Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

65476 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 Previous Next
  • catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009

Thanks Jess for your encouragement. I think I was on the road to getting hurt someday soon if I didn't make changes. I'm a  prideful person and I enjoyed saying that I ran so and so minutes without walking.  Thank goodness my body just started to shut down on me.

The experiment went well. I put a glass of water outside and doused myself with water before walking and after 10 minutes.  I ran 3:1 of run/walk intervals for 20 minutes after five minutes of walking. Later today, I will take a 30 minute walk.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    496. Dec 17, 2009 10:15 AM (in response to catsrcul)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

Karen,

Congratulations on graduating!! Yeah!  I am interested in the Galloway method as well.  I think that would help me as well.  My hips are feeling better to walk, but I can't really run yet.  It is a good thing that I am going skiing for a week so I can cross train a bit.  I am excited to see how much better skiing goes now that I have been working out.  I completely agree with everything you said.  Don't get down.  Just keep on going.   I will have to pick up the book over the holidays and maybe follow that plan once I am recovered.  I think with the walk breaks I could probably do it right now.  I think the intervals may help with the boredom too.

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    497. Dec 19, 2009 9:41 AM (in response to Tika417)
    I'm back

Hey All,

After a couple of weeks of traveling I'm back and running. First to New Englad for my sister's wedding. We didn't run there, too much going on with all the wedding plans and  general family stuff. The one thing I need to note is the food. As a general rule, my family doesn't eat vegetables. It was just strange. They eat tons of prepared (like hot pockets and hot dogs) and can after can of Coke. Now, I appreciate a soda now and then, but we're talking more like 4-5 cans per day and they think I'm strange for drinnking water and seeking out veggies.So glad I moved away from all that.

Then Team Stubborn went tropical for a little bit and it was interesting to go from running in 40 degrees, wind, and Seattle drizzle to 90 degrees and 100% humidity after sunset in Mexico. We only did 20 minutes, but I looked like someone dumped a bucket of water on me at the end. We could have gone to the hotel's gym and used the treadmill, but we always run outside normally. By the way, if anyone is looking for a really good all inclusive in Mexico, I highly recommend the Riu Palace Maya Riviera in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, just outside Cancun. Great food, beautiful beach, and exceptionally attentive staff. We got a seet deal on Expedia.

The only glitch is that my back went out the last day in Mexico. I've had sciatica issues for around 15 years, so it wasn't a great surprise or anything, but it did throw a damper on the last day there. More importantly, it's hard to imagine running when getting out of bed requires planning, patience, and a decent pain threshhold. We gave it a couple of days, still having the getting out of bed problems, but I could walk mostly freely, when my partner convinced me to try running last night. I'd had back tightness before that running helped, but this is a different story and I was downright scared, but I agreed to try. At first I was super nervous, but the back didn't start spasming and there was no monsterous leg weakness, so we kept going. In my head I thought maybe doing 5 min and then walking a bit before running again, but it didn't work out that way. Instead we did a slow, 30-ish minute 2.1 mile run without stopping. I still can believe it considering some of the symptoms I was having.This morning I still had a hard time getting out of bed, but it was better than yesterday. Go Team Stubborn!

Shell

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    498. Dec 22, 2009 10:21 PM (in response to WetSneakers)
    Re: I'm back

Three miles tonight -- first time ever. I walked a few minutes, but I made it. I told myself I was going to do three, and I did.

Resolution Run next week -- anyone else doing it?

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    499. Dec 23, 2009 8:21 AM (in response to LibbyColorado)

I am going to do another 5k January 9.  Good luck on your resolution run Libby.  What a great way to kick off the New Year!!   Be sure and let us know how it goes!      Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you!      Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    500. Dec 23, 2009 7:45 PM (in response to disneygal2)

It is great to read everyone's updates. I have been up skiing this week, and have had a wonderful time.  It is so much easier to ski now that I have been running.  I have not been sore at all this week, and we have skiied hard.  Normally, I have pain in my legs.  I have bad knees, and my knees are usually a big problem for me.  My knees have not given me one bit of trouble!

I did have a bit of pain from my hip, but mainly that was due to a jump I did to show my brother in law something.  I stupid off the slopes stunt.  I am hoping to be back to running when I get home next week.

Shell, it is good to hear that you are still at it.  Libby and Jess, good luck with your resolution run.

Merry Christmas to all!

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

Sep 12, 2009
    501. Dec 23, 2009 8:35 PM (in response to k9178)

Shell, I liked reading about your resolve to eat healthy despite your birth family's history of eating. My birth family has some similar bad eating habits.

Libby, congrats on your three mile run.

Kendra, it's great to hear about your improved skiing endurance.

Jess,  you are running the same day as we are next year. We're doing a second 5K. Our 10 y/o is running with me. Our 5 and almost 7 y/o will do a 1/4 mile fun run.

I created a running blog at http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com. Right now I'm documenting my progress on training to run a better 5K.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Completed C25K 12/14/09

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009

Its been a few months. But I always like good update, for people reading the thread from the start. I finally after 2 month of a break just decided to run again, and ran my 3 miles with no issues. My shins don't hurt! Now Im running 3miles 3x a week. Hoping to do my first 5k this may.

