Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

61047 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 36 Previous Next
  • disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    420. Nov 25, 2009 3:06 PM (in response to catsrcul)
    Re: What is next?

Karen,   I looked at the pictures of last years 5 k that I'm doing tomorrow.   The rain was coming down in buckets and it doesn't look like anyone stayed away.   I hope it clears for yours though.  If it doesn't stop running you'll have a good story to tell!!

My daughter and I went down to the Dana Hills Harbor to pick up our race numbers ect.   It is just a gorgeous  day here and should be perfect running weather tomorrow.  We will have to leave our house here at 6 am.  The 10 k my daughter and son are running starts at 7.  My race starts at 8.  We got our nice goodie bags..  the bag itself is a water repellant  back pack type nylon  bag that should come in handy for throwing extra running gear in.    My son flies in from San Francisco tonight!   I'm so happy to have family together.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    421. Nov 25, 2009 2:51 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

Completed W7 D3 the other day

I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew.

I have not completed the 9 Week From C25K and I am going to try to do the 5K Turkey race.

Considering my age (66) and my turtle running speed, I hope I can finish and be on time for Thanksgiving.

Karen, hope that it stops raining..Glad that you resolved your kids situation.

Good luck to all who are racing tomorrow.

aprillilly
    Sep 30, 2009

Good luck to you Aprillily!!  The turkey will wait for you!   I'm sure you'll make it to the table on time!    You'll do great and have fun~!        Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    423. Nov 25, 2009 5:26 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Good Luck to all of you tomorrow!!

I just wanted to wish all of the 5K folks good luck tomorrow, and happy Thanksgiving!!

Karen - I hope the day is clear and beautiful.

Jess - Have fun in Dana Point.  I will think about you when I drive by tonight.

Aprillilly - Don't worry about your speed.  You will do great.  When I did my 5K a few weeks ago, I walked plenty, and I still did just fine.  There were plenty of people who were walking behind me and finished well after me.  Just remember to go your own speed, and walk when you need to.  You will do great.  Have fun!

Libby - go for it!  You will do great, and will have lots of fun.

I know there are others running tomorrow, and I wish you all the best.  I know you will do great.  I can't wait to hear all the details afterward.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    424. Nov 25, 2009 7:10 PM (in response to k9178)
    Re: Good Luck to all of you tomorrow!!

It's raining cats and dogs tonight too.

My dh doesn't like surprises. He's a planner. He wanted us to take a look at the course and I was taken aback. The course looked daunting.  I've been running around in the 1/2 mile circle where we live for my training. And I'm only up to 2 miles on asphalt in 25 minutes.

I guess it's good that I saw the whole course so I don't end up taking off too fast.

My goal is simply to run the whole race. I will just look at it as a long run.

I don't know how I'm going to get to sleep. lol

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    425. Nov 26, 2009 7:19 AM (in response to catsrcul)

well- I hope everyone is out having a great first 5K race

weather here is glorious,spectacular-just over the top fantastic-40's,bright blue skies and wonderfull sunshine.

no racing today for me- but I did my w8d3 run------- I ran a local 5k cross country course. I have attended many races there- but never ran one on the course- it has a rather brutal,long,long,steep hill-getting up ,over and down the hill takes up roughly the middle third of the race.

i would say-today was the only time I was not totally confident I could not do the prescribed workout- i would say I was 90% confident. I have run the course before- but never with this amount of prep.

so- iplanned to start out slow,gut out the hill and try for a negative split and up tempo the last 3rd of the course

knowing what was ahead of me- it was pretty easy to start out slow-and when I reached the hill,I just shortened up my stride and chugged up to the top.

i figured- the only way I could lose- is if I stopped running and walked-so I just refused to let my self stop- i DID slow down-and I DID take some short diagonal tracks back and forth across the path to flatten out the grade within the confiones of the path- but mostly I just slowed down and powered up the hill

nice slow run down the hill-totally got my wind back-and then picked it up for the pace of the last mile back to the finish.

