Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1531 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2009 5:44 PM by cpa0217 RSS
Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
Aug 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2009 8:36 PM

Garmin Forerunner 205 vs 405

I am looking at both of these items and wanted to get opinions from those using them.  I know the main difference is that the 405 has a HRM, but I am not conviced that is something that I will use on a regular basis.  Since I do not have one already, I have worked on doing my workouts without focusing on that aspect, so I am not sure if I will use it.

What do you like best / worst about the items?

Thanks for your help!

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• RL Loving Pro 138 posts since
    Aug 23, 2008
    1. Oct 16, 2009 5:45 AM (in response to Ericd3043)
    Re: Garmin Forerunner 205 vs 405

The information.  Pace.  Distance.  Average Pace.  Lap Time.

As long as you get the info you want/need  ...  the rest is just personal preference.

I have the 405.  I like it.  Occasionally I use the HRM.

• cpa0217 Pro 79 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    2. Oct 16, 2009 5:44 PM (in response to Ericd3043)
    Re: Garmin Forerunner 205 vs 405

I have been using the 205 for over two years.  At the time I got it, the 405 was just a rumor.  However, the 305 was available with the HRM.  When deciding between the 205 & 305, I was just honest with myself.  I knew that I absolutely would not use the HRM often enough that it would have been worth the extra money to get it.  The 205 does everything I need it to do (pace, time, distance, splits, approximate calories burned, changes in elevation, etc).

I would say that unless you intend to use the HRM on a regular basis, the 205 will probably do the job for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points