Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

313447 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Susanstrawser RSS Go to original post 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 ... 130 Previous Next
  • pgburt Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,830. Aug 2, 2010 8:26 AM (in response to donnamacd)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Been out of town for a week, but still ran every other day. In fact, I had the pleasure of running in 68 degree temp in the mornings! It was a very pleasant change of pace. This is in contrast to the 80+ degree mornings I'm used to here in AR. We're home now and it has been in the 100's during the day, so NO RUNNING except during the early hours of the day.

I finally am signed up for my first 5-K race on Aug. 21, so wish me luck! I am not going to be too worried about speed, just want to make sure I finish the race. Once I have one race under my belt, I'll work on increasing speed. I have been running it around 35-36 minutes, just pushing a little more. It may depend a lot on whether there are any hills on the course. But, at any rate, I'm excited to be signed up and looking forward to race day.

PG Burt

Started C25K May 18, 2010

Graduated C25K program July 16, 2010

First 5K Race Aug 21, 2010 "Run With The Son"

Little Rock, AR    30:19:66

• torunagn Legend 325 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    1,831. Aug 2, 2010 8:52 AM (in response to fitphyl)

fitphyl - just wanted to touch base.  Were you able to start the C25K program on 8/1 as you hoped to?  Hope so.  Keep posting when you start.  It will help keep you motivated and it will motivate others as well.

pgburt - congrats on running even when you were out town.  Lots of people (myself included) have a hard time doing that.  Of couse, 68 degrees sounds really nice too.  Glad to hear you are signed up for your first 5K; that is a milestone.  Enjoy the experience.  For a lot of 5Ks, especially if it is not the first year for the race, you can find the course map on line.  If it's in your area, check it out.  If you find hills and you do not normally run hills, maybe you could run the course, or at least the hills, a time or two before the race as part of your every other day running.

C25K Completed 05/05/10

2011 Races: 5K - 1/16/11 - 33:40; 5K - 1/30/11 - 32:02; 2/12/11 - 5 Mile - 58:07; 2/27/11 - 5K - 32:54; 3/19/11 - 5K - 32:29

2010 Races: 5K - 12/31/10 - 32:53; 5K - 11/28/10 - 32:19; 5K - 8/14/10 - 32:57; 4 Mile - 7/4/10 - 44:58; 5K - 6/23/10 - 33:28; 5K - 6/5/10 - 33:12

• allgirlsdad Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 4, 2010
    1,832. Aug 2, 2010 9:05 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Week 6 Day 1 this morning.  At 5:30ish it was 80 degrees and 80% humidity.  The whole morning seemed to be out of sync.  But I got through it although at 11:00, as I type this, I'm still recovering.  Weather forecasts don't look promising for Wednesday morning either.  Oh well, I'll do what I can do...

68 degree weather!!  Oh boy would I love to feel a little of that right now.  They are forecasting a high of 105 today with a heat index of 115.  Now that's hot...

Someone please tell me it's gonna get better!?!?!?!? 

• pgburt Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    1,833. Aug 2, 2010 9:09 AM (in response to torunagn)

Thanks for the advise. I will have to check it out and see if I can find the course listed on-line. It said it was a "fast course" so I am guessing, maybe, no hills! But, we'll see...  Doesn't really matter, because I am used to running with hills. The race doesn't start until 8am and I'm used to running around 6:30am, so it may be a lot hotter by that time of the morning. SHADE will be the biggest issue. I hope we have some. Bring on the hills, but PLEASE give me the SHADE!

PG Burt

Started C25K May 18, 2010

Graduated C25K program July 16, 2010

First 5K Race Aug 21, 2010 "Run With The Son"

Little Rock, AR    30:19:66

• ColoradoKathy Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    1,834. Aug 2, 2010 9:45 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I am 51 and have never been a runner until I started this program.  I started in June, but am still only trying to finish week 5.  That 20 minute run is killing me!  But I'm determined to stick with it, and run a 5K with my 16 year old daughter at the end of August!  The heat has been a problem this summer, but I do have access to an indoor track which has helped.  My biggest issue has been a persistent injury to my calf or maybe it's my achilles, not sure.  I'm ok on the walk, then about 3-5 minutes into my first run it starts stiffening up and becomes painful.  It doesn't seem to get worse the longer I run, so I'm trying to work through it.  Interestingly, I ran on a treadmill one day and didn't have any problems with it.  Any thoughts/tips are greatly appreciated!

