Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20509 Views 122 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2009 12:52 PM by Jasmine1972 1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next
CarrieNixon Pro 119 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2009 5:13 PM

200lbs+ C25K  Oct. 5-11

Hey guys,

I'm going to make a corporate decision, and try a weekly thread again.  I know for myself, I have lost interest in the daily thread, so going to try this once more.  If anyone wants to start a daily one, I'd love to contribute and post and support you, I just find it too hard to follow.

AFatManRunning:  My husband and I were just talking about you, and he called you "AFitManRunning" by mistake..... sounds good, eh?    That's what you are now, running 20 mins like it's nobody's business!

I forget how to copy and paste, so if anyone has some energy, please post the C25k web address.

I didn't do much this week at all... ate bad on the weekend... so doing week 3 this week again, since I only did day 1.

Have a good week!!!!

And congrats to Fluffy and whoever did the Run for the Cure!  You guys ROCK!

Visit my blog @ www.adayinthelifeofcarrien.blogspot.com

WEEK  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Began September 7, 2009

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Oct 4, 2009 5:32 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)
    Re: 200lbs+ C25K Oct. 5-11

Sounds like the weekly thread fits most of our schedules better.  I love the new name "AFitManRunning and MrsAFitManRunning".

Congratulations to everyone that ran a race this weekend and to everyone that even got out there this weekend and ran!

I have been running easier and a little faster every time. I was out there 40 minutes this morning and it felt great; total time was the fastest I have gone and I ran some 10 minute laps at 15.5 which is great for me.

• JaxAMDG Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2009
    2. Oct 4, 2009 7:22 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Hey!  I'm beginning W1D1 tomorrow (10/5).  I'm 27, 230+ and 5' 7" and a mama to 2 (5yrs. & 6mos.)  I've never run before so I'm thinking it'll probably take more than 9 weeks, but I'm going to try to take it 1 week at a time.  I'm in good health, but I don't know how long that'll last.  I've been keeping a food diary for the past month and walking or rowing ~3x/wk.  Learning to run is part of my "lifestyle change" plan, so I figured this was probably the best way to go about it.  Starting out is always exciting, but I'm a bit nervous, too, since I've had so many failures in the recent past.

My 5-y-o loves to run and my hubby runs, and I really want to be able to keep up with them.  Also, I want to set a good example for the kids so they develop good habits early in life.

Ultimate goal:  Increased energy

Sub-goals: learn how to run so I don't get injured, lose weight, set a good example, finish something that I start

• MugsyMac Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Oct 4, 2009 7:55 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Hi everyone,

I figured I would post in the 200lbs + section since I hadn't before and definitely fit that category.

Some stats on me: I started losing weight/changing my eating habits/making a new lifestyle change on 8/17/09. I started with having 150lbs to lose. So, 7 weeks into it and I'm very happy with how I've progressed. I've lost 17lbs so far, I walk almost everyday, started C25K and completed W2D2 and did a 5k walk today. All good stuff. I feel a heck of a lot better.

Regarding the losing weight, that was hard the first few weeks in the sense of the temptations and the desire to go back to eating larger portions and crappy food but it's gotten easier as time has gone by. No, I haven't lost the weight as fast since that first couple of weeks but from what I've read, the beginning weight loss is water weight which usually comes off quickly. The harder part is continuing past that and staying strong mentally and consistent. The key to my well-being and sanity as well, was having my fiance' hide the scale. I was weighing myself everyday and having the numbers on the scale decide how my day was going to be. Not good. Now I weigh myself once per week at work because we are doing a Biggest Loser contest.

Carrie asked that someone post the C25K link so here it is:  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I hope everyone has a great night and finds strength to accomplish all of your goals.

-Megan

Stuff About Me:

5/2/11 RNY Gastric Bypass surgery (the day my life changed forever!)

Completed Races:

9/18/11 Saratoga Palio (my first 5k)

10/2/11 The ROC 5k Run

10/22/11 The Great Pumpkin 5k

Upcoming Races:

5/5/13 Twin Lights Half Marathon

• TransplantedPotato Expert 52 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009
    4. Oct 5, 2009 7:13 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Fantastic! I was JUST logging in to write on the daily thread that I thought we should go back to weekly! Way to be on top of it, Carrie!