I am curious how others have done.

D

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009

I'm still running, 3-4 miles about 4x per week.  My speed has been increasing, and I'm signed up for my next 5k in 20 days, and plan to do at least 10 of them this year (probably way more).

I bought a Garmin Forerunner 310 GPS watch, and it's been awesome.  I can get immediate feedback on my pace, distance, heart rate, and total running time, and when I'm done with a run, I can map it out on Google Earth.  It also makes it easy to track the total number of miles I'm running in any given month.

I'm glad you're back with it, drinkup!  After my last 5k in November, I took about 2 weeks off, and when I came back to running, I found I could go much faster and further than before.  I think our bodies actually use that break for good things.

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

• Crazy88s Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 2, 2009

I maybe run a 5k once a week now. Running is ok but I fell in love with cycling. I'm currently training for the Tour de Cure in May. I'm hoping to ride 62 miles. I ride (including spin class) about 4 to 5 times a week and run 1 day. My wife has really taken to running though and is preparing the half marathon here in Atlanta coming up in March or April.

3 times a week is awesome!

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009

That is great Drink up!!!   Amazing to be able to run 3 miles after 2 months off.   I'm so glad to hear your shins don't hurt!  Hope your easing into it enough not to re injure them.  Slow and steady wins the race!  Congratulations on your success and starting back up!

After completing C25k.. I started a thread to continue training for a 10 K.  It is an active thread on the board here  and we'd love to have you join us there.  You don't have to be training to do 10K to join us.. we just talk about life and running after the 3 miles!!   I went on to run 2 5 k's (Nov and Jan)  and then my first 10k on Feb 7.   My long run is up to 7 miles!!!!    I am training to do the Disney half marathon in September.  Smarietta (Stephen) posts on that thread as well.   He is doing great and actively running, swimming, biking and soon to be roofing again.  Exhausting just to think about!

Isn't it amazing to be able to go out and run 3 miles!   I hope everyone will give an update.  To all the past posters:   If life has interfered with your plans and you've had to stop or slow down.. no biggie.. just lace up your shoes and start where you left off.  Spring is almost here and that should help.

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009

Wow, I'm glad for all your updates! I run slow, but my motto is doesn't matter how long it takes, as long as you get there.

I will check out the 10k thread,

That garmen is pretty cool. I went ahead and got a polar watch, keep tracking on my heartrate is really handy for me, it seems if I got to a certain beat I get worn out.

Great job to all of you!

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

Drinkup- glad to hear about everybody-was thinking about this last eve. as I mapped out my running schedule for this week.

from 10-3-09 untill 3-1-10 I went from zero running per week-to running 18 miles per week. I am adding a day of running this week- so I am running 5 days per week:0,3,3,3,3,0,6

I have been walking around today in a state of constant amazement over how good my legs feel today  after yesterdays 6-1/4 mile run

Best wishes all,

stephen

Sep 12, 2009

It's so exciting to see all the updates.

Drinkup, keep up the good work!

PearsonFlyer, enjoy that Garmin! I'm wanting to get an iPad so I can't get a Garmin. I have a Timex Ladies' IronMan watch that I still don't know how to use although somone at the LRS tried to teach me how to use it. I'm thinking about buying an interval device from Galloway's website. I need it on my long running days.

Crazy88, great job on the cycling. IMPRESSIVE.

Jess, you're always the encourager. You bless us.

Stephen, great job keeping on keepin' on!

My 10 y/o and I are gearing up for our 3rd 5K on the 20th of this month. Exciting. I've been working on distance. This week I will be up to eight miles on my long day. I do run/walk intervals on my long day.

Next week I will start working on speed since I will then have six months of running under my belt. Fun!

I'm very active on a thread called Runaway Parents.

Happy running and cycling, and spinning and everything else!

~Karen~

~Karen~

Completed C25K 12/14/09

• LB82 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009

Yay!  I'm so glad that everyone is doing well and keeping up with being active.  I've been plugging away, getting in my 3 mi 3 times/week, which seems surprisingly comfortable now.  I also convinced my husband to start C25K, and he's on week 6 now.   I wouldn't say that he likes doing it, but I think he likes how it makes him feel afterwards.  I've been using the Nike+ since I got in my Christmas stocking and really enjoy seeing the miles add up on it.  I'm also starting the Nike+ novice 5K training this next weekend, which helps you speed up your 5K time through increased mileage, fartleks, tempo runs, and regular long runs, so am hoping to see a difference with that.  I signed up for a women's 5K race for breast cancer in Berlin (I live in Germany, but Berlin is definitely the big city for us) at the end of the program, so will make a fun, weekend trip out of it (reward shopping for a great race, maybe?).  And now that the days are sunnier and not so bitterly cold, with most of the ice melted away, I'm looking forward to leaving the treadmill behind and exploring on foot.

Good luck to everyone for spring training...it sounds like we all have some exciting things ahead of us!

LB

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...