Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

67530 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula Go to original post 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36 Previous Next
  • k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009

Karen,

I have asthma as well, and I notice the difference in a big way if I don't take my inhaler before setting out.  I also feel the running much more strongly in my lungs.  I think my legs would keep running even more if my lungs would only keep up.  I am also not worrying about speed.  I am pacing myself to go as slow as possible, and to concentrate on proper breathing.  Keep hanging in there.  We are in this together, and we will get there.

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• LB82 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    196. Oct 25, 2009 10:54 AM (in response to k9178)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?
    Just finished W4D2...I paced myself better (ie: slowed down) this time, and was definitely feeling better by the end of the run, although still struggled for the last minute.  I have a lot more energy after my workouts this week, but maybe that's just the endorphins?  At first, I was exhausted and completely worn out, but am starting to get energized by these longer/harder runs. 
  • ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    197. Oct 25, 2009 10:55 AM (in response to k9178)

W3D2 today, went somewhat better than day 1. I made it through the 3 minute intervals - but I was definitely gasping for air and my legs were killing me at the end of the 3 minute runs. I noticed some knee / ankle pain at the start of the 90 second run today, it did seem to settle down as I continued the workout. I did wear a knee support today on my left knee because this morning when I was stretching before the workout, I felt a lot of discomfort/weakness in my knee. I'm thinking I will need to add a day 4 to week 3, as I am still struggling to make it through the 3 minute runs. My breathing is improving a little as I'm starting to get better from the flu and bronchitis, but I know the biggest hurdle with my breathing is caused by being out of shape for so long and being overweight.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement - it really did help. I'm still feeling a little down as I continue to struggle with the increasing intervals of running. I know that success will come with hard work and a positive attitude! Enjoy your Sunday everyone. I'm relaxing now and watching my Patriots

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    198. Oct 25, 2009 1:06 PM (in response to Tika417)

HI. I just did w3d3 outside. Usually I run on my treadmill but it is so nice out. It seem to be ok. Im so nervous about w4d1. I know the first day, Im going to be thinking, wow I hate running, I dont want to do this., but by day 2 it seems easier.  So I just have to get pass that first day. I hope everyone is doing good! Keep up the great work!

D

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    199. Oct 25, 2009 9:17 PM (in response to k9178)

Thanks for your support Kendra. I really appreciate it.

Today I went for a 1/2 hour brisk walk and I ran for two minutes at the end. I was aiming for three minutes but forgot to use my inhaler beforehand. It was a REST day anyway as far as training goes.

Tomorrow I MUST remember to use my inhaler. I'd like to do Week 3 Day 3 again and then move on to Week 4 Day One on Wednesday.

Fingers crossed.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• redhoney Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009

Hi Karen,

Welcome. I am new to this thread as well. I am also new to running and to the Couch to 5k. I love this post because everybody hear is so motivating. I must admit that I get a little worried and nervous when I listen ahead to the different weeks (I know, I know...I shouldn't look ahead, but I can't help it) and then I read a post about somebody here who has done it and that it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be (or it was, but they still made it through) and I know that I can do it it. I just completed Week 2 and I was thinking tonight on my run that there is no way that I can run for the 3 minutes required in Week 3 but then I think...well, just a month ago, I couldn't even run at all, and then when I ran Week 1, I thought that I would never be able to run 90 seconds, but I am, so I just have to have faith that I can do Week 3, Week 4, and so on. You can do this. I think there are a couple of people on here that have asthma, so I am sure they will be very helpful to you. Just take it slow, do what you can, and be proud!

I too am planning on doing a Turkey Trot too. Although I will not be fully trained for a 5k, Turkey Trots are more fun than competive, so I am looking at it as a way to see what a 5k is like and to see what my time could be. It should be fun. See you on the finish line!!

