Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5088 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2009 1:57 PM by jasonmellet
jasonmellet Pro 77 posts since
Jul 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 23, 2009 1:27 PM

My ironman 70.3 dreams, oh and a daughter on the way!

Next year i plan on doing my first 70.3. It is going to be the buffalo springs lake 70.3 in lubbock texas. If anybody is interested in closely following my progress, races and training you can check out my blog at http://jasonmellet.blogspot.com/

The thing is this though. I don't want to just compete. I am hoping to win my age group. i know these are some lofty goals but i am super competitive and really like winning. I think i have enough time to do it. Its only in june but the problem i might face is that i will become a father for the first time here in the next 7 days. Wife is due for a C section next friday morning. So that could be interesting. Maybe we can use this thread as i noticed some other people have the same goals for next year including some already have plans for an ironman in 2011.

i am planning on something like 5 olympic races next year and maybe 2 70.3's.

we will see what happens

jason

Jason Mellet

Im racing my first full ironman in may 2011. I am raising money for alzheimer's whilst im training for it. You can find out more in my blog on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/2e8sazl

Here is my Alzheimer's donatation page.

http://tinyurl.com/23fqnhf

• Tri 2 Do It Pro 84 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008

Congratulations onf becoming a father for the first time!  It is a life changing event and defnitely for the better.

As far as your goal of winning your age group, that's awesome.  If you've already competed in sprint or Olympic distance triathlons and placed near the top, then there's no reason to doubt that with continued hard training you can keep improving and be an age-group contender in a 70.3.

Best of luck in fatherhood and triathlons...

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008

Hi Jason,

I did stop by your blog & thanks for commenting on mine too!

Motivation is huge - if you can keep your competitive spirit going and avoid injury or illness during peak times, you'll set yourself up a for a grand race.

Something to think about, can you define success for next year's 70.3 in additional ways? Over things that you have "control" over on race day? For example, you can't control the weather, freak accidents, or what other semi-pro athletes may be in your agegroup. So if winning your agegroup is your only measure, you could be in trouble if just one of this categories goes wrong.

I'm NOT suggesting to dump your goal of winning. I have no problems with that at all, go for it. Attack it. Crush it. I'm wondering if you want to add additional targets that will help you see and measure improvement over the season. Examples: increase in power, cutting time, making good nutrition choices, staying strong mentally, using good technique. What do you think? Is it too out there?

And, being a parent & a triathlete is possible and can be a good thing. But, be careful. I've seen & heard too many stories of ironwidows/widowers when things get screwed up.

My latest post on triathlon & the family is here, thanks again for commenting. http://ironmakeover.blogspot.com/2009/10/triathlon-family-legotown.html

Keep in touch,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• Ally Bee Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    Jason - i'm writing this at midnight after having been asleep for the last 2.5 hours hoping to get up and get a swim in early. I am up now b/c my 4 year old decided she was thirsty and came down and spilled an entire glass of water all over herself, her blankets, and the floor.  As one of the other people wrote about things you can't control...... Having kids is amazing and as i am considering a half iron this year (competing - not winning) - my concerns come just based on sheer training time.  Unless you don't have to work, have a wife that is a saint and will take every middle of the night feeding, or have infinite money to throw at those problems, i suggest you play it all by ear.  Just leave your goals open.  Pencil it in and work towards it, just know that there is a real possiblity that you just may prefer to sit and hold your sleeping infant for an hour or two instead of getting on your bike!  I for example am scrapping the plan to swim and really want nothing more than to sleep! you will be sucessful in your goals as long as you are realistic  - and that like the water on my floor - is liquid!  Good night - AllyBee
  • Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    just my .02 but be flexible you're going to have alot going on with your new little one and you both are going to be very busy and tired.  not saying it isn't possible but it will take a lot of communication, flexibility and creativity.  good luck and enjoy your new addition

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    8. Oct 28, 2009 7:49 AM (in response to jasonmellet)
    congratulations big daddy

say goodbye to sleep

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008

Congratulations! Welcome baby Kiera! Enjoy this transition. One thing that helped us (if you have a baby who cries a lot) is to wear earplugs when the crying gets bad. You'll still hear your baby, but it takes the edge off a high-pitch wail, and lowers the anxiety level.

Best to your new family,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• Amigold Legend 187 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007

Congrats Jason on the new addition!  Be sure and post photos on your blog. And soon you need to get that kid bikeseat...and the jogging stroller....!

Terry

• billyonson Rookie 1 posts since
    May 23, 2008

Jason, congratulations on you new addition and welcome to fatherhood.  Great timing on having your new arrival during the off season.  Is this your first?

As a parent (my youngest is two and my oldest is a sophomore in college) and a triathlete (recently completed the Floridia Challenge in Sept) I'm familiar with exciting prospects of competing and being a parent so can I give you some advice?

Enjoy fatherhood.

Seriously, enjoy being a father.  One thing about being a parent it creates and increases the unpredictability of life.  My question is doing this first year of your daughter's life why add the stress of trying to train for a 1/2.  During the first year of my oldest's life I trained for the NY marathon and you know what, my life was horrible.  You can never predict what the demands be on you or your daughter's mother.  How about if she is having trouble breast feeding are you going to still go on your 60 mi bike?  I hope not.

I would suggest putting your plans on hold for a year and keep in shape by doing sprint and olympic distances.  When you do those races, crush the competition.  Feel good that you are balancing life and training and just crush the course.  You'll have time for the 1/2 later and maybe you'll get lucky as I did when my three year old at the time starting running with me during the beach run portion of a sprint triathlon.  Very cool

Enjoy fatherhood,

Bill

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...