• fitphyl Amateur 8 posts since
    Apr 29, 2009
    1,835. Aug 2, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to torunagn)

Yes I did do W1D1 last night as a matter of fact.  It was harder than I remembered.  But the first time (when I did only 2 weeks and had to quit due to job) I ran on the treadmill.  I tried running outside last night - much tougher than a treadmill.  May have to go back to treadmill.  Thanks for the support!  I am going to need it.  I CAN DO THIS!

• torunagn Legend 325 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    1,836. Aug 2, 2010 1:33 PM (in response to allgirlsdad)

allgirlsdad - that's way too hot. All I can say is stay hydrated.  The heat will pass and then we will complain that it's too cold.

pgburt - if you are used to the hills, no worries.  And your are right, usually "fast course" means flattish.  It's sounds really strange, but I find that by wearing sun glasses, I feel a little cooler, maybe because the sun isn't beating in my eyes.  Don't know if you are wearing sunglasses at 6:30 a.m. when you run, so if you plan to wear them for the race, run in them a few times to make sure they don't slide down your nose when you get sweaty.  I find that occasionally, my sunglasses fog up a little because my face gets really warm when I run.  If I just pull them off and put them back on, they unfog quickly.

coloradokathy - are you doing some gentle stretches  after you run?  You might find some calf stretches helpful.  I have some kind of persistent calf pain also, but it is up high, closer to the back of my knee.  Be careful with that, especially if it is achillies tendon.  That can be kind of tricky to get rid of and unfortunately, rest, is the recommendation.

fitphyl - congrats on W1D1 and many people do find running outdoors harder than running on the TM.  Don't be discouraged.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  If your ultimate goal is to run outside, I would recommend doing at least some of your running outdoors.  It makes the transition easier.

Good running.

C25K Completed 05/05/10

2011 Races: 5K - 1/16/11 - 33:40; 5K - 1/30/11 - 32:02; 2/12/11 - 5 Mile - 58:07; 2/27/11 - 5K - 32:54; 3/19/11 - 5K - 32:29

2010 Races: 5K - 12/31/10 - 32:53; 5K - 11/28/10 - 32:19; 5K - 8/14/10 - 32:57; 4 Mile - 7/4/10 - 44:58; 5K - 6/23/10 - 33:28; 5K - 6/5/10 - 33:12

• hfbowes Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 17, 2009
    1,837. Aug 2, 2010 6:40 PM (in response to disneygal2)

hfb demure.JPGI love this question! I am 53, going on 54 and started running again last June. I've done a few 5K's and two 10K's. I really enjoy running. I am thinking of running the CIM this year. I have never run this far; I feel nervous just saying that I want to run 25 miles!  Whoa. I'd love to be part of this thread. Are you training for this? I don't care how long it takes me, I just want to finish. I'd love to hear your ideas. H

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,838. Aug 3, 2010 7:45 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I'm on the high side of 60 and resumed running three years ago after a pacemaker implant.  I should have done a training program before my first 5K, but I did well enough on my own that I've continued.  I recommend you join a running club and make some new friends.  They will have scheduled group runs that you can make a part of your regular plans.  Don't worry, you won't be the slowest one there.  I also endorse the comment about going to a running store and being properly fitted for your shoes.  I found that changing them every 400 miles is another good way to reduce your chance of injury.

The key to all of this is to stay with the plan.  You will have times that you think "I can't do this"; don't let that defeat you.  You'll be amazed at how quickly your endurance will improve if you stay with it and those negative feelings will be long gone.  Then you'll be the one doing the encouraging. 

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Mar 17, 2009
    1,839. Aug 3, 2010 7:54 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Thank you for that encouragement. I needed to hear that. Since I spoke the words, "I think I'll run the CA marathon" I have felt like backing out on those words. Is my body going to revolt?

I buy new runners every 6 months right now. I don't know the mileage on them. I run 10-20 miles a week right now...I'll do the math later.

Do I train for this marathon or just run/walk it?  I know I won't be able to run the entire thing, I'm no athlete...just a runner for fitness.

