Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

317477 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Banishing-Bertha Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 130 Previous Next
  • MauraRN Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Oct 24, 2009 7:30 PM (in response to susanbarron)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Susan, I am just beginning too. I am set to quit smoking in 2 days. It will be horrible but this time I will do it. Been smoking for 40years, since I was 12. I am a nurse and know better of course. I am 30 pounds overweight too. But I am going to do this C25K plan, but know that it will take me 3-4 times longer than most. But that's ok, I am planning on life changes, good health and a 5k in June, 2010.

I have read posts from other long time smokers that have done this, so we can do it too!! Post your thoughts and results, I will too.

• GrammaPeanut Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 18, 2009
    106. Oct 25, 2009 3:46 PM (in response to MauraRN)

Maura,

If you are crazy, you are, as the old saying goes, "Crazy like a fox".

I think you are wonderful and an inspiration to all around you!!!!!!!

I am 60 and although I just started running last year I have always done aerobics.

Running is now my thing! I really like it a lot and now my hubby who is 66 is starting the C25k. '

This is great news ! YOu go girl!

Gramma Peanut

Grammas who run - ROCK!

cdbaby.com/cd/carlislelinda

Three grown kids and three grandkids!

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    107. Oct 26, 2009 5:30 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Good Monday Morning!

Well I did it - I ran my first 5K Sunday and it was fantastic! I ran it in Chicago on the lake shore. WOW!! I had two friends and my husband run with me; my husband walked it alongside of me. LOL.  Then another one of our friends ran the 10K. It was sooo good. My pace was faster here and I met my goals; running the entire way and coming in less than 53 minutes (which had been my best time).  I came in 50 min 37 seconds (according to my garmin - haven't seen official time but my friend's garmin said the same).  I can't wait until the next one now.

I was surprised that yesterday I was sore - I have ran/walk 50 min quite a few times but we did have to ride in a minivan with 7 people after the race for about 30 minutes to get back to their house and then in the afternoon, my husband and I had to make the 5 hour trip back home. I was pretty sore last night; just sitting and getting up mainly; but I feel great this morning!

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    108. Oct 26, 2009 6:53 AM (in response to MauraRN)
    thanks maura you are what I needed to hear! I too am a nurse and trying to rid myself of the cigarettes is a battle, please let me know how you are doing with it I can use some inspiration! Where are you at with the c5k? I did day one yesterday and was pleasantly sore but feel good this morning so will be back out there tomorrow! I also do yoga 3-4 times a week, I have been stalled with my weight loss and know that exercise is the missing piece! Keep me up to date with your progress!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    109. Oct 26, 2009 3:18 PM (in response to Donna914)

Way to go, Donna914! Awesome running!

Good luck to Maura and Susan -- it's so worth while. We're all rooting for you.

Robin from Maine

• oldfatdude Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 15, 2009
    110. Oct 26, 2009 3:46 PM (in response to disneygal2)

This is "OLD FAT GUY"

This will be my final post on this thread. I signed up for a Thanksgiving day 10K today !!! Seems appropriate to run my first 10K on Thanksgiving Day doesn't it? I am very Thankful to be able to make this life changing run on Thanksgiving Day !!! After 12 weeks .......At 5' 8" tall and 255 lbs and 56 years old, this was not an easy journey, but I did it inspite of myself ! I was my worst enemy, I told myself over and over again that I can't do this. I had a long list of reasons why I  couldn't complete this program. I have proved them all false .........I AM A RUNNER, I will be an athlete.

Good luck to all you Newbees !!!!! Do this inspite of yourselves!

See Ya in a 5K . John "OLD FAT GUY" Phillips

• Ranji Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 27, 2009
    111. Oct 27, 2009 7:21 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi ,

I am 59 and started on the C25K program about 6 weeks ago.

I quit smoking in March 2009. To improve the odds of staying tobacco free , I decided to work with weights , and military excercises and get ripped.

I went from an okay 70 Kgs to a very fit 71 kgs. I am 5 ft 10 inches tall.

I read about the C25K program about 8 weeks ago. So I bought a new pair of sneakers and a garmin watch / heat monitor and started running.

It is tough . I am currently able to run fo 90 seconds and walk 150 secs .I hope I will get to see the day when I can run 5 Kms non-stop.

On alternate days ( 3 days) I do 5 kms . On other 2 days I do just 2.5 Kms at a fast walking pace and then work out with weights at the gym.I play golf on the 6th day. The 7th day is the dayof the sabbath!

