Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

274372 Views 1,883 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 10:34 AM by RabidBear RSS 1 2 3 ... 126 Previous Next
disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
Sep 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2009 1:14 PM

Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

I am.. tomorrow is my 53 birthday.   Activity keeps us young and enjoying life.  I play in several tennis leagues and am very active in a hiking club.  I recently walked the Disneyland  1/2 marathon.  It was very fun and inspiring.  BUT my time was 3:30 and  in my age group I was in the bottom quarter.   Now I realize that many my (our) age wouldn't even attempt such a thing.. still it motivates me to do better next year.  That brings me here to C25K.  I thought it might be fun to have a thread for us fabulous fifties and above!  Care to join? 

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• joniw Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 2, 2009
    1. Oct 2, 2009 2:31 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Yep - 51 here! Haven't officially started yet, have just been reading up. You have a big head start on me though because I am truly a "couch" to 5ker. Not that I sit around on the "couch" all the time, but I have not led a very active lifestyle. As a matter of fact, the most activity I get is walking my dog three times a day! Anyway, today in celebration of "LiveStrong Day" (sponsored by The Lance Armstrong Foundation) I am setting my sights on a 5k sometime next year.

Nice to meet you!

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    2. Oct 2, 2009 2:55 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Well I finished C25K on my 49th birthday - but if no one minds I am interested in this thread. I just read in Runners World (birthday present) about this man that started running when he was 49 and he is 77

Oct 2, 2009
    3. Oct 2, 2009 3:20 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi Donna - how do you like the program? I am really interested to know if you somewhat "active" and in shape before you even started the program, 'cause I am pretty much starting from ground zero.

nice to meet you, btw!

Aug 2, 2009
    4. Oct 2, 2009 3:27 PM (in response to joniw)
    I loved the program!!! It was great. I used to walk but not alot or anything and I did the program. It wasn't easy but I didn't have to do any of the days over. They said that you should if you need to. But I am still really slow (mostly because I am overweight by 100+ pounds) but I am getting better every time. Every once in awhile I have a bad day but not many.

• movn2day Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 17, 2009
    5. Oct 2, 2009 5:10 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    I'm 56,  on week 5 of C25K... and loving it. I have spent more than 1 week on each week but am okay taking it a little slower. I have to keep in mind that I smoked til I was 50, have osteoporosis and osteoarthritis issues (very early on both). It just feels good to run.
    Aug 2, 2009
    6. Oct 2, 2009 5:12 PM (in response to movn2day)
    That is great Martha!  You are doing great!

Sep 17, 2009
    7. Oct 2, 2009 5:27 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Thanks... reading all the entries has given me a new burst of energy. Just checked out the local running sched and found a couple of 5Ks... one toward the end of Oct and one on Thanksgiving. I'll just go as far as I can.
  • kate_mac Legend 330 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    9. Oct 3, 2009 4:48 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I'm 57, started c25k in June and finished late August. An avid walker, I decided I needed more so started this program. Loved it. This forum helped tremendously. The groups on the threads were like a team - we cheered each other on through the hot and humid summer months. It was amazing. Have been running 3-4 times/week since finishing but miss the schedule and direction of the beginning program. This morning I'm starting a program at a local running store. They offer a beginning program (I think it's the Galloway method), and also the "Next Step", which I'll do. Not that I want to go fast, I do want to be a stronger runner, more consistent. It's a 10 week program ending with a 5k in early December. Also registered for a Thanksgiving race, 4.6 miles, so this should help keep me motivated. Went to a workshop on Thursday for that race where a nutritionist spoke, as well as a PT. The PT was great. Fairly young, ran in college, wife was an All American runner, coaches women's team at UConn so a good resource. He spoke to the newbies, and the rest of us "veterans!" about going further with our running. Came away with good information. Bottom line is that if you run long and slow, you will always run slow. So it's key to incorporate runs with a pace faster than your normal - intervals or full runs. So that is what I'm working on. Have been doing a bit of that and do find that my running is getting steadier. One workout this week was just hills - short workout but strong. Hate them but there's no way around them! Sorry for the long wind - haven't posted to any of my threads in a while so needed to spill it out! Raining now so hoping to get some good advice on how to handle this today. I'll keep you posted.

Kate

Kate in CT

Old Wethersfield 5k ~ 36:00

Blue Back Square 5K Mitten Run (Dec 6, 09) ~ 31:58

Lake Merced Run 4.5 M - San Francisco (Jan 3) ~ 48:30

Baja 5000 5K - (May 2) ~ 36:39

Red Dress for Women (July 10) ~ 36:34

Hartford Marathon Relay (Oct 9) ~ ran the 4th leg (10k)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec. 5) ~ 32:25

Holyoke St. Patrick's 10k (March 19) ~ 1:08:41

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 5) ~ 2:25:13

Old Wethersfield 5k (Nov 2011) 30:40 PR

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 4) ~ 31:09

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Red Dress for Women (July 7) ~ 33:43

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

MxCC Scholarship 5k (Oct, 27) ~ 31:56 (2nd place)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 2) ~ 32.22

Quinnipiac University (CT) Physicians Assistants 5k (Apr 13) ~

Cox Rhode Race 5k Providence (May 11) ~ 32:12

Blum Shapiro 5k Cromwell CT (June 8) ~

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 8)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

Oct 2, 2009
    10. Oct 3, 2009 6:27 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Not quite ready to start the program - need some decent running shoes - any recommendations?
    Aug 2, 2009
    12. Oct 4, 2009 4:03 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I ran 30 minutes and 10 min walking this morning. It was great. I am getting faster slowly but surely.

I am not great on shoes but I would recommend going to a running store and getting fitted. I did it and I love my shoes.

Sep 17, 2009
    13. Oct 4, 2009 4:23 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Donna you are awesome!!!  I look forward to being able to say I ran 30 min. Thank you and everyone on this thread.
1 2 3 ... 126 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...