Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

65577 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 36 Previous Next
  • LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Oct 21, 2009 9:53 PM (in response to lauraw721)
    Re: Finished W3
    We made it through W4D2...I even ended up sprinting the last thirty seconds or so. And it was a little over 2 miles! Not bad, not bad...all in the gym around the track (thanks, Colorado snow), and D3 is this Friday. Hope everyone is doing well! Keep going!

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    181. Oct 22, 2009 8:00 AM (in response to LibbyColorado)
    Re: Finished W3

Well folks,

I wasn't feeling so well when I got up today.

Tuesday was W3D2---and it went great- basically I ran it as 6@ 3 minute x 1 minute repeats which was great!

but wendsday should have been a weight lifting and recovery day--- i did the weight lifting---- but the recovery- not so much---a variety of things interefered-and ,well basically I ended up walking about 6 miles---with a lot of stairs and hills thrown in for good measure!

Plus- today when I got up--  I had a personal home repair to face- which I am not looking forward to and have been avoiding for some time----and there are a few "business opportunities" about which I am less than enthusiastic

so--all in all I was a bit "mopy".

BUT- I have noticed that I always get a personal attitude lift on the running days- I might be a bit tired--- but I always feel immensley positive like  I have really accomplished something after a run-and through out the day.

I thought about waiting untill Friday to finish W3-----which would mean i did W3D3 on 2 days rest---- but I made an executive decision and decided I need the mental lift more than the rest.

I went to a different section of the Towpath this morning---did the 5 minute warm up walk---jogged 90 seconds and then walked 90 seconds--and then  did my repeats

I ended up doing 7  repeats-- the last one was a 5 minute repeat( I wanted to try THAT out.

the last 2 3minute repeats and the 5 minute repeats were up hill--which required some focus- but were not as much as a struggle as I thought they might be when I got up this morning.

Temp was about 50 degrees and overcast----- although it is full sunshine now---- on one of the uphill repeats---a deer was standing in the towpath giving me the stink eye,untill she moseyed into the brush--which was cool for a city boy like me.

finished the work out feeling pretty good.- decided to avoid the home repair untill tommorrow--and have a few ideas on how to put "lipstick on these pigs"---( the "business opportunities")

felt great after a hot shower-and I am icing down both knees as I type this---- just as a precaution--- no actual need- but better safe than sorry.

I still haven't really run on pavement yet.

stephen

• redhoney Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    182. Oct 22, 2009 9:22 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?
    I started a couple of weeks ago and to be honest, it took me about 2 weeks to get through the first week because of just being inconsistent. Now I am on week two and will be doing the second day of week 2 today. Before I started this program, I couldn't even run a few feet without being completely winded, now I am running more and more without it being much of a trouble at all. This is a great program and I would love to stay in touch with others that are running with this same program. I am going to be signing up for a 5k in January. Wish me luck!!
  • disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    183. Oct 22, 2009 3:48 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Week 4 Day 2 Completed!!

Just got back from week 4 day 2 run.   Stephen I know what you mean about the mental lift..  my whole mood is elevated when I complete one of these workouts!  I can't wait to get out there and do the next one and progress.    Then real life intrudes... LOL.   By the time it is time for my next run its a bit hard to get myself out there...  There is always a reason I don't quite feel up to it.  But I know I both need and want to do this.  Todays run wasn't too difficult except for there is some soreness.  I am pretty active between these runs.

It is great to see everyone in the group advancing from one workout to the next.  Congratulations to everyone who has done their  C25K workouts this week!   We are going to get there!   We will be chasing Turkeys on Thanksgiving day very soon!  (or whatever your goals are!)

Keep sharing everyone.. you are inspiring!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    184. Oct 22, 2009 3:18 PM (in response to Tika417)

Hi.

I did w3d2 and it was much easier then d1. I still can't see myself doing w4, its looks like so much. But we've all have come a good ways from w1.

