Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1176 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 2, 2009 1:06 PM by lenzlaw RSS
jess7485 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 30, 2009 8:46 PM

Heart Rate Monitor for Marathoners

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help

I'm running my first marathon in April, though I ran track competitively in college a few years ago.  I was wondering if a heart rate monitor would be a good tool for marathon running, and if anyone has any views on whether they help/are just a hassle running.

I went and checked some out at Citysports today, and the salesgirl insisted on a $360 Polar model.  Admittedly, I don't know anything about HRMs so I'm not sure if she was trying to make a pricey sale or its really top-of-the-line.

Regardless, I'm ok with shelling out a little money if it's something that will be useful and functional, though obviously the less the better   I do have a HRM now, but you have to hold down buttons for a read-out, and it doesn't come with a chest strap (also - is this essential?)

Thanks for shedding any light on this.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points