Is this routine okay ? The C25K program states that one should run only 3 to 4 days a week on alternate days.

Could some experts comment on the above.

Many thanks.

Ranjit

• ZenBear Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    112. Oct 27, 2009 11:45 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I am 51 and in week 3 of the program... I am verrrrry slow but I keep chugging along. Running is very hard for me but I truly believe getting fit is vital. I have already run/walked (more walk than run) a few 5ks but now I determined to find the way to run 30 minutes without walking. I use music downloads from Podrunner.com -- their podrunner intervals sets are designed to match the c25k program... and they're free!

"One paw at a time... one in front of the other -- I will move forward."

ZenBear

• Seaside 5k 03/01/2009 43:43
    • Run for Redfish 5k 12/05/2009 40:17
    • Rabbit Run 5k 4/03/2010 41:04
    • Nike Livestrong Beach 5k 10/2/2010 43:28

• StillForest Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 27, 2009
    113. Oct 27, 2009 12:45 PM (in response to whereuendup)

Great to find this thread! I'm 49-and-a-half! Can I come along for the run? ;-) I was doing C25K last spring and then lost my rhythm over the summer while kids were out of school. I'm planning on starting up again later this week. It was wonderful to find this thread... I'm so inspired by your stories and the memories of how much better I felt when I was running regularly. I have a terrible time fitting running into my schedule. Need to find ways to make this a priority.

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    114. Oct 27, 2009 4:48 PM (in response to StillForest)

It occurs to me that most of us almost and over 50 year olds probably grew up walking. Walking to school, home from school, over to a friend's house, to the movies was a fact of life, and even now walking feels close to effortless. Running takes more energy, but it is as natural a means of locomotion for us humans as walking. In some cultures running is part of the daily routine (chasing down antelope, for example),

I think that we are reclaiming our heritage. I notice a real sense of empowerment in the posts on this site.

I would love to think that maybe someday running will feel almost as effortless as walking.

Robin

• Megnetic Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    115. Oct 29, 2009 2:19 PM (in response to RobinfromMaine)

Hi Robin

I look forward to that day too.  On my last run, there was one long, straight section that I have no memory of running!!  Something must have been occupying my thoughts pretty well and certainly managed to push aside the "This is so hard, and I'm so tired!" thoughts!  Maybe distraction is the answer!

Well done Donna!  It's an amazing feeling of achievement, isn't it?  And congratulations on beating your time goal.

Meg

Meg

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    116. Oct 30, 2009 10:53 AM (in response to Megnetic)

YAY! I finished week 1 this morning followed again by my favorite yoga workout...I honestly can not believe I did this...I am 54 haven't jogged in 20 years....and I did it!!!   I am looking forward to sunday when I can start week 2....Maura hope you're still reading the thread we can do this together.....best part is I put the cigarettes down last monday...first time in 29 years since I was pregnant with my son...figured jogging,yoga don't mix with smoking!! Thanks for the inspirationeveryone!!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• janiney2k Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    117. Nov 6, 2009 9:51 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I am starting over again.  I jog/walked, bicycled, and swam during the summer.  18 days after I turned 54 I finished a sprint triathlon.  I was dead last and 1:40 after the first group, but I finished.  I would like to do better, but my runs/walks seem to be as slow as before.  This may help my progress.  I would like to sign up for a 5k soon.  Love this thread and website.

near Lubbock TX

• Megnetic Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    118. Nov 6, 2009 10:15 AM (in response to janiney2k)

Janine, I think you are amazing for entering a sprint triathlon, let alone finishing it!  Well done!

I'm trying to improve my pace, too.  I'm running a 5K on Thanksgiving Day and my main goal is to run all of the way, but I'd like to do it in a reasonable time too.  A reasonable time for me, that is! 

Good luck.  Let us know how you're doing.

Meg

Meg

• RainyDayRun Pro 71 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    119. Nov 6, 2009 10:17 AM (in response to janiney2k)

Just adding my name to the roster. I'm 56 and "graduated" C25K this summer. BUT I've had to go back a few steps. Now my goal is increasing endurance and in order to do that I've begun adding more time to my runs and slowing my pace. The folks on the Penguin Support Thread (Donna914!!) have helped me tremendously. I found it difficult to decide how to proceed - speed or distance - and I think that given my age, slower is better. No injuries at all.

And today, I ran 3.1 miles without taking any walk breaks. I never thought I'd be able to do it. As an adult-onset athlete, I'm pretty darn proud!

-Jenny

Life is short. Running makes it seem longer.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 130 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...