Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6900 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2009 8:42 AM by mljsher RSS
amanda2387 Rookie 5 posts since
Sep 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2009 7:15 AM

When to start running again after 1/2 marathon?

HEY EVERYONE!  I just completed my first 1/2 marathon on sunday.  2hrs and 16 min.!  Go me!  Anyways, I was looking for some advice as to when I should start running again.  I usually run about 4 days a week but after the marathon, I was sore so I was going to take some time off from running and let my body heal a bit.  How long do you usually take off after something like that?  Or is it based on how you feel?  Any advice would be greatly apperciated!!  Thanks!
  • RB67 Legend 233 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    1. Oct 21, 2009 9:49 AM (in response to amanda2387)
    Re: When to start running again after 1/2 marathon?
    Amanda - Congratulations on your first 1/2.  I just completed my first a week ago.  I did a short, 2mile, slow recovery run the next day and it helped me.  I did my regular run on Thursday, 5m, and it felt great, but all of my runs since have been lacking a bit.  I probably should have taken a little more time and eased back a little more.  Get your rest and don't push it the first week.  Your body will probably respond a bit better than mine that way.  Have you picked your next race yet?

You rarely regret the runs you do; you almost always regret the runs you skip

Upcoming:

• 03/27/2010 Feed the Need 5k 25:58
    • 04/11/2010 Cohasset 10k 54:46
    • 04/18/2010 BAA 5k 25:48
    • 05/30/2010 Run to Remember 1/2 2:03:24
    • 06/13/2010 Devanna 5k challenge 24:26

Completed:

• 11/08/2009 - Luv2Run 5k 23:52
    • 10/25/2009 - Canton Fall Clasic 10k 52:30
    • 10/11/2009 BAA 1/2 Marathon 1:53:46
    • 09/17/2009 Thomsons Island 4k trail run 20:24
  • tatcat99 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    3. Oct 21, 2009 12:27 PM (in response to amanda2387)

Hi -

I ran my first half-marathon in the spring and didn't run again for a month afterward (!) b/c it took quite a physical and mental toll on me.  But then I started running again with a more effective training plan and just ran my second half-marathon on October 4th.  I felt terrific afterward and only took off about 3 days for some very minor soreness.  So I think you really just have to listen to what your mind and body are telling you

• Casey Simpson Rookie 2 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    4. Oct 24, 2009 4:32 AM (in response to amanda2387)
    Hey!  I just ran my first half (Baltimore Marathon) and I also finished in 2:16!  I was pretty proud of that finish, and congrats to you as well!   The race was on a Saturday, and I didn't run again until the following Thursday.  I actually had an issue with blisters on the tip of two toes after the race, and even Thursday they were still bothering me a bit, so I only did 4 miles.  Then I was back to my normal routine by the weekend (6-7 per day).  So what's your next race?
  • spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    5. Oct 24, 2009 7:11 AM (in response to amanda2387)

it is based on how you feel - after my first half ( 2:5 finish ) I took one day rest - then biked the next day - I think I lifted weights the day after that and then started running again - maybe just 3 miles. Play ot by ear - if you feel really fatigued - rest another day - I know by the week after I was full force back on my regular training schedule

my last half 1:54 finish I got up the next morning and ran 4 miles

Your ability to recover depends on how you trained both running and resistance / cross training - and your nutrition

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• hushpad Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Oct 24, 2009 8:09 AM (in response to amanda2387)
    Congrats on your half marathon. The amount of rest all depends on your training.  overall fitness level and how you feel..For example, elite runners are running the next day, if not later in the day as well!. If you are running consistently on a daily basis and doing 3-7 miles a day you wouldn't need as much rest as someone who runs two days a week and does 3 miles a day.. Maybe just taking off a day is enough. If you feel sore, it's best to ease back into training by starting out with a couple miles and work back up to your normal mileage. Some people take a week off, some people take a couple days.Just listen to your body. You can always start out walking and build up to running after a few days.
  • cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    7. Oct 25, 2009 4:26 PM (in response to amanda2387)
    I also did my first HM last weekend and took 3 days off and then back to my normal plan on Thursday.  I also ran an 8 yesterday and 10 today.  Feel fine.  Besides I've got the next one to get ready for!

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• fredfromsj Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    8. Oct 26, 2009 12:45 AM (in response to amanda2387)

Hi Amanda,

Congrats on your achievement.  My advise may be different from others.  I committed myself to running 13 marathons this year fund raising for Lance Armstrong Foundation's fight against cancer.  That means I need to recover quickly if I am to run a marathon every 4 weeks.  My routine is to take a ice or cold bath for my legs after the race.  This will help to cool down my muscles and prevent excess blood flow.  I would stretch for 1/2 hour before taking shower.  The next day, even though my muscles are sore, I would ride a bike or swim for 1/2 hour, and stretch for 1/2 hour in the morning.  This tends to get rid of lactic acid build up from the race.  In the afternoon or evening, I would light jog a mile or two, depending on how I feel.  On the second day, I would get back to training routine at 50 - 75% pace.

This routine may be too aggressive for you since this was your first 1/2 marathon.  The point is to get back to your training schedule as soon as possible so you are building up strength and endurance.  When you can shorten the time between event and first recovery run, you will see better result in your next endurance event.  Great job and keep up the good work!

Fred Lin

Please visit my fund raising page at www.fredlin.com and donate towards my effort for Lance Armstrong Foundation's fight against cancer!

• mljsher Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 20, 2007
    9. Oct 26, 2009 8:42 AM (in response to amanda2387)
    Congrats on finishing, Amanda! Good Job! I ran my 4th 1/2 marathon last week (10/18), and here's what I normally do after the race: First thing after I get home from the race, I take a cold soak in the tub for about 15 minutes. After a shower and some food, I plop down in my easy chair. After about 15 minutes, I force myself up and walk around the house for a few minutes. My legs are usually killing me during this time, but I repeat this process throughout the afternoon and evening. I take some ibuprofen at bed time, and the next day I feel almost no soreness at all. I always take the day after a race off, as much to celebrate my deed as to recover. On Tuesday and again on Thursday, I do 3 miles at an easy pace. The Tuesday run is usually a little rough, but the Thursday run is always better. On Saturday, I do 5 miles at an easy pace, and by the following week I am ready to resume my normal running schedule. This routine works for me no matter what my level of traning is going into the race. (I can say that because I didn't train very well for this last one, and my finishing time was well off my PR.) I hope this helps you in future 1/2 marathons. Keep running!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...