I WISH I had run a race or done *anything* this weekend. After about 20 hours spent on the computer working on my thesis, I am feeling fit to burst with anxious energy. My legs are super stiff and I feel drained and worn out. I can't wait for my run tomorrow morning. Ugh. I hate how just sitting around makes me feel soooo worn out!

Hi *Megan and Jackie*! Good luck with the run tomorrow...starting at all is such a huge victory! You'll be amazed with how quickly you see changes! It seems for most posters here the weight is a bit slow to drop off (running burns quite a few calories, especially for those of us with a bit extra to lug around but not quite that many!) so don't let that get you down. Instead, pay close attention to how your clothes fit and especially to how your energy levels change. That's what floored me...just a couple weeks into the program and I had three times as much energy as normal! I mean, I've gone from a total night-owl student to one of the crazy people you hear about who wakes up at 5 a.m. to get a run in and on my off days I STILL get up at 5 and get all sorts of stuff done! The victories are huge and worth celebrating and that's what this forum is here for...to celebrate every step of this lifestyle change with you! So get out there and get running and report back!

Looking forward to another week of support from you all! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening!

We are always running for the thrill of it thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it
    On and on and on we are calling out and out again
    Never looking down I’m just in awe of what’s in front of me

-"Walking on a Dream", Empire of the Sun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graduated C25k: 10/28/09

One Hour Runner: Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courage, trust, and relentless forward motion.

Aug 2, 2009
    5. Oct 5, 2009 3:36 AM (in response to JaxAMDG)
    Jackie; Congratulations on starting the program! You will love it and your energy will increase. A day at a time is a good goal.

Aug 2, 2009
    6. Oct 5, 2009 3:41 AM (in response to MugsyMac)
    Megan; Congratulations!!! You are doing it!! I know I feel better every week since I started. Your story is inspiring!

Aug 2, 2009
    7. Oct 5, 2009 3:44 AM (in response to TransplantedPotato)
    Hi TransplatedPotato; what are you studying that you are working on your thesis?  I am working on my MBA.  I also wake up early and think about running. Last night I woke up at 3 and couldn't go back to sleep and thought I should go run but then I didn't. I don't like the dark so much even though when I run at 6:30 it is dark but it gets lighter as I run. I can't wait until the time changes.

• ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    8. Oct 5, 2009 6:17 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Hey guys!

It's been a few days since I've been able to post.  The "reply" button has been missing on my end of the forum since maybe Saturday.

Yesterday I did W4D2 with my brother.  The weather was G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S and we of course ran along the riverfront.  The first 3 and 5 minute runs were a piece of cake, but the second sets were a little tougher mainly because my feet started to hurt.  My lungs were having no trouble keeping up, which was great because I remember when I first started running....even before C25K (about 2 weeks before I started it)....my chest would heave like I had been under water for longer than I could handle.  Now my body just chooses a comfortable pace and sticks with it.  When he called the end of the first 5 minutes, I was like "is that it?".  I know I could have gone on longer.  Week 5 looks to be like a great challenge.  Not great as in "too big", but great as in "welcomed".

I just found out too that the YWCA I just started going back to is having a special on memberships from Oct1-Dec31, so I'll save $63 if I sign up for all three months.  Makes me happy to see that!

Well I'm having a guest in an hour or so so I should go straighten up.  Happy running!

Blog
    Website

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    9. Oct 5, 2009 6:29 AM (in response to ovenfried)

Morning Glories!! Ahh the "Reply" button is back.  I couldn't post Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

Jackie and Megan Congrats on starting the program.  I repeated Week1 about 4 times before I moved on and then took a break in Week 7 to prepare for my first 5K...so you just take as long as you need.  Correction:  I did WEek 1, then was scared to conitinue to Week 2 so I quit the program...several times. I graduated in August.  THis week I was suppose to start Gateway to 8K but I have a bum ankle.

So after my 5K, I walked around for blocks and blocks to see all the things the event has to offer.  I am going to have to upload a picture of all the goodies I received.  Sometimes I had to run around to find members of the group.  IT was all good. Then on the way to the car, I twisted my ankle.  I didn't think much of it at the time but by Saturday evening my ankle was swollen and sore.  I can walk on it but I have to watch the pressure I put on it or I get this severe pain for a split second

Mrs. F   I read how you wanted to run on your off day!  You go girl, you are getting the running bug and becoming an addict!!

