Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1334 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 30, 2009 10:32 PM by mrsphong RSS
Codys Dad Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 30, 2009 7:31 PM

Should I switch shoes 6 weeks before marathon?

This is a 2 fold question:  I have worn the Beast for the past 3 years now, and am training for a marathon. I completed two 1/2 marathons last year in the Beast... I bought my last pair in July, and the marathon is in November. (15th).  Last week, we were buying my wife some new running shoes, and I got to talking with a running coach who was working at this specialty tri/running store.  He did an electric scan of my feet, watched me walk (just as I've done in the past at other running shoe stores) and said that I really don't need to be in the Beast.  I've lost approx. 30 pounds since starting the training, and he mentioned that could play a factor, but he would recommend the Ghost or Glyceryn.  Espeically since I'm a heel/mid foot striker, it would provide way more cushining.

So my question is:

Do I continue on with the Beast through the marathon that I already have; or,

Should I buy a new pair of Beasts now to be "fresh" for the marathon, or,

Do I have enough time to switch into a completely different shoe than I"m used to, and still be healthy (foot wise) to run in November???

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points