I guess I just want to point out to anyone reading this and thinking of starting, it does work, Im not saying its easy

But it will get you there.. Goodluck

D

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    185. Oct 23, 2009 8:02 AM (in response to drinkup)

Hey Drink Up,

I know what you mean about having a hard time believing you're going to be able to do the next step. I did W4D1 last night and I'm still amazed. It was hard, but really no hard than the first day of the other weeks. It's starting to turn into a faith in myself sort of thing for me. I know that I was able to advance in the previous weeks, so I have faith that the same thing will continue. I believe that I can do it, do my best to turn on the voices in my head that tell me how comfortable it would be to stop, and just keep going.

Shell

• ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008

W3D1 today, I had a really hard time with it. I couldn't complete either of the 3 minute runs, I'm really disappointed in myself. I will try again on Sunday though. My legs were hurting but the biggest problem continues to be my breathing - I just don't have the stamina to keep up, despite my trusty inhaler (which I don't think even helps!!). Any advice? I'm still congested and struggling with bronchitis and the flu, so I'm hoping as I get better, my stamina will improve. I really don't want to repeat week 2, as I'm already so much further behind where I should be by now.

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • LB82 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009

I just finished W4D1.  Definitely paced myself too fast in the first half, and had a hard time with the last 5 min run, but wow!  We actually are running 16 minutes each day this week!  It's a big difference from last (almost twice as much), but it really feels like an accomplishment.  4 weeks ago, I hadn't run in several years, and now I'm up to 16 minutes.  It's so exciting (even when it's grueling)!

Christina...I also got sick around the end of W2, beginning of W3.  I ended up just having to take a week off to get completely better.  It was getting to the point that I was stressed out mentally and discouraged by how badly the program was going, and my body was so stressed physically that I couldn't quite shake the sickness.  Now, I feel like that week was totally worth it and feel so much more positive about doing the program, even on the hard days like today.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    188. Oct 24, 2009 6:49 AM (in response to LB82)

W4D1 today

it was fantastic!

I mentioned earlier when we all started on this adventure-- that in my past  attempts at starting running programs--- I generally did too much too soon-- and I vowed to do things differently this time

well W3- I could feel my previous bad habits creeping up on me- I did W3 as a series of 6 3x1 minute  run/walk repeats.

after tuesdays and thursdays runs- my legfs were feeling a little dead---- but I got some good recovery in on friday--and I did todays W4D1 quite close to the specified intervals--- I did a 5 minute warm up walk-and I like to do a 90 second run and a 90 second walk to start off with- that initial 90 second run reminds me of the pace i want to work at-and settles me down.

I am quite proud of myself- because after that point I did the listed workout exactly as  outined, with the sole exception that I ran 5 minutes 30 seconds for the last 5 minute interval( I goaded myself into reaching a specific landmark.

really feel good after-- it's exciting to still have gas in the tank-- but all the same I am looking forward to 2 consecutive recovery days v before Tuesday and W4D2

I must say-- those of you slightly ahead of me- are relal motivators  and I am  very excited and looking forward to here about your experiences in W5's 20 minute run-- that 20 minute run seems to be where we become "runners' instead of walkers

Best wishes ALL

Stephen

Sep 30, 2009

Christina,  You are NOT behind.  There is no deadline to finishing this.  The fact that you are out there doing what ever work out you can is great!  Especially with asthma.  You are inspiring.  If your battling the flu  you really may need to take some extra days off to let yourself heal.   Even if you didn't complete the 3 minute runs you did do some running and your one work out closer to doing more.  I am battling a bit of a cold myself.