If you have not signed up for a 5K ( and yes I am talking to Jackie and Megan also,   Please go to my blog and read my most recent post.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    10. Oct 5, 2009 6:31 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Megan.....Welcome!  My favorite quote from your post is "I feel a heck of a lot better."  I think the "heck of" is the main part I like the most, because I totally agree with you on that!  I'm on Week 4 now and it amazes me how I don't have such drastic energy highs and lows.  I feel myself wanting to move more than wanting to sit.

TransplantedPotato.....My favorite quote from your post is "I hate how just sitting around makes me feel sooo worn out!"  I have a feeling that will really hit in the winter when it's raining ice and I can't go out and run!  I feel so fortunate to have a gym so close to me (I can walk there in 2 minutes max).  I have a feeling that some of us who do not belong will start joining so they can keep up the program when the snow hits the fan.

Jackie.....Welcome to you too!  I think it's so great that you have a built-in support system with your kids and husband.  That is so important, and I think you will ace this program because of it!

Have a great day, all!

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

Sep 6, 2009
    11. Oct 5, 2009 7:42 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Well good morning everybody!

I completed Week 7 today (it's weird being off a day on my schedule...I'm so used to completing weeks on Fridays). After my incredibly long weekend of computer-ing, my body was excited to get out. Actually, it might have been a bit too excited! A few minutes into my workout I noticed I was a little farther along the trail than normal and then I actually paid attention to my pace (go figure) and realized I was going a bit faster than normal. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do the whole 25 minutes, but I decided to go for it at the faster pace just to see how far I'd get. Well, I did it all! I even finished that last minute when my podcast cue announced it at a dead sprint. It felt so good! I've had such blah runs lately that it was fantastic to get that little-kid-flying-down-a-hill sensation back!

Donna, I'm actually just working on an undergraduate thesis (why did I agree to this madness again?!)...I'm getting concurrent degrees in Museum Studies and Anthropology and am writing my thesis on folk parks/living history museums in Ireland (I studied abroad there all last year doing research).

Ovenfried, it's soooo true about the whole not being active makes you more tired thing. I spend most of my day at work producing copy and working on a computer and then when I'm not at work or in classes, I'm doing homework which involves even MORE time spent on the computer writing. Ugh. Nothing saps my energy faster than typing away for hours. I'm so glad I decided to start C25K this summer (especially since now it's a habit rather than an experiment and, therefore, MUCH easier to get up and do every other morning)...I don't know how I did everything in a day before when I had so much less energy!

Have a fantastic Monday, all! I can't wait to read your progress!

Sep 6, 2009
    12. Oct 5, 2009 8:05 AM (in response to TransplantedPotato)
    Oh my goodness you guys! I just logged today's run on dailymile.com (I really love that site...I can't afford a GPS or Nike+ or anything like that right now so I just have to get by with my hefty old iPod brick and that website!) and I went about a tenth of a mile farther than normal AND shaved a minute off my average pace (from a 13:13mm to 12:10)! Holy cats! Talk about a good run! Wishing the same to all of you!

Aug 2, 2009
    13. Oct 5, 2009 8:07 AM (in response to TransplantedPotato)

That is awesome!!! TransplantedPotato!

Your travels to Ireland are very interesting; and your majors are too! Not boring math degree and MBA like mine.

• babeinthewoods Expert 54 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    14. Oct 5, 2009 9:11 AM (in response to TransplantedPotato)

TransplantedPotato how exciting when a run feels that good! Those are the days when I say "I love running." It just is such an overall great feeling of accomplishment. Good for you!

Fluffy I'm glad you had a good time at your run, even though your daughter couldn't make it. Hopefully her friends had a good time, also. I'm sorry to hear about your twisted ankle. That's a huge bummer that only time will resolve.

10/03/09  - GVSU family 5K - 41:25

11/26/09 - Turkey Trot 5K - 40:07

12/05/09 - YMCA Jingle Bell 5K - 40:05

12/13/09 - Jingle Bell Run 5K -

TRAINING PROGRAMS

One Hour Runner started 11/13/09

C25K started 8/30/09 finished 11/20/09

1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...