Will I hurt myself? Will I be able to recover? These are my anxieties. H

• ColoradoKathy Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    1,840. Aug 3, 2010 8:23 AM (in response to torunagn)

Yay! I completed W5D3 yesterday with no pain!  However, I did it on the treadmill instead of outside or on the track. I'm wondering why that makes a difference in my calf pain?  Is my stride different/shorter?  It does seem a bit easier to run on the treadmill, but I don't feel like that's really preparing me to run a 5K outside! 

Thanks for the stretching tips, I have been stretching before and after, but perhaps not enough!

• Oz#2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    1,841. Aug 3, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi all,

Here I sit at 62, overweight and out of shape.  I have decided to restart the C25K- again.  I ran for some 20 years, in 5k and 10k races, some with my kids, but always ran.  Averaged about 5 miles/day 4 to 5 days/week.  About 6 yrs ago I managed to tear my ham and have not been able to get back at it.  I would try but would have pain and stopped.  I am convinced that I need to run through some of the pain but it gets more difficult as I get older.  I ran about a mile this morning with my dogs, and remembered how good I used to feel after a really good run.  Sort of an "all systems are Go" kind of feeling.  This seems like a good and supportive group.  Hopefully I can make this journey with all of you and be successful this time.

Cheers,

Oz

Mar 17, 2009
    1,842. Aug 3, 2010 9:13 AM (in response to Oz#2)

Wow, I love your post Oz. Good for you! I feel excited for you. I think your enthusiasm to start again is exhilarating. I would enjoy keeping up with you and your progress. I am nervous to do this. I've run 2 10K's and a few 5K's in one year; starting running last year on June 23rd. I can't believe it sometimes and yet I feel like 'there is no way I can run this marathon'. If we encourage eachother on this blog, we can all do it. H

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    1,843. Aug 3, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to Oz#2)

Hello runners!

Welcome OZ - Funny you should mention pain .  I was went out for a fun run Saturday because I couldn't bear the thought of the TM.  I usually run a paved bike path in the park but thought I'd try a different route, go through the park on grass and then hit side streets.  Mistake for me!  It was rutted, uneven and hazardous.  Funny it doesn't look that way when you drive by.  By the time I got to the pavement, I was having calf and knee pain that kept getting worse.  So I ended up walking home.  I really think the pain issue I have is because I need new shoes.  I went to the running store Saturday afternoon and made sure I was buying the right shoes then ordered a new pair.  They are not here yet.  Attempted W6D1 on the TM today and had pain in the knee area, plus I just couldn't get my stride and gait right.  So I went outside for the last 5 minute run.  I iced for 5 minutes during cool down, then Bengayed it after my shower.  Not too bad right now, just a touch stiff, I think it's my shoes cause the pain can move around.  ANYWAY - where I was going with this is, I read alot of the other blogs to get information and all kinds of running advice.  Saw a mention of "Self Myofacial Release" and googled it.  Have you heard about it?  It's like self message to relieve pain with a foam tube.  I called my nephew who's a Sports Therapist and he said it really works.  They use it on athletes all the time, and he has done it himself.  So when you said hamstring pain - that's one of the examples on google.  (Sorry for going so far around the block here).

H - Welcome also.  Wow, you done so well and so much, I'm sure you can do the marathon.  I second following a training program though to get you prepared.

Allgirlsdad - Yeah for you!  I hope to catch up shortly.

Fitphyl - Congratulations on your start.  The first step is always the hardest!

SteveBikeRun - Please keep posting as I'm sure I for one could benefit from your experience.

Have a wonderful day!

Melinda

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,844. Aug 3, 2010 4:59 PM (in response to hfbowes)

HF:  I'm going to temper my encouragement with a word of caution.  Are you sure you want to jump from a 10K to a full marathon without doing one or two 20Ks or half marathons first?  I'm not speaking from experience as I have done some HMs but have no desire to do a full marathon.  Regardless of the distance, 13.1 or 26.2, your body will be stressed far more than in a 10K and you must train it over a period of several months with small incremental increases in distance (hence my suggestion to do some HMs first).  If you don't ramp up slowly and include ample rest days, you can almost guarantee yourself some sort of injury.  Jeff Galloway has a monthly column in Runners World magazine for beginners.  He stresses the run/walk approach and I strongly urge you to follow it.

At 15 miles average per week, you would get new shoes at 26-27 weeks, so your timetable seems right to me.  Ask your running store to be sure.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...