Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

314128 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Susanstrawser RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 130 Previous Next
  • Megnetic Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Nov 6, 2009 10:54 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Hi Rainy

I did C25K using time rather than distance, so now that I'm finished I can run for 30 minutes without walk breaks, but not quite 5K yet (without walk breaks, that is).  I must be a penguin too!

I found this plan to get me up to an hour of running:

http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html

I like it because I think I can do it!

BTW.  I started running just before I turned 55 in June.

Meg

Meg

• Tony713 Amateur 39 posts since
    Jul 30, 2009
    121. Nov 6, 2009 10:58 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Copngrats to all!! Sounds like the work continues.  I have run 2  5ks since completing C25k...and my time is getting better each time.  I have also entered a Turkey Trot 5k for Thanksgiving Day....hoping to reduce my time a little yet.    I figure if I can build up to running somewhere between 4-6 miles at a time....4days per week...I'll heve little trouble in running most 5ks and may have a relatively good time.

• JosieMae Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2009
    122. Nov 6, 2009 12:07 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I'm 52 and this is day 1,week1.  Whew..just jogged and was very slow and no wind. After the 20 minutes, I walked for another hour and when I got home, I felt very happy!  I'm going to stick with this and this forum looks like a great source of support. Yea!

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    123. Nov 6, 2009 1:49 PM (in response to disneygal2)

It is a beautiful sunny fall day here in Louisville so I just got out there and ran 30 minutes; good time for me too. I hope to run both Saturday and Sunday. I am doing better now that I have scaled back my runs to 30 min and one day a week do more. I think I will do the OHR. It might be the right thing for me.

Have a great weekend!

• GrammaPeanut Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 18, 2009
    124. Nov 6, 2009 3:57 PM (in response to Donna914)

I am sooooooo excited about my new Fivefinger running shoes!!!!!

I have run in them 7 times and have cut 6 minutes off my 5k time. Told everyone that if they can do that for these 60 yr old legs ..I just started running last year. Lately my legs had been feeling funky so when I needed some new running shoes I thought I'd give these a try.

...All you new runners will really enjoy how they feel.

It's a bit like having a good musical instrument. If you are learning on a good sounding guitar, fiddle or whatever , you will be incouraged to do more.

They really do make you run correctly - on the front of your foot like you are barefoot. The first time I went out, I realized my legs felt so good and I actually felt like speeding up a bit after the second mile.

When you run with regular running shoes the shock goes from the heal up the leg and hips. With the Fivefingers your run from the front or mid food so the angle of the ankle and knee and hip act like a spring . I just say to myself, "Relax and enjoy". Today I did my 5k  in 32 degrees after a very stressful work day and little sleep. My time was 32 minutes and I was just out there enjoying the run!

So, with all this said, DO check these babies out!

I love them and am so very happy I got them.

Peanut

Grammas who run - ROCK!

cdbaby.com/cd/carlislelinda

Three grown kids and three grandkids!

• fiveandone Amateur 16 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    125. Nov 9, 2009 4:05 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad I found this thread/forum. I just stumbled upon the C25K plan last week, and while googling for running forums with info about it, I found this site.

I'm 54, a grandma, have a sedentary job, and pretty much a couch potato. I do go hiking/walking but not as often as I'd like or should. Anyway, last week I finally decided to dust off  my treadmill and at least start walking which lead me to run for about two minutes and it felt great! Then, I found the C25K plan while googling for forums about beginner runners. I feel it's a perfect way for me to gradually become a runner. I've decided that today is my official start day. My only problem is I have exercise and allergy induced asthma that I've developed about five years ago. Anyway, I won't let that deter me. In the past I've always been one of those people who start gung-ho on something and lose interest before it's completed. I'm determined that this time I will complete the program and go further. Wow, I'm going to need a lot of support on this.

Thank you, everyone, for posting your encouraging stories. Please, don't let this thread die.

• fiveandone Amateur 16 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    127. Nov 10, 2009 5:12 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Thank you Jess!

Yesterday was my W1D1 and I really enjoyed it. It was just a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, but went fast. Probably because I was so busy trying to keep track of when I needed to switch from walking to running and vice versa. Right now I'm doing this on the treadmill so I can use the timer for that. I'm planning to do some of the training outside and am trying to figure out how to time the walk/runs. I've read about the podcasts so I've been listening to some of them to see if I'll like them. I don't usually listen to anything when I'm out walking, I prefer to hear what's going on around me. I'll figure out something though. I'm looking forward to W1D2 tomorrow.

Since winter is coming, how do all of you keep motivated to run in the cold?

• CudaGuy Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 10, 2009
    128. Nov 10, 2009 6:22 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Started C25K 5 weeks ago at age 56, working on week 4 a second time, the second 5 minute run is killing me, any ideas on why? I am a new runner, started as a first effort to get blood pressure down without meds and to get in better shape. I plan on keeping with it, hoping to do a 5K resolution run on old years day. good news is the BP is down by about 25 pts and dropping.

