Skip navigation

3535 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2009 9:01 AM by Training4Ironman.com RSS
Jitka27 Rookie 3 posts since
Sep 29, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 30, 2009 1:41 AM

body rotation during freestyle

Hello,

I have just joined active.com and I really enjoy it. I appologize for my writing mistakes (I am not a native English speaker) as I come from Czech republic.

I started swimming 3 months ago and I enjoy it very much. But i am not sure if my swimming technique is right. For example I wonder if I should rotate my whole body during swimming freestyle (even my legs) or if I should rotate only my upper body - my arms and hips with keeping legs horizontal with the water surface.

Thank you for your advice.

Jitka

Jitka004760.jpg

• Barracuda88 Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009
    1. Oct 6, 2009 10:30 AM (in response to Jitka27)
    Re: body rotation during freestyle

Hi!

My name is Stephanie, I've been a swimmer/swim coach for the past 16 years. Yes, rotate your entire body, legs included while doing freestyle. You want to be as streamline as possible going through the water. It sounds like you are asking very advanced questions for being so new to swimming. That's great! Keep up the good work!

Stephanie

• Barracuda88 Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009
    3. Oct 7, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to Jitka27)

Hello!

I'm so happy I could help! The swimming community is pretty small in the United States, so you'll have to bear with us! I'm always so jealous when I go onto the running community site and see all the users and communications, then I go to the swimming part and see how small it is . In any case, we are small but the swimming community is WONDERFUL! We really do try to open our arms to everyone! I'm glad you're here and I'm glad you're swimming, it is truly the best sport in the world by far!

Let me know if you have any more questions and I wish you the best of luck!

Stephanie  

• twotonehog Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    5. Nov 12, 2009 6:49 PM (in response to Barracuda88)

Hello to all,

I am new to this group, I am a 40 yr old male just now trying to learn the proper technique of swimming.  I am off to a very slow start, gettin a bit frustrated but I will not give up, my goal is to do tri-athalons, any advice on how others learned would be great! I am still working with the very basics, of course I have always swam a little since childhood, but never any real distance. I am very athletic, love to run, bike, indoor rowing, weights, 7 days a week. I know I will love this sport also as time goes on!

George (Upper Michigan)

• Training4Ironman.com Amateur 31 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    6. Nov 13, 2009 9:01 AM (in response to Jitka27)

Even if you have to start performing freestyle drills which have you swimming on your side with one arm out in front with your head leaning on it

and the other arm to your side nice and relaxed.  Your belly button and eyes should be looking at the side of the pool or on the pool deck.

Always remember that when breathing you do the exact same as rotating.  You roll your body to the side with your head and breathe.

Don't seperate your head from your body at any point.

Thanks,

Matthew Olaya

Personal Trainer

Huntington Beach California

TrainingWithMatt.com

matt@trainingwithmatt.com

-B.S. Kinesiology

-NASM Cert.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points