Yesterday I went on a 7 mile hike with my hiking group.  It started at 10 am and finished around noon.   I was keeping a fast walking pace but the hike ended with a mile and a half fairly steep  uphill climb.  Although hills are challenging normally  I just take my time and waddle up them.   Well unfortunately yesterday on that mile and half incline I started feeling sick.  Something that hasn't happened to me before in the last 4 months I've been hiking.   I've been doing a lot of exercise and dieting as well.  It was getting HOT (80's)  and climbing up that hill was complete sun exposure.  I think that I didn't have enough fuel in me from my run the morning before and an evening hike the night before.   A simple case of over do!!    It was awful.. I was looking at that "mountain" that just kept going up, up and up.  I had to get up there to get back to my car.  Fortunately I did make it up without tossing any cookies.  I spent the rest of the day resting and rehydrating.  I know it all ties in to losing 8 lbs in the last few weeks and the running and hiking.   So anyway this is all a learning experience and listening to our bodies.

Stephen congrats on doing so well on week 4..  Yes I am really looking forward to accomplishing that 20 minute run.  I'm sure I can do it..but am hoping I can do it at a steady pace.

Have a great day all,

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009

We just finished week 4! It happened!

We ran on a trail instead of our usual streets, and while my legs didn't hurt AT ALL (a first), my breathing was labored because of the hills. But we made it. I pushed it the last minute, and though I wanted to weep openly, I made it all the way.

It was also our first time running during the day outside...the sun is definitely a factor! Glad I wore a hat.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    Last night I finished W4D2.  It was more of a challenge than day 1.  I stopped for a second during the second 3 minute run, but I took a couple of deep breaths and started back again.  It is such a mental challenge.  I really appreciate the communication of others on the blog who are ahead of me on this journey.  I am a bit nervous about week 5, but I am encouraged that I seem to be ready each week for the next challenge.  I can't believe that I am actually running 16 minutes during these runs.

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

Sep 30, 2009
    192. Oct 24, 2009 3:02 PM (in response to k9178)

Good job K9~   I just got back from my WK4 Day 3 run.  I felt a bit nervous about it as its another hot day and I'm out in the middle of the afternoon.  Only time I could fit it in.  I was thinking the same thing as I was running ... it is a mental battle!   I try not to let myself even think about stopping.   I think ahead to how much better I'm going to be endurance wise in 5 more weeks if I just complete these homework assignments.   The thing that really got me out there today is wanting to be able to start WK 5 on Monday.  Soon I will be at the half way point!   Wow!    Keep on going group!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009

Disneygal,

Congratulations on finishing week 4.  That is so awesome!  I am with you on building the endurance.  I am so proud that I can actually do things more than I did in the past.  I just worked out with my trainer, and I can believe how much more stamina I have.  It is due very much to the running program.  I am just excited to think that I will be so much more fit going into ski season this year.  I can't wait to ski without the constant huffing and puffing that I normally have.  Just think, we are getting stronger every day!

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    194. Oct 24, 2009 6:55 PM (in response to Tika417)

Hello,

I am interested in joining this thread. I was participating in an older thread but those folks are way ahead of me now.

I started Couch 25k the last week in August. I have been following the program but asthma kept me from progressing. I am following my asthma doctor's suggestions and I am now able to obey the lady on my C25k phone app for Week Three. I'm so happy.

I think I made two important changes. 1) I remembered to use my inhaler 1/2 hour before my run and 2) I slowed down tremendously.

In the past I was using my inhaler only five minutes before running or not remembering to use it until five minutes after my run. I read on a message in a running thread a new runner ought to run much slower if they are having difficulty with endurance. The author of the message wrote that it would be good to run so slow that you might be ashamed if anyone say you running so slowly. I wish I could find that message and thank that person for that helpful advice.

My daughter who is five rode her bike with training wheels while I ran on Friday. I ran very slowly so she could keep up with me. And I had no problem with the run for the first time. I am elated. I had been stuck on week 3 for about three weeks. I'm going to run Week 3 Day 3 on Monday and then I will move up to Week 4.

I'm looking forward to a Turkey Trok 5K on Thanksgiving Day. My boys 9 and 7 are going to run with me. Fun!

~Karen

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...