2 days rest- and then I am going to do an even tougher course on sunday- i have seen literally hu8ndreds of races on sundays course-so I know it quite well. I have always wanted to be the sort of person that could RUN these courses- even if I can't race them!.

in the spirit of thanksgiving- I will tell you what I am greatfull for today.

My wife of 25 years and I have a nice house with great neighbors and a fire burning in the fireplace- my 2 college boy sons-are home from school- one of them brought a girlfriend-and we also have 2 other friends of my sons staying here this weekend( one of them is like a son to us- he lives here with us when he is not at aschool-gets Xmas presents here- goes on vacation with us etc.-he IS family)- my sister in law and her husband will be here for dinner-also another sister in law---close as i can figure it- we will have 10 people here under my roof for dinner---ALL of them are much smarter than me ( I am just a dumb roofer/carpenter
    )- not counting the college kids- I will have 4 BA.s,2 masters degrees and a PHD at dinner-plus at least 2 of the kids are going on to grad school

sooooo- mostly my plan is to keep my mouth shut and pass the wine. Very mediocre year for business- and I am just greatfull to have kept up the college tuition checks and to be able to provide for those under my roof.--- although EVRYONE at the table is smarter than me- I take  some pleasure in knowing that while they were ALL still sleeping- I was up, walked my labradors twice, made and ate buckwheat pancakes for breakfast-and  ran my 5K!!!!!!- including a monster hill!-sons girlfriend is making pies with my wife right now-which has me feeling all warm and fuzzy-gonna go bring in some more firewood

hope everyone has a grand holiday!!!!!!!

my very best wishes to everyone with their runs today

stephen

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    426. Nov 26, 2009 8:20 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stephen you sure made me laugh about everyone being smarter and passing the wine! They all might have a degree, but I bet they cant build a house!

Yesterday I ran 2 miles, I pushed myself and did it in better time, I have two days off. On saturday I plan on running 30.

I am thankful for my family, and our health. I am patiently waiting for my husband to finish some dressing, and take a shower than we are off to my sis in laws.

Im getting up at 2:40 am to hit black friday, ouch!!

Take care

D

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    427. Nov 26, 2009 8:26 AM (in response to Tika417)

Well, I did the 8k, and I'm back home now, much worse for the wear.

That is a LONG race, and I definiitely wasn't quite prepared for it.  I finished in approximately 57:15 (over almost exactly 5 miles).  It really underscored how much more training I really need to do.

I hope everyone else who did 5K's today had a wonderful time!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

Oct 14, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Congratulations, PearsonFlyer!  That is so awesome!  I am incredibly impressed

Stephen - great job on your run today, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on what you are thankful for.  It sounds like you have a wonderful family.

I did week 8 day 2 today or at least I tried to do the whole thing.  I ran with my little dog and it was a bit of a challenge.  He did really well, but it is pretty hot here in Southern Cal today so we cut the run a bit short.  I only did 16 minutes, but it was a good run up a hill, and I improved my time and my pace.

I am thankful for all of you who have really given me the encouragement to keep going in this process.  I am so thankful that I can actually run, and that I somewhat enjoy it.  I actually look forward to my runs now.  It is funny that even with travel, I am making plans to run on my trip, and looking forward to it. I am a person who never even took tennis shoes with me when I traveled.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Kendra

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Sep 30, 2009
    429. Nov 26, 2009 11:18 AM (in response to k9178)
    Graduation Day! I DID IT!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

5 k complete!!!   I did it!   I am done with C25k and now training for a 10K!   Here is my race report.    By the time my race started at 8:30 it was a warm and sunny day here in California.  Hot enough where I appreciated when I found a shady spot on the course.   My kids ran the 10K before my race started so I got to cheer them on.. see them run past the half way point and cross the finish line!   I felt just a little nervous as I've been sharing with them thru out my training how hard I've worked.  I didn't want to go out and "bomb".   I wanted to do well for myself and them.   