• redhoney Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    201. Oct 25, 2009 9:45 PM (in response to Tika417)

Well, I finished Week 2 today!! Yay me!! My workout was a little different than usual today. I normally do my training at the Y on the treadmill. My brisk walks are at a 3.5 speed (I think that is a 17.5mm) and then I do my run at a 5 speed (which is a 12mm, I think). In the end, I typically finish my 30 or so minute workout at 2 miles...sometimes a little more or less, depending.

Well, today, I had a lot of errands to run and since the Y closes at 6pm, I wasn't able to get there to do my normal workout. Since it was so nice out (about 68 degrees), I decided to jump on the Upper Tampa Bay Trail and do my last day of Week 2. Now, I have never really run outside and was not sure what to expect and I must say that it was truly different. It is harder to pace yourself. I am so used to relying on the treadmill to tell me how fast or slow I am going that I find it difficult to determine how fast or slow I should be going outside. I also had to fight the slight wind, moderate inclines and declines, and the constant inhalation of knats (ewww!!). I also did not have my trusty water bottle that stays on the treadmill with me. Since I didn't want to run with a 32 oz. bottle, I decided to leave it in the car. I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it without ANY water, but I must say that I did. I had to take the advice of one of the posters here (I am so sorry that I can't remember who posted this) and give myself pep talks. I kept telling myself that "You can do this", "Just make it to the light", or "There's your finish line up ahead...just cross it" and I must say that it worked!

All in all, today was a good day. I really did enjoy running outside and since the 5k will not be on a treadmill and I have to get used to running on asphalt anyway, I think I will take my run outside for the last run of each week.

I am so proud of all of us. Just think how far we've come. Even though I am only going to be starting Week 3 on Tuesday, I am still so much further than I was before I started and even before last week. Let's all keep up the good work!! Go us!!

• deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    202. Oct 26, 2009 5:48 AM (in response to redhoney)
    Welcome! :)

First of all, WELCOME to all the new folks who have joined our little thread! It's so exciting to "see" all the people progressing in our group!

Well, I did W4D2 on Thursday and then W4D3 yesterday morning. I never have a set schedule of days I'm going to run because of my work schedule, so I just kind of play it by ear. W4D2 was kind of hard for me, but I didn't notice the pain or the issue with my breathing as much. I typically do my runs after work, which puts me running right around dinnertime. Because of scheduling issues, I ran my W4D3 yesterday morning, shortly after waking up, on an empty stomach, and found the run to be much easier for me. I'm not sure if it was because I'd finally gotten accustomed to the W4 workout or because of the other stuff, but who knows - it wasn't as hard.

I'm excited and nervous about starting W5, I guess because of the 20min jog on Day 3 - like everyone else, it seems like that's all I can think about! LOL

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    203. Oct 26, 2009 11:58 AM (in response to Tika417)

Hey All and Welcome New Folks,

I did my W4D2 run on Saturday and completed it out of pure stubbornness. My calves and shins ached the entire time. It was the first run since W1D1 where I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish or not. Like I said, I stubborned along till I completed it and I'm scheduled to run W4D3 this evening. I think all the cramping and pain is because I was an idiot and forgot to drink water...all day long. Yeah, not my brightest moment. Making sure to hydrate yesterday and today and we'll see if it happens again.

Shell

• DGail Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    I'm up to wk4d3-tomorrow...a little concerned about week 5. Every run since day1 week1 has been a real challenge except the first wk4 run. That was the first time my legs got tired before my heart and lungs. Even with the challenge it's always a disappointment to realize it's not a run day...not sure what's keeping me motivated but something definitely is.  I'm pretty healthy other than just being out of shape but I can't imagine being ready to run 20 min a week from now. Reading the posts on here helps...lets me know I'm not alone with the struggle. Many thanks.
  • k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    205. Oct 26, 2009 4:06 PM (in response to DGail)
    I did W4D3 yesterday, and it was actually pretty good.  I even was able to pick up speed in the last minute of the last 5 minute run.  I cannot believe it!  I am on a business trip this week, so I will have to make one run this week on my trip.  I actually packed my running gear and wore my running shoes on the plane.  That is very unusual for me.   I am kind of excited to check out the hotel gym to see how it will work for my W5D1 tomorrow or Wednesday.  I can't believe that I am actually progressing in this program.  We can do week 5 this week.  I look forward to hearing how everyone does on their runs this week.

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    206. Oct 26, 2009 5:27 PM (in response to k9178)
    just finished wk 5 Day 1!!!

This is getting so exciting that we are all making such wonderful progress.  I just finished week 5 day one...  the five minute runs were not too hard.  I do find the first jog to be the hardest one. By the second run my legs feel better.   I'm looking forward to taking on the 8 minute run on Wednesday.  I did find today that the 3 minute walk break between the five minute runs seemed longer than I really needed.  When I do the 20 minutes at the end of this week it will just be like putting the 5 minute runs together  without the break.  We can and will do it!   My 21 and 23 year old son and daughter will be here for Thanksgiving and are going to run my Turkey Trot 5k with me.  When the running seems hard I think about how it is all worth it to be able to do that 5k with them.  Way to stick with this everyone!               

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    207. Oct 27, 2009 7:25 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: just finished wk 5 Day 1!!!

Hooray for those of us on Week 5! We can do i t, everybody! Keep running!

We completed W5D1 last night and it was AWESOME. Best run I've had so far. No breathing problems, no leg problems...just enjoyed it and felt like I could have kept going.

Excited about tomorrow's run!

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    208. Oct 27, 2009 7:42 AM (in response to Tika417)

Good Morning Everybody,

My partner and I finished W4D3 last night and it was a really good run. I was in a crummy mood after work, my legs and knees hurt, and I just wanted to veg out. Instead I pushed myself out the door. I think I may have finally found a positive outlet for all that stubbornness folks have told me about all these years.

As an aside, I have a friend who previously trained for and completed the Marine Corps Marathon. It's been a few years and a new baby since then. I just found out that she started C25K after hearing that I started. It was kind of interesting that she was taking this route even though she has previous running experience. Kinda cool.

Hope everyone has a great day,

Shell

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

W4D2 this morning.- no problems at all.

mid 40's-- running in tshirt and wind pants---- but THAT can't last long.

I have kind of settled into a groove, I think.- I do the 5 minute warm up walk-- then a 90 second run and a 90 second walk-and then start the assigned workout.

the extended warm up--- particularly the  90 second run-- remind me of proper pacing

I do find--- I run the 90 second pace--- different than the 3 minute pace---and that is different then the 5 minute pace

So- I am assuming the 20 minute run next week-- is all about finding the proper pace-- and self controll.

just a suggestion to any folks still having foot/heel pain or knee pain------ during about week 2-- I started doing some heel stretches---3- 4 times a day, every day--- kind of made my heels itch,actually---- but any heel discomfort is now totally gone.

I ice my knees for 15 minutes after the run--and I have started some knee exercises as well to strengthen THOSE joints-- and that seems to be working as well.

weather here--fantastic-- but the leaves are ever so slightly past their peak--- but still super.- some of the trees are now bare----- but it is still so fun to get out and see how things have changed day to day.

BTW- spent a good part of Saturday  at a highschool Cross Country  meet--- this is a course I know very well as a spectator-- I have easily seen over 100 plus races their in the past few years--- was pleasantly suprised how much easier it was on Saturday-scampering from vantage point to vantage point( If a spectator is prepared to hustle--- you can see the runners from  8 -10 different spots during the race. Boys team advanced--- and the girals team advanced--the girls team won the race outright  and the top girl runner--ran shoulder to shoulder with her chief competitor the entire race---and then blew her away in the final 200 yards---- won the race outright pulling away!-- possibly the best race I have seen in 10 years-- boys or girls-- very moving.

stephen

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...