Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1898 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2009 4:08 AM by Kickboxrunnergrl RSS
amanda2387 Rookie 5 posts since
Sep 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2009 5:03 PM

Running in the wind, rain and cold?

Hey everyone!  I started running about 7 months ago and now I love it.  I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon which is this sunday.  I checked the weather and its suppose to be cold rainy and windy and the marathon takes place on the jersey shore.  I am still going to do it no matter what the weather because I am very determined.  I have run outside but not in the rain or on the water in the rain.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to run in the rain?  Like what to wear?  I know layers would be best but what about my head?  I am not really a cold weathered person.  I will probably have more questions in the future!  Thanks everyone!

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    1. Oct 16, 2009 9:36 PM (in response to amanda2387)
    Re: Running in the wind, rain and cold?
    I live in a cold, dry climate, so I'm more experienced with cold than rain. Yes, layers (in a wicking fabric, not cotton) that you can take off easily if you get too warm, like a lightweight breathable rain jacket that you can tie around your waist. On the occasion that I run in the rain I just wear a breathable cap (baseball-style with a bill, but meshlike fabric for the cap part). But for cold and/or windy weather, I can't live without a light fleece earband. Sometimes I wear the headband over the hat, but rarely. Lightweight gloves too -- the earband and gloves can be stuffed in a pocket if you get warm. You should be too chilly before you start - don't overdress. Lots of people cut armholes in a big garbage bag while waiting for the race to start. It holds in heat and keeps the rain off, and you can toss it (usually they'll have a garbage bin or something) when you get going. I also can't run in the cold without a few tissues in my pocket. Best of luck! Cool weather can be your savior in a race, so don't let it freak you out.
  • Kickboxrunnergrl Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 17, 2009
    2. Oct 17, 2009 4:08 AM (in response to dfitz*)
    Re: Running in the wind, rain and cold?
    Probably the biggest thing is to make sure you have moisture wicking socks so that if/when your feet get wet, your socks don't rub and cause blisters.  That can happen even if you sweat a lot, but especially if your feet get soaked in the rain, there's more chance of that.  Maybe tuck a little tube of body glide or little package of moleskin in your pocket in case you start to feel rubbing and you can quickly stop and put some on if your feet are starting to get friction.  I've walked and run a lot in damp climate and that's what will make you the most miserable.  The tip about the hat was good too--to keep the rain out of your eyes in case it is really wet.  Other than that, it will probably help keep you cool and once you get going, will be a big help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points