run today. What's happening to me? Home tonight and running W3D3 tomorrow.

Shell

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...