CudaGuy

• never2l8 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 1, 2009
    130. Nov 11, 2009 5:57 AM (in response to fiveandone)

Hi,

I am using the treadmill too.  I just finished W5D2.  Since Sunday was a beautiful day in Maine, I did W5D1 outdoors and used the podcast as my timer.  I like using that because there was no timer to look at.  I have the habit of watching the time when I am on the treadmill.  iam actually in week 8 of this program but i did week 3 for 3 weeks.  I think I tried running too fast for me during W3 and my shins were killing me.  I slowed the running down and breezed thru week four and am very surprised that I have been able to keep up with week 5.  I have never been a runner and I am overweight.  My gaol is to run a 5K in March.  I may push that up to one sooner if there is one in January or February.  I can't imagine running in the freezing temperatures though.  For the most part, I will continue indoors on the treadmill.  I joined a gym and I think the fact that there are other people there is what motivates me to keep it up.

W1 is a distant memory to me and will be to you too.  Keep up the good work and try the podcast especially outdoors.

• TrekkieLianne Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 19, 2008
    131. Nov 11, 2009 6:21 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hey all!

Glad to have found you.  I did C25K last year (using time rather than distance) and did my first 5K on December 14, 2008.  I'm definitely a penguin, and my time was 38:55.  Since then I've done another 5K, an 8K and two 10Ks.  I was surprised that I came in last only once!  I'm currently training for the Disney World half-marathon in January 2010 that I will run/walk.  While many people I know are supportive, some think I'm nuts, but I'm so glad to see there are more of us out here!

I just wanted to say to you all that I'm so proud of all of us for doing something SO ATYPICAL of a lot of folks in our age group.  Keep on rockin!

Run Long & Prosper,
    Lianne

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    132. Nov 12, 2009 1:35 PM (in response to TrekkieLianne)

Hi Everyone! So glad that I found this thread! I am starting the C25K on Monday, Nov. 16th. I will be 57 next month, a grandmother to 4 gorgeous granddaugters and  I have always wanted to run, but I have never seriously tried it. So, I think I will do this now!

I am not exactly a couch potato, as I exercising with walking 5 mi 2-3 times a week and lifting weights for several years now. I need a challenge and I think that learning to run will be that challenge! I have a sedentary job, but am active with my fitness and I also play alot of golf. I ran sprints when I was younger, but have never tried endurance running. The main reason that I have never ran is because my ankles start hurting after a short distance. Anyone have any idea why this may be? I think good running shoes would really help.

I am going to need all the help, support and motivation I can get to do this! But, I know I can do it!

Mimi

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• kate_mac Legend 330 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    134. Nov 12, 2009 4:59 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi all,

Chugging along. Really enjoying the weekly running group. Ran 3.5 miles Tues. night. Finding that 3 miles is becoming easier and easier. Doesn't seem nearly as far as I used to think it was - when I started c25k in June I trained by time. The thought of mileage was scarry. Now I don't even look at the time. Ran again tonight (this is new for me, a long time lover of morning walks/runs) - ran 2.25 miles but pushed my pace.  I'm improving - average pace was closer to 11. Not sure I can keep it up for an entire 5k but I'm working on it. The running group increases mileage by .25mile each week so by my Thanksgiving race (just under 5) I should be right on track. Then two weeks later we run a local 5k Holiday race together.

One of the best pieces of advice I got during the program was regarding finishing the run. Often felt I couldn't do the 20 minutes or the 23 minutes straight. But someone said there was no reason to stop, that you really just need to tell yourself to keep going. I've talked myself into sticking with the run so many times, early into the run. Once I get past a certain point it doesn't seem to matter. I'm enjoying this more and more. Looking forward to the challenge of making it through the winter and running many 5ks in the spring.

Kate  

Kate in CT

Old Wethersfield 5k ~ 36:00

Blue Back Square 5K Mitten Run (Dec 6, 09) ~ 31:58

Lake Merced Run 4.5 M - San Francisco (Jan 3) ~ 48:30

Baja 5000 5K - (May 2) ~ 36:39

Red Dress for Women (July 10) ~ 36:34

Hartford Marathon Relay (Oct 9) ~ ran the 4th leg (10k)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec. 5) ~ 32:25

Holyoke St. Patrick's 10k (March 19) ~ 1:08:41

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 5) ~ 2:25:13

Old Wethersfield 5k (Nov 2011) 30:40 PR

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 4) ~ 31:09

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Red Dress for Women (July 7) ~ 33:43

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

MxCC Scholarship 5k (Oct, 27) ~ 31:56 (2nd place)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 2) ~ 32.22

Quinnipiac University (CT) Physicians Assistants 5k (Apr 13) ~

Cox Rhode Race 5k Providence (May 11) ~ 32:12

Blum Shapiro 5k Cromwell CT (June 8) ~

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 8)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 130 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...