The race started and I felt very good at the beginning.  I think because I'd been walking some, up on my feet watching the kids race and feeling  warmed up.   I tried to be mindful of running "my" pace.  It is really hard not to just run along with the pace of the crowd.  Well when the one mile marker came up my stop watch said 9 minutes!!   I have never ran faster than a 10:30 in practice.   It turned out that everyone says the race had that one mile marker too early!!   But because I thought I just ran a 9 minute mile I really tried to slow my pace.  I was working hard and didn't want to burn out.   It seemed like FOREVER and no mile two sign.   When it finally came up it was really wacky.. my clock  was at 23  minutes.. That would mean I ran one mile in 9 minutes and the second mile in 14  minutes.   I was running steady and knew I wasn't running any slower than my usual  11 ish  minute mile!  After seeing mile two I really focused on it being my last lap on my practice runs.  I knew the end was near and I was still running steady.  Mile 3 seemed to come up very quickly since mile 2 took so long.      What is really neat is that my 24 year old son said that when he saw me coming towards the finish line he was thinking,  "Wow, she is really moving!!"   He said,  "Mom you were too fast for me to even get a picture.  I had no idea you could run that fast!!"  I could tell he was really surprised and not just saying that.  SO... my time was 32 minutes 25 seconds!!   I've been averaging about 34-36  minutes in my 3 mile practice runs.  I am thrilled with the finish time.  I feel that I can potentially get under 30 minutes in the future.  Not bad for a 53  year old woman I don't think!    Now remember I ran/walked the Disney half marathon at the end of September before doing C25k.  My 5K split  time two months ago was 42:59 so after training I took almost 10:30 off my time!!   All my hard work paid off!!   I think had that one mile marker not been misplaced at the beginning I may have done a little bit better time as I wouldn't have forced myself to slow down  after mile one marker.    I had fun.. I loved having my son and daughter there to watch me finish strong.  The turkey is in the oven...  life is great!

Stephen.. I know you are a smart man because you are counting your blessings on this day of Thanksgiving.  You list your wife and family first.  Smart man.  Congrats on 25 years of marriage.. I've been blessed that way too.  My husband and I have been married 26 years and have 3 wonderful young adult children.  Great job on your cross country run.  Being a hiker I can truly appreciate manuevering up and down the hills.  I am looking forward to doing more trail running as well.

Drink up..good luck on your 30 minute run!  Funny what you said about getting up at 2:40 for black Friday.  You'll be getting up about when I get into bed.  Unfortunately I have to work at Disney 5:45 till 2 am tonight.  So no black Friday for me this year!   With my kids being older I really don't have big shopping needs this year.  I have got up plenty early in years past when I have things in mind to buy.  Wear your running shoes my friend!

Pearson.. yeah 8 K!   You are one race better as far as experience and learning what it takes.   Besides you got a great work out in!!   My kids that ran the 10 K were funny.  They both told me that a couple miles in to their race they were both wishing they had signed up for 5k instead.  They did well though.  My son is training for a March marathon so this was good work up for him.

Kendra.. don't we have a beautiful day here in SO CAL?   I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.

Looking forward to others race reports!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    430. Nov 26, 2009 11:44 AM (in response to Tika417)

Just got back -- mildly disappointed in myself on my 4 mile run, which turned into a 2+ mile run and a 1.something walk. Ah, well, so be it. I did it. Next weekend is the Colder Boulder which is ACTUALLY a 5K, so we're doing that. And we're running the whole thing! But considering the sun (we're night runners, people!) and the pure nerves, I think we were successful. W9D2 complete!

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

Sep 12, 2009
    431. Nov 26, 2009 11:49 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: Graduation Day! I DID IT!!

Jess, you did a great job. Wow!!!

My 10 y/o and I finished our first 5K this morning. It's a good thing that my husband is a planner. He helped me to figure out what time to wake up and what time we ought to leave the house. I'm not good at that. I hardly slept during the night and I had a ridiculous dream. In my dream I was interviewing for a job as a nurse for cats and dogs who would receive hyperbaric oxygen therapy. The interviewer crouched behind a chair as she interviewed me across the room. She just peeked at me every now and then. Ha ha. I explained to her that I thought I was applying for a job taking care of humans and not animals. I told her I was not a dog.person.at.all. and that I loved cats but was allergic to them.
    Upon awakening.I had my usual pre-run cup of green tea and drank 2 glasses of water.
    When we made it to the race site I realized I forgot my inhaler. I switched from the passenger's seat to the driver's seat and sped back home. My husband doesn't like to drive when we're late. Note to self:The night before a race I must put my inhaler in the van. That way I can't leave it.
    We warmed up by walking for five minutes and running for ten. We walked to the back of all the runners and did our penguin run.
    After 38 minutes I looked at my watch and decided that I felt bad and since I had never ever ran for 38 minutes I ought to stop running. So I walked for approximately five minutes. Then I told Jimmy is was time for us to run again. We saw the finish line in sight so then we sprinted to the finish. It's a good thing we sprinted or else we would have lengthened our time even more.
    I'm a little disappointed in our time but I must realize that I haven't completed the Couch 25K program yet. I still have two weeks left and I'd only been covering two miles in 25 minutes at home.
    We have our eyes on a race in January and we hope for a better time then. Until such time we will be content with today's time of 43:16.
    We have no photos of our crossing the finish line. My husband thought the battery was dead on the camera. The truth is that he had the camera set on playback instead of point and shoot. :-/
    We had a great time! My ten y/o and I both ended up with the same exact time.
    The highlight of the race was the man who sped past us in his wheelchair. Boy was he fast!

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Completed C25K 12/14/09

Sep 12, 2009
    432. Nov 26, 2009 11:53 AM (in response to catsrcul)

I was very overwhelmed by the race at the beginning. I had no idea how I would finish. My heart was beating way too fast. It is overwhelming to have so many people pulling you and rushing by you.

At the end my head was spinning too. I just ignored it though.

~Karen~

Completed C25K 12/14/09

Oct 14, 2009
    433. Nov 26, 2009 12:11 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Congratulations 5k runners!  You guys are awesome!!

Jess -  Wow incredible time!  You should be so proud of yourself.  You were so fast on your run.  Especially with the warm weather today.   I am so glad your kids could celebrate with you!!

Libby -  You did it!  Great job!  I know what you mean about the sun.  I actually went out and bought a visor last night just because I was running during the day today.  Strange how changing just one little thing changes the way you do things.  Be proud that you got out there and did it.

Karen - WooHoo!!  You did great.  It is so funny that you got almost exactly the same time as I did on my 5k (1 second faster).  It is great that your 10 year old did it with you.  You should feel so proud of yourself that you did it and did it well.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kendra

Sep 30, 2009
    434. Nov 26, 2009 12:55 PM (in response to k9178)
    Re: Races

Great job fellow runners!

Libby.. You did great!   Just think about what you DID do.. you ran more than 2 miles!!  WOOO HOOOO!!  That is great..and finished and participated in a 4 miler!   I also think it is much harder to run in cold weather.  It was kind of cool air here for the kids 10 K before my race.  They said it really made their throats hurt.  I remember that from running in Michigan in cold weather.  The cold air was gone by the time my race started.  The best thing about this sport of running is we only need compete with ourselves and see our own progress!   Each time we run it is progress since we are all beginners.   I hope you had fun.  It will probably be a little easier to focus when you are doing a 5k instead of the 4 miler.  Congratulations!

Karen.. Awesome!   I'm so happy to hear you did this with your son.  Absolutely wonderful.  Amazing.. you ran 28 minutes!  Your time of 43.16 was very close to my time 2 months ago of 42.59.  Before that race I had been doing tons of hiking and a little bit of running so I felt like I was in reasonable shape.   So I think you did excellant.  Did your son have fun?   How was the weather?  Did the rain stop?   I had trouble sleeping last night too.  I woke up at 2 am and didn't fall back to sleep until around 3:30.  I wanted to get up at 5 to stuff the turkey before we left but I woke up at 5:30.  We left the house at 6am.  I am going to be tired for my late work shift tonight.   I can sleep in tomorrow.

thankyou for all your well